This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are so many people buying reference cards all of a sudden?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why are so many people buying reference cards all of a sudden?

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
1 year ago#11
Some people are in a rush and need a GPU upgrade ASAP even if the price is higher and the performance is lower. Maybe their old card was busted or nonexistent or they are building a new computer right now.

Anyway, reference cards serve a purpose, some PCs cant accomodate the size or heat of a non reference card. NVidia is going for lowest common denominator.

User Info: SlyflyT

SlyflyT
1 year ago#12
I have a MSI 980ti Golden so I wont upgrade until 2022 or so. My 660ti lasted 4 years so 6 from a 980ti is possible.
YO YO YO SlickT, coolness to da max, Slick as turtle WAX!

User Info: George Trevor

George Trevor
1 year ago#13
I'm going from an msi gtx 660ti/pe to an msi gtx 1070 gaming x
i53570k-GTX1070|GBoy/Co/Advance DSLite NES SNES N64 GCube Wii WiiU|PS1-2-3|XBOX XB360|GGear MasterSystem MegaDrive MegaCD Saturn Dreamcast|AtariJaguar AtariLynx

User Info: Goldninja

Goldninja
1 year ago#14
Neo Vejiita posted...
I recall tons of people buying reference cards every time a new gen comes out.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Because those are what's out and available for purchase.

EpicKingdom_ posted...
People are impatient?

Boom. This is my first reference card and judging by what I've read before even receiving it, I probably should have waited. However, while I usually have patience, I just couldn't help myself this go around. I'll probably switch it for a custom card in a month or two.

User Info: fan360

fan360
1 year ago#15
The worst time to buy gadgets is summer.

I am not an impulse buyer.
However, I noticed that I always bought at "peak" price around May to August.

The best time to buy is Thanksgiving and Christmas.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
1 year ago#16
Blower cards are better than open air cards in mini-itx cases because you want the air to vent directly out the back rather than float about in the case.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: DiehardFFv2

DiehardFFv2
1 year ago#17
wizardmon posted...
Blower cards are better than open air cards in mini-itx cases because you want the air to vent directly out the back rather than float about in the case.

Same for SLI builds, especially when the cards are right next to each other. My 970's got almost Fermi hot despite my case having good airflow and my cable management being serviceable enough.
3570k @4.6GHz | GTX 1080 SLI | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3 + 4TB HDD

User Info: Bringit

Bringit
1 year ago#18
fan360 posted...
The best time to buy is Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Sounds kind of hellish if you're trying to keep up with current game releases too, though. At least in the summer there is often a drought as everything tends to get backended to the holiday season.
"All will be well."

User Info: Blarghinston

Blarghinston
1 year ago#19
I like the build quality of the FE. It really feels like a professional, enthusiast product.
GTX 1080 FE | 5820K 4.6ghz | 64GB DDR4 | 950 Pro 512GB | Samsung 4K

User Info: Snickleseed

Snickleseed
1 year ago#20
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Because those are what's out and available for purchase.

a combination of this, plus the lack of willpower by today's instant gratification society to wait for cheaper, better versions. "I have to have it NOW"
O.P.A.P.
Occasional Passive Aggressive Poster
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why are so many people buying reference cards all of a sudden?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived