This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade my gpu?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade my gpu?

User Info: Super_trunkx

Super_trunkx
3 years ago#1
im currently on i7 3770k and radeon 7850 2gb should I upgrade to a R9 270X, 4GB ? Will I see a good improvement and how would this new card run next gen games? Radeon 7850 is slowly starting to show its age.
I need a girl whose name doesn't end in .JPG

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#2
The 270x doesn't have the memory bandwidth to properly utilize 4 gigs of ram. It also isn't that much faster than what you have, it's basically a 7870 with an OC vs your 7850. I'd either spend more or hold off if you want to get your money's worth.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
3 years ago#3
Unless you're willing to buy a 290, I don't think you'll see an appreciable difference worth your money.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
3 years ago#4
290s are stupid cheap on eBay. If they ever break who cares, toss it and get another. Even 780s can be had for around the 400 mark and a TI 600ish. 7950/7970 are also real cheap.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 years ago#5
Not going to be much of a power boost. so might as well stick with what you got for now.

If you are going to upgrade and want a bigger improvement save up for a R9 280, 290 or GTX 770 or 780
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: fire2box

fire2box
3 years ago#6
only if you want to run 1080p+ @ maxed out settings.

I got a 7870 and im fine with running high settings in most games. I needed to bump it to medium for Watch Dogs but we all know that game is %&# and its getting exposed even more now.
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade my gpu?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived