This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a mobile computing device. Gaming laptop or convertible/tablet?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for a mobile computing device. Gaming laptop or convertible/tablet?

User Info: TehPwnzerer

TehPwnzerer
2 years ago#1
Here's the thing. I'm about to drop a grand+ on something I can store in my backpack and take with me wherever I go. My job allows me to screw the pooch providing I get the job done.

On the one hand, I'm really eyeing up the surface pro 3. Lightweight, thin, easily stashable, can pull it out with ease whenever I want to catch up on tv or read a book.

On the other hand, part of me is saying if you're going to get a surface pro, why not just get a convertible laptop such as the Lenovo Yoga or Sony Flip? That way you have that tablet form factor you want, but with a much more capable device that can act as a full PC wherever you go?

But then this third part of me is saying dude, if it's more horsepower you want out of your device, why not get a gaming laptop (inb4pharoh) so that the possibility of playing games at work is there for you to enjoy?

I'm at a crossroads. Every device I'm looking at is at most, 1200 dollars. I love the lightweight factor of a tablet, but for 1200, I could get an entire computer to take with me. If you had the money to spend on a mobile computing device, what would it be?

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
2 years ago#2
Stupid question? The **** do we know what you want it for? A smart person would reason if you want to play games, probably wouldn't go for a tablet, but if you want to "catch up on TV or read a book", a similarly smart person would reason a tablet would make more sense.

But then a smart person also wouldn't think gaming laptops are a thing, so...

User Info: TehPwnzerer

TehPwnzerer
2 years ago#3
TimePharaoh posted...
Stupid question? The **** do we know what you want it for? A smart person would reason if you want to play games, probably wouldn't go for a tablet, but if you want to "catch up on TV or read a book", a similarly smart person would reason a tablet would make more sense.

I wouldn't feel complete if I didn't get a response from you.

User Info: SleepComa

SleepComa
2 years ago#4
TimePharaoh posted...

Haha
http://gfycat.com/FoolishThinIslandwhistler

User Info: Snagg57

Snagg57
2 years ago#5
I currently have the Surface Pro 1, and from what I've been keeping track of with the Surface Pro 3 in addition to playing with a friend's SP3, is that while the SP3 is a really good product, its only good if yours is not messed up. The SP3 is having many minor bugs that may or may not annoy you, such as:

-Not Sleeping correctly and waking up in your bookbag.
-WiFi randomly not working
-Performance Throttling
-The Rear camera having worse than "acceptable" picture quality.
-WiFi Speed on battery is capped to 6-10Mbps.

Of course all of these save for the camera quality can be fixed with firmware updates. Seeing as the SP3 has only been out for around 2 weeks, Microsoft should have a patch in a week or two. (MS sends firmware updates every month)

Also something to note about the SP3 is that it has a 3:2 Aspect Ratio, so there will be some letter boxing if you watch videos.

Otherwise if all of the previous sounds reasonable for you the SP3 is a really good device for its size, being only 9mm thick it is nearly as thin as an iPad with the power of a full PC.

Then the Pros of the SP3 are:

-Extremely light device
-"8" hour battery life (Realistically expect 5-6 w/ normal workloads)
-N-Trig Digitizer pen (Some people see this as a con, but it makes no difference to me IMO)
-Intel i3, i5, or i7 ($799, $999, $1599 respectively)
-USB 3.0 port
- Micro SDXC slot (Supports up to 128GB cards)
-12in 2160x1440 display (213ppi)
-Monthly driver updates (I've never had a product that got device specific updates monthly before)

Also conveniently for you a recent comparison video between Lenovo Yoga and Surface Pro 3 has been posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6v5T5WLWjs

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 years ago#6
I haven't watched any formal reviews of it but after having seen Linus of Linus Tech Tips talk about the Pro 3 it's definitely not something I'd consider for personal use. Between the odd resolution/aspect ratio, limited expandability (single microSD slot), and just all around flimsiness (not a matter of build quality as that seems solid, it's just a combination of the design choices they made to make it as Tablet-y as possible) it just doesn't really offer anything I want.

I would pick up a random ultrabook/convertible for personal use but I wouldn't likely use it for gaming aside from minecraft which would run well enough on pretty much anything so long as the CPU held up.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for a mobile computing device. Gaming laptop or convertible/tablet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived