This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buying a new laptop, need expert advice.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Buying a new laptop, need expert advice.

User Info: Takuru

Takuru
3 years ago#1
My laptop had a good 6 year run but is done for.

I know nothing about the current laptop market but I've heard that you can get an excellent laptop for $500ish now unlike back when I bought my current one.

I'm going to purchase a new one this weekend and want some advice from you guys instead of just trusting the people at Best Buy/whatever about what would be the best brand for what I want to do with it. Price isn't really an issue although I'd like to keep it under $600 just to not waste money.

My dream laptop would have:

+Be extremely fast
+Be able to actually game on it
+If possible, have the ability to be able to upgrade the parts (graphic card, etc.) With my current laptop, you can't do anything to it.
+Lots of storage, I filled up 300GB on my current laptop kinda fast
+Have basic features (HDMI port is a must, mini sd, built in web camera, etc.)
+Excellent screen quality
+Be user friendly

Can you guys recommend a brand/laptop I should look at when I visit the store this weekend that has most of these features? Or am I asking for too much at that price point and need to spend more to get what I listed?
http://i.imgur.com/NkDs0L0.jpg http://i.imgur.com/5Pl1uPM.jpg

User Info: jedinat

jedinat
3 years ago#2
+Be able to actually game on it
Eh, old games and sorta recent on low maybe

+If possible, have the ability to be able to upgrade the parts (graphic card, etc.) With my current laptop, you can't do anything to it.
No.

+Excellent screen quality
No.

Or am I asking for too much at that price point
Yes.

Can you guys recommend a brand/laptop I should look at when I visit the store this weekend
lol, yeah just pop on over to Walmart and get yourself a Nabisco Astro.

User Info: Flakcon

Flakcon
3 years ago#3
The only laptop I could find that suit all that is a laptop from Sager (www.xoticpc.com) . They are built for upgrading in mind but it's not really a seamless upgrade like desktop is. You can only get parts from them to upgrade due to the fact that each laptop has a very unique hardware specification and you probably have to send it in to upgrade each time. IIRC, only the GPU could be changed. I don't know.

Another one is a Singapore based brand that you could choose your own parts as well. www.aftershockpc.com

All these laptops are above your price though
PSN: theSkarekro [Hailing from Singapore!]
AE2012: Adon Sagat Yang | Tekken: Kazuya Law Jin

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
3 years ago#4
$600 will get you one that's certainly better than your old one, but it will still be pretty basic by current standards.
Wow. Very sig. Such original. Wow.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
3 years ago#5
With that price point you will not be able to get a gaming laptop, only one that has a basic graphics card. For gaming, think more like 1000+. In general, they are more pricey than desktops for the same features.

User Info: Takuru

Takuru
3 years ago#6
Then what type of laptop should I be aiming for minus the ability to perform high end gaming or upgrade parts?
http://i.imgur.com/NkDs0L0.jpg http://i.imgur.com/5Pl1uPM.jpg

User Info: Jiazhen

Jiazhen
3 years ago#7
a refurb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-15-6-Touch-Screen-Core-i7-4500U-Black-Laptop-Refurbished/331262513804
FX 8320 | XFX 280X | 8GB | GA-990FXA-UD5 | EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r

User Info: ChickenAndJuice

ChickenAndJuice
3 years ago#8
Some dreams may come true. Unfortunately, your idea of a laptop isn't one of them. Do the common sense thing and build a desktop. Derp

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#9
Only the most expensive and bulkiest gaming laptops have upgradeable graphics cards. With most laptops you'll be limited to HDD and RAM upgrades.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#10
Takuru posted...
I know nothing about the current laptop market but I've heard that you can get an excellent laptop for $500ish now unlike back when I bought my current one.

$500 will only get you a fairly basic entry level laptop with integrated graphics and a 15.6" 1366x768 display. If you want to play games at high settings with a good screen then the minimum is still $800-$900.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Buying a new laptop, need expert advice.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived