This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of getting a Chromebook for Linux. But can Linux take advantage of LTE?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking of getting a Chromebook for Linux. But can Linux take advantage of LTE?

User Info: LyokoNinja

LyokoNinja
2 years ago#1
Before anyone says that I should just get a cheap Windows 8 laptop, I want to make this clear:
I'm not looking for a Windows device. I already have a Windows 7 desktop with my long-term sights set on a Surface Pro 3, but currently I'd just like a cheap little portable device for web browsing and minor word processing and such, as I don't have a laptop (and the OpenPandora doesn't count, imo). I don't see the point of having more than one Windows desktop or laptop (which I'll be treating the SP3 as), so I figure I might as well get a Chromebook for cheap and put Arch on it for more features.

I saw that getting a new HP Chromebook 14 will give me a free 200 MB of data from T-Mobile for the life of the device, so it's either $300 or $350 for it depending on whether I want 2 or 4 GB of RAM. If Linux can use it, then I'll be getting a new one of either of those two. Anyone know if it does, or what site I could visit to get this information?

If it can't, then there's also different models of the Acer C720. One of them is only $180 with 2 GB of RAM. All of the previously mentioned models have 16 GB of flash storage and an Intel Celeron 2955U processor. There is also a model of the Acer C720 with 4 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage, and an i3-4005U for $380, which I'll get if Linux can't use the 200 MB of data and I can justify the extra $200.

EDIT: Seems the HP Chromebook 14 with 4 GB of RAM is available on Amazon for $330. If that's what I'm getting, I'm definitely going for 4 GB of RAM.
Wanna be the biggest dreamer!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking of getting a Chromebook for Linux. But can Linux take advantage of LTE?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived