This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on Crusader Kings 2, Rise of Nations, and Age of Mythology?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Opinions on Crusader Kings 2, Rise of Nations, and Age of Mythology?

User Info: DavidZ2844

DavidZ2844
1 year ago#1
I want to either buy one, two, or all of these, but I'd like to know all of your opinions on the three. Which of them are worth to buy at the summer sale?

For reference I've played lots of Age of Empires 2 and Civilization V, and enjoy them both. But other than that, I haven't really played any other strategy games.

User Info: Darkanagar

Darkanagar
1 year ago#2
Would enjoy Crusader Kings 2 a lot more if they just added a Season Pass for once instead of constantly dumping DLCs seperatly and having outdated DLC collection bundles.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#3
CK2 is very different. Rise of Nations and AoM are a lot like AoE2. If you like AoE2, you'll like RoN and AoM.

In CK2 you play as the leader of a medieval house and your goal is to improve your holdings, keep your vassals in check, and gain prominence through marriages, military victories, etc. It's fun. The only thing I don't like is that the vassals all blend together. So it is hard to remember who likes you, who doesn't, etc.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: SnipeStar

SnipeStar
1 year ago#4
AoM is legendary
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 year ago#5
Rise of Nations = AoE2 with more ages and national borders instead of walls
Age of Myth = AoE2 with god powers

CK2 is a strange beast. It's not like AoE2 at all. It's big. It's complicated. Sim-like, almost. It takes a long time to learn and will feel overwhelming at first. I've put quite a bit of time into it however I still don't feel like the payoff has been worth it...
https://berniesanders.com/?nosplash=true/

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#6
The payoff happens when your ruler ends up being the 2nd son of a 3rd son who takes the crown in childhood and in a state of civil war, and when he's dead he's manages to lead your conquest of all the British Isles and half of France and through marriages your house now has sights on claiming Byzantium.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 year ago#7
AndreLeGeant posted...
The payoff happens when your ruler ends up being the 2nd son of a 3rd son who takes the crown in childhood and in a state of civil war, and when he's dead he's manages to lead your conquest of all the British Isles and half of France and through marriages your house now has sights on claiming Byzantium.

Yeah yeah, it always sounds epic. But when I play it rarely feels like more than "get more dudes than the other guy, declare war, smash your dudes into his dudes, repeat."
https://berniesanders.com/?nosplash=true/

User Info: DavidZ2844

DavidZ2844
1 year ago#8
My main interest in Crusader Kings 2 is the Game of Thrones mod, which looks fantastic. However, I heard it makes lots of use of the DLC, and that makes the cost of the game significantly higher than $10. The amount of DLC the game has is insane. Otherwise, yeah, the game looks like lots of fun.

As for Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology, I think I might only choose one of the two since all three (including AoE 2) are so similiar.

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#9
IIRC you don't need all of the DLC, just the major updates. A lot of DLC is minor additions of music, units, etc. None of which the GOT mod needs.

I love the GOT mod.

User Info: Maximoom

Maximoom
1 year ago#10
Rise of Nations is like Civilization without the turn-based gameplay.

Age of Mythologies is similar to Age 2, except there are mythical units along regular medieval units.
Gigabyte H81M-H | i5 4460 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3Tech 500W Bronze
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Opinions on Crusader Kings 2, Rise of Nations, and Age of Mythology?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived