This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Image quality NVidia vs AMD

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Image quality NVidia vs AMD

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
11 months ago#1
People always only bring fps when comparing the two, but I've always noticed AMD cards have a crisper and more vivid colorful picture quality than Nvidia cards.

What's your preference, higher fps or better picture quality?

Discuss
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu
Haley Joel Osment 11 months ago#2
Nvidia cards tend to default to a limited RGB range, which is why colours look like s***. If you change it to full in the control panel, it'll look on par with an AMD card.
I see dead people.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
11 months ago#3
Haley Joel Osment posted...
Nvidia cards tend to default to a limited RGB range, which is why colours look like s***. If you change it to full in the control panel, it'll look on par with an AMD card.

Can confirm.

User Info: RandPC

RandPC
11 months ago#4
Basically identical, no real difference. It's been many many years since image quality was a differentiating factor.
The above posters are correct however, nVidia somewhat foolishly assumes almost all displays connected via an HDMI or Display Port are TV's with a limited RGB range, regardless of what the panel itself reports as it's capabilities. This makes no sense whatsoever since DP isn't even used by any TV's... but they apparently think it's a wise decision anyway.

If you're using HDMI/DP, you'll likely need to change that manually.

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
11 months ago#5
Do any/that many panels, TV or otherwise, even report a Limited RGB range these days? Seems like something that should be all but a thing of the past by now.

But yes... Nvidia Control Panel->Change Resolution->Output Range->Full

Limited looks incredibly washed out and generally pretty awful. Full looks fine.
PC (2.2): http://i.imgur.com/vcJRvxk.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
11 months ago#6
All TV's can do full RGB now. The questionable thing is why does the Chromecast default to limited RGB w/ no way to change it?!?
ya ya ya I'm Lorde ya ya

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
11 months ago#7

Maybe I'm just used to it but opening up the range made it look way too bright to me. Too harsh a contrast. It looks much nicer restricted.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
11 months ago#8
Dragon Nexus posted...

Maybe I'm just used to it but opening up the range made it look way too bright to me. Too harsh a contrast. It looks much nicer restricted.

To be fair, this could also depend on your monitor and how it handles color reproduction.

On the Dell U2414H I'm using, having it set to limited looks REALLY washed out. As though someone turned saturation and contrast to nearly minimum levels. Almost like looking through a window with a strong sun glare. It's honestly bad enough I notice it immediately whenever a driver update reverts to default for whatever reason.
PC (2.2): http://i.imgur.com/vcJRvxk.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
11 months ago#9
Even changing to full I still see AMD having the better picture
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
11 months ago#10
Supremo posted...
Even changing to full I still see AMD having the better picture

They're identical
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Image quality NVidia vs AMD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived