This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Everyones A Gamer Now

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Everyones A Gamer Now

User Info: GoIdenAce

GoIdenAce
3 years ago#11
HighOnPhazon posted...
Read the topic: Everyone is gay now.

And I am like "yeah pretty much."

i second this
NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS3+2, XBOX360, WII+GC, WIIU and a gaming PC with a library of over 1000 games for over 15 years
I dare you to ever call me a casual gamer

User Info: urukhai2005

urukhai2005
3 years ago#12
That's just casual gaming on mobile devices.
"Nothing is impossible when you have complete control of the environment..."

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
3 years ago#13
Ugh I hate when we have to talk about something as arbitrary as labels. We're so anal about a specification, a line, a threshold, a list of criteria to be something that we made up. We forget the whole point of labels in the first place. I classify people only for the sake of simplifying one's person so that if I were to talk to another person, I could quickly describe someone in few words and the other person could make safe assumptions based on the label as we commonly accept them. So, if I call someone a gamer, the other person would pretty much assume "oh, they probably play games as a main hobby." To that effect, I wouldn't call everyone a gamer using the article's definition. And I get annoyed if someone calls him/herself a gamer if they only play casual games. Not because I have some silly notions about what is a real game or not, but because it's just de facto labeling. Like, just because I like to play a couple pickup games or go biking, I wouldn't call myself an athlete because the general understanding of an athlete just doesn't fit me well.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: Covenant

Covenant
3 years ago#14
The gaming population changes over time and you eventually stop being the core demographic and the terminology no longer describes you. Pretty soon it will have been a decade since I stopped being a "gamer".

GoIdenAce
3 years ago#15
I feel like this is just an unfortunality that has come with our culture as a whole

first, geeks, nerds, gamers, whatever, were a small group, and all outcasts, whom found peace with eachother

then some "geek" stuff started being more popular, mostly thanks to the NES and starwars and stuff, but was still a minority

thanks now to crap like mobile games, BBT, the IT crowd, among other things, geek culture and games have leaked so far into everything, it is the main culture

I will paraphrase a specific villain here when i say "when everyone is a geek/nerd/gamer, no one will be"
NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS3+2, XBOX360, WII+GC, WIIU and a gaming PC with a library of over 1000 games for over 15 years

User Info: 19eighty7

19eighty7
3 years ago#16
HighOnPhazon posted...
Everyone is gay now.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#17
RpgRagnarok posted...
I don't see why anyone should be affected by this?
Gaming has become so common in our generation now, I don't see the point of defining a person as a "gamer"
Just like you don't describe a person who listens to music alot as "Listener" or a person who watches TV alot a "Watcher"
All of these are a form of mainstream entertainment that everyone enjoys

You call people who skate skaters. You call people who hunt hunters. It's a pretty common form of hobby labeling.

Music and TV are entirely passive and non participatory, and as such, don't fit that particular wording.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross

GoIdenAce
3 years ago#18
DarkZV2Beta posted...
RpgRagnarok posted...
I don't see why anyone should be affected by this?
Gaming has become so common in our generation now, I don't see the point of defining a person as a "gamer"
Just like you don't describe a person who listens to music alot as "Listener" or a person who watches TV alot a "Watcher"
All of these are a form of mainstream entertainment that everyone enjoys

You call people who skate skaters. You call people who hunt hunters. It's a pretty common form of hobby labeling.

Music and TV are entirely passive and non participatory, and as such, don't fit that particular wording.

i blame smart phones

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
3 years ago#19
The need to play is an inherent human trait. It's programmed into our DNA. It's the most efficient way for us to learn and grow
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Everyones A Gamer Now

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived