This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would a Windows 8 key work on 8.1 disc?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would a Windows 8 key work on 8.1 disc?

User Info: Cremacious

Cremacious
3 years ago#1
I bought Windows 8 shortly after its release when Microsoft was selling them cheap. I recently built my brother a computer and used a newer 8.1 disc. I was wondering if I could make a personal copy of his disc and use my product key from Windows 8. That way next time I do a fresh install I can skip having to download the 8.1update.

User Info: foodeater4

foodeater4
3 years ago#2
Should be fine, windows 8.1 is just an upgrade to windows 8. If you had vanilla windows 8, its just a free upgrade like a service pack and what not

User Info: Lvthn

Lvthn
3 years ago#3
foodeater4 posted...
Should be fine, windows 8.1 is just an upgrade to windows 8. If you had vanilla windows 8, its just a free upgrade like a service pack and what not

Yes, but you can't install Windows 8.1 from disk/USB/.iso with a Windows 8 key without converting the key, so there actually is not straight up crossover between keys despite the fact that the upgrade is free.

TC, I think someone once posted a key converter but I'll have to look for it. Otherwise you cannot install 8.1 directly from an 8 key, though you can install 8 and immediately update/upgrade for free after install.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would a Windows 8 key work on 8.1 disc?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived