This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know where to start learning how to Program

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Don't know where to start learning how to Program

User Info: jonez7889

jonez7889
3 years ago#71
Pseudocode. Love it.

User Info: unsane

unsane
3 years ago#72
Orestes417 posted...
Holy hell unsane is still alive. Ye gods. Next thing you know Sheo and Kunaak will uncloak. I do agree that a whole lot of important stuff isn't touched in school and a BS by itself is not what a lot of people think it is. Basically if you go to school you'd best be hitting up internship opportunities or in field jobs before you graduate or you'll find yourself flatfooted in a field of people better prepared.

I don't want to gush here man, but I have to say it was nice to see your username pop up again in this thread after all these years. Sheograth and Kunaak bring back some great memories. Hope those guys are still at it somewhere!

@Treason, to be fair, I wasn't condoning anyone should drop out of school, but I do stick to my guns on the misguided point that education is a requirement of this industry. I disagree that calling it a fallacy is irresponsible, mostly because I've been working in this business for some time, and the number of talented devs without a college degree far outweighs those with. While one could chalk that up to coincidence or circumstance, my personal thoughts on the matter are that, in general, most mainstream universities will never be able to keep up with the breakneck pace of our industry, and most competent devs can learn their particular skill set outside of a normal class environment. And your assessment that the industry has changed in favor of an education is simply backwards -- if anything, this industry has become more welcoming to talent as a prerequisite over education in the last decade. Take it for what you will, but that's the truth of the matter.

I would also argue that, as a high school dropout, I still have a stronger understanding of math and logic than a lot of my peers. Again, this isn't tied to education, so much as personal experience. I learned the majority of my skill set outside of a normal education system, and while I'm not discounting those systems, it's somewhat laughable to insinuate that one requires an education in order to learn those ideologies. Like many of my peers, I'm an autodidact, and most of my education has been self-inflicted.

Although your statement on my ignorance might be taken as offensive, I'll forgive you on the pretense that you simply don't understand how this industry operates on a higher level. While coops and grads are an absolute mainstay of garnering talent, at least 80% of the people I work with and contract for have had an education in fields other than this one; and those that have had an education in computer sciences and engineering, have often shown up at the door with poor habits in toe, because they were forced to learn tenants of this business which have been, quite simply, deprecated.

To summarize, and sticking to my earlier point, an education in programming is not a necessity. Can it be helpful? It depends on the program; but from my own experience even the best graduates are in need of a re-education in workflow, project management, and standards driven code.
This website is best viewed with eyes open.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Don't know where to start learning how to Program

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived