This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade to the 4790 k?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade to the 4790 k?

User Info: BlackBlazeQ

BlackBlazeQ
7 months ago#11
Skyrazer posted...
4790 is 3.6ghz base but turbos to 4.

The 4790k is 4ghz base but turbos to 4.4.

And no, I wouldn't upgrade from a non-k to a k unless you can get an absolutely ripper deal on a 4790k.

The prices I'm seeing for the 4790k are just stupid... that's why Imy asking for advice on buying it and it seems most people are saying it's a waste.. it's still running for like 300$
Intel I7 4790(non k) 3.6GHz,16gb RAM DDR3,GTX 1080, MSI Z97 PC mate MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!

BlackBlazeQ
7 months ago#12
Ryzeki posted...
Does your CPU have any available turbo bins? My old laptop 4720HQ was 3.4-3.6ghz or something like that, but had available one turbo bin to overclock it 200mhz, ending in 3.6ghz to 3.8ghz (quad core, single core).

Check with Intel XTU if you have any turbo bins.

Aside from that, are you looking for more than 60hz gaming? If not, you will be more than fine, for a while. You will get a small boost anyways, changing your CPU. Getting a K variation makes sense if you run a good OC and high framerate gaming.

That's the thing. Read my signature I am aiming for high framerate gaming and I was wondering if having the kids version would give me an extra boost in frames. Right now I'm doing 1440p 144hz gaming and I love it and if the 4790k can significantly improve my frames for 144hz 1440p gaming I may want to buy it considering I'm not buying another mobo for a long time.
Intel I7 4790(non k) 3.6GHz,16gb RAM DDR3,GTX 1080, MSI Z97 PC mate MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!

User Info: Skyrazer

Skyrazer
7 months ago#13
BlackBlazeQ posted...
Skyrazer posted...

And no, I wouldn't upgrade from a non-k to a k unless you can get an absolutely ripper deal on a 4790k.

The prices I'm seeing for the 4790k are just stupid... that's why Imy asking for advice on buying it and it seems most people are saying it's a waste.. it's still running for like 300$

I'm in the same boat as you man. I currently run an i5-4460 and wanted to upgrade to a 4790(k) and was getting very annoyed at how the prices were just not dropping at all. I actually just found a used 4770 (non-k) on Ebay for a decent price and got it as 4770s are not so popular compared to the Ks and so the prices are alot lower and I've only got an H97 mobo and so can't overclock anyway.
Life - A sexually transmitted disease that always results in death.

BlackBlazeQ
7 months ago#14
Skyrazer posted...
BlackBlazeQ posted...
Skyrazer posted...

I'm in the same boat as you man. I currently run an i5-4460 and wanted to upgrade to a 4790(k) and was getting very annoyed at how the prices were just not dropping at all. I actually just found a used 4770 (non-k) on Ebay for a decent price and got it as 4770s are not so popular compared to the Ks and so the prices are alot lower and I've only got an H97 mobo and so can't overclock anyway.

I was thinking of searching for a used 4790k but buying it used just don't sit well with me lol. My microcenter has like 2 of them left and they are like 279$ with tax that pretty much 300$ sigh...... wish they were alot cheaper

User Info: builder111

builder111
7 months ago#15
ok here's my take. you say you want to stick with the mobo for awhile. well that mobo is nothing special. I have one sitting in a box since upgrading to a maximus formula. not to say the pc mate is bad, it works perfectly fine but is not something to upgrade a cpu over.

if you want to stick with z97 for the long haul the 4790k will not disappoint. $300 is what i paid for it 2 years ago so I guess it holds its value! probably because the 6700 and 7700 are not exactly leaps and bounds ahead of it.
caps

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
7 months ago#16
Absolutely not worth it.
Like not worth it even if you could sell the current one and then buy the K version for like $40 more
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
7 months ago#17
i have a 4690k @ 4.5 ghz and was contemplating upgrading to a 4790k cause its the best my mobo can support, but considering i only use it for games and most dont really use hyperthreading, and i only game at 60 fps on my living room tv its probably completely pointless right? especially for the price tag.

i dont feel like overhauling all my stuff and it seems like my cpu is already a couple generations old. though it still seems to keep up just fine with all my games so far. id probably just be better off upgrading my 970 when games get too demanding i figure
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
7 months ago#18
I can't imagine buying a non-k processor to begin with honestly..
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: yutterh

yutterh
7 months ago#19
If your going to upgrade into a K get the 7700K. Be a much better upgrade.

edit: NVM i forgot you need DDR4 memory for a 7700k.
i7-5820K 3.3GHz, Asus X99-DELUXE, Corsair H110i GTX, 850 EVO 1TB, EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX2.0, Corsair 760T, EVGA 850W, Orion Spark, Proteus Core, Benq BL3200PT

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
7 months ago#20
yutterh posted...
If your going to upgrade into a K get the 7700K. Be a much better upgrade.

edit: NVM i forgot you need DDR4 memory for a 7700k.

And a new mobo. Geeze, it's like people are intentionally obtuse
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade to the 4790 k?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived