This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Radeon 6950 fan speed constantly at 100%.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Radeon 6950 fan speed constantly at 100%.

User Info: xX Joshy Xx

xX Joshy Xx
3 years ago#11
Bump
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
3 years ago#12
xX Joshy Xx posted...
Setzera posted...
xX Joshy Xx posted...
Temp sensors say my GPU is at 1000ºC+, which obviously is wrong. Maybe that is making my GPU fan run at 100% and won't let me override it?

You may want to move your computer further away from the center of the earth, gets hot down there.

But yes, I would imagine a faulty temperature sensor is the culprit, you might be better off with a new card.

If I can't control the fan speed with CCC or Afterburner, is all hope lost for getting that done? I don't care if the GPU thinks it's 10000ºC, as long as I can change the fan speed to a audibly reasonable speed.

Unless anyone else has a solution to this, I honestly can't see a way to fix it. Especially if the CCC and AB aren't able to correct it.
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | HD 7870 2GB | 8GB | Win7 64 | ~ ~ ~ | PS4 | PS3 | Wii U |

User Info: Lvthn

Lvthn
3 years ago#13
xX Joshy Xx posted...
Setzera posted...
xX Joshy Xx posted...
Temp sensors say my GPU is at 1000ºC+, which obviously is wrong. Maybe that is making my GPU fan run at 100% and won't let me override it?

You may want to move your computer further away from the center of the earth, gets hot down there.

But yes, I would imagine a faulty temperature sensor is the culprit, you might be better off with a new card.

If I can't control the fan speed with CCC or Afterburner, is all hope lost for getting that done? I don't care if the GPU thinks it's 10000ºC, as long as I can change the fan speed to a audibly reasonable speed.

Really? What are you gonna do, just turn the fan down until it's quiet then never do anything with the card that requires full fan speed unless you manually adjust the fan first?

That sounds ghetto as f***.

User Info: MadMadMark

MadMadMark
3 years ago#14
I had a 6970 do this to me.
Temperature was -128c and I also had the fan stuck on 100%.
I removed the outer casing and disconnected the fan then rerouted the wires to the outside of the GPU case and soldered a standard fan connector on, this then went to my fan controller on my tower.
I also stuck a temperature probe to the back of the GPU board where the GPU was located to get as close as possible accurate temperature reading.
Then I just took control of the fan manually and set up a alarm on my fan controller at 75c.
I kept it like that for about a year before replacing.

User Info: Izicial

Izicial
3 years ago#15
MadMadMark posted...
I had a 6970 do this to me.
Temperature was -128c and I also had the fan stuck on 100%.
I removed the outer casing and disconnected the fan then rerouted the wires to the outside of the GPU case and soldered a standard fan connector on, this then went to my fan controller on my tower.
I also stuck a temperature probe to the back of the GPU board where the GPU was located to get as close as possible accurate temperature reading.
Then I just took control of the fan manually and set up a alarm on my fan controller at 75c.
I kept it like that for about a year before replacing.

This is a decent idea. Or if you can't do that and don't want to send it in to possibly get fixed you could always just leave it.

The worst that will happen is the fan will die sooner but that's better than not using it at all.
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_

xX Joshy Xx
3 years ago#16
I FIXED IT!!!!

All I did was switch PCI slots. I totally forgot I even had an extra. So, looks like it's the PCI slot that's shot. Dunno if that's any better, but this is much nicer right now. GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner are showing normal temperatures, and I'm able to control the fan speed.

User Info: ORANGE666

ORANGE666
3 years ago#17
Buy Windows 8
I am a Nintendo Fanboy and let me tell you, being a Drone is actually a great thing.
We have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like other fanboys

xX Joshy Xx
3 years ago#18
Welp, problem came back. Switching PCI slots fixed it for a day. I'm thinking that it's the motherboard.

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
3 years ago#19
speedfan will do it too.
"Only real men can cook bacon shirtless" me

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 years ago#20
based on that screenshot thats exactly the RPMs your fan should have at that % in afterburner.

just checked my three radeons, 100% fan speed is ~8000rpms on mine.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Radeon 6950 fan speed constantly at 100%.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived