This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would any of these laptops be able to run RPG Maker smoothly?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would any of these laptops be able to run RPG Maker smoothly?

User Info: JohnTheDropper

JohnTheDropper
2 years ago#1
It looks like fun. I just wanna make some games for fun. I was wondering if any of these laptops would be able to do that. The one I got now is not that great. It goes slow. Specially when I have Chrome open. But it still works so I don't wanna spend a lot of money. These are all used by the way.

http://tinyurl.com/nsycyop

PS

I absolutely do not have room for a PC and I need something I can carry with me anyways.
Philip's smart he beat the brain, I wonder if he'll beat us too someday.
But, I'm not gonna wait around to find out, I'll just keep on riding this wave.

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
2 years ago#2
Worse comes to worse, there are multiple versions of RPG Maker, so if one version has too high requirements you can choose to play a lower version of RPG Maker.

I think the newest one is RPG Maker XV: Ace, which in itself is 2 years old so requirements shouldn't be too difficult to match

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 years ago#3
Get something with a screen size greater than 1366x768. That is a requirement. RPG Maker doesn't fit properly onto a screen of that resolution.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross

User Info: ChromaticAngel

ChromaticAngel
2 years ago#4
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Get something with a screen size greater than 1366x768. That is a requirement. RPG Maker doesn't fit properly onto a screen of that resolution.

there is a workaround, but it's really inconvenient and impractical. It involves having your display extend beyond the borders of your monitor and you have to scroll around your display like an RTS map.
I am your savior. I am corruption. I am the angel, of your destruction.
I am perversion. Secret desire. I am your future, swallowed up in fire.

DarkZV2Beta
2 years ago#5
You can also use a higher resolution and scale the image down, but that's not really a great solution either.

JohnTheDropper
2 years ago#6
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Would the 15 inch and up screens be big enough?

User Info: Tekken9292

Tekken9292
2 years ago#7
I used to work with RPG Maker 2000 and XP on a laptop that was horrible even for 2007 standards. I doubt VX would run that much worse. If you can't run these programs, then that's one hell of a potato machine you got there.
PSN ID: TekkenDevil9292
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.

JohnTheDropper
2 years ago#8
It is an emachines that is like 5 years old. It does all sorts of weird stuff. Like when I open Windows Media Player for the first time in a while it will make a copy of every song in the song list. Also whenever I play Starship Trooper by Yes it freezes after like a second of getting into the acoustic part. Every single time. Doesn't do it with any other song. Plus the screen flickers now whenever I adjust it or it is touching something near its top.

I dunno much about system specs so I don't know which ones I would tell you about that are super bad.
It has 2 gigs of RAM if that is bad.

JohnTheDropper
2 years ago#9
Hey I just checked and my laptop now is at that resolution. That seems like a good sign.

DarkZV2Beta
2 years ago#10
JohnTheDropper posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Would the 15 inch and up screens be big enough?

Size isn't important. Resolution is. RPG Maker does not fit into 1366x768 on Windows Vista/7/8.

Tekken9292 posted...
I used to work with RPG Maker 2000 and XP on a laptop that was horrible even for 2007 standards. I doubt VX would run that much worse. If you can't run these programs, then that's one hell of a potato machine you got there.

XP/VX/Ace are definitely far more demanding than 98/2000/2003. Older RPG Maker programs were essentially PC RPG engines with an included development environment. XP/VX/Ace are ruby interpreter/game engine hybrids, and those ruby scripts can actually be quite demanding at times, especially large sort functions.
Newer RPG Makers also use a lot of expensive effects in software. No hardware acceleration at all, whatsoever. That blur effect when entering the menus? I made a HDR lighting effect using it, and it made every computer I tried it on chug down to single digit framerates.
Was a nice effect, though, if you could run it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would any of these laptops be able to run RPG Maker smoothly?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived