This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade to the 4790 k?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade to the 4790 k?

User Info: Chass1990

Chass1990
6 months ago#21
no wtf? Why anyone would consider spending this amount of money for very miniscule to no noticeable performance upgrade is kinda insane. It's one thing if you were on an i5 or something and looking for more multithreaded performance, but 4790 > 4790K is not even worth doing at a hefty discount
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 * Xeon E3-1246 v3 * Noctua NH-U12S * MSI GTX 970 * Sound Blaster Z * HyperX Savage 32GB * 850 Evo * Supernova G2 750W * Phanteks Enthoo Pro

User Info: yutterh

yutterh
6 months ago#22
wildog2006 posted...
yutterh posted...
If your going to upgrade into a K get the 7700K. Be a much better upgrade.

edit: NVM i forgot you need DDR4 memory for a 7700k.

And a new mobo. Geeze, it's like people are intentionally obtuse

yes, the mobo part was assumed with needing ddr4 memory. But i was going off of them both being 1151 sockets. I always forget that the skylake going to ddr4 was a big change.
i7-5820K 3.3GHz, Asus X99-DELUXE, Corsair H110i GTX, 850 EVO 1TB, EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX2.0, Corsair 760T, EVGA 850W, Orion Spark, Proteus Core, Benq BL3200PT

User Info: DotA_GC

DotA_GC
6 months ago#23
This is why I always tell people to max out the CPU socket in your mobo when you build to start out with. Even at the expense of a GPU. the GPU you can upgrade basically every year. The CPU you are stuck with unless you start from scratch, not a a cost effective upgrade.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: MetalMilita#1420 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Can't miss stream: I will liquid cool your bible with a stream of piss.

User Info: yutterh

yutterh
6 months ago#24
DotA_GC posted...
This is why I always tell people to max out the CPU socket in your mobo when you build to start out with. Even at the expense of a GPU. the GPU you can upgrade basically every year. The CPU you are stuck with unless you start from scratch, not a a cost effective upgrade.

Well i feel it's the mobo thats most important. especially if you get a budget cpu to start with. As long as it has the features need for easy upgrades like the cpu, memory, and graphics your golden. I am pissed because i thought the 2011 would last longer then this. My 2011 mobo is basically useless if i want to upgrade. I now have to buy a new cpu and mobo if i want to upgrade. Luckily my ram should be able to be carried over.
i7-5820K 3.3GHz, Asus X99-DELUXE, Corsair H110i GTX, 850 EVO 1TB, EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX2.0, Corsair 760T, EVGA 850W, Orion Spark, Proteus Core, Benq BL3200PT

User Info: BlackBlazeQ

BlackBlazeQ
6 months ago#25
Thank you for your input guys. Well it seems like I should NOT buy the 4790k although I thought the higher clock speed going from 3.6 to 4.0 plus boost to 4.4 would somewhat make it worth it but I guess not. I guess I'll be fine with th3 4790 3.6ghz until I upgrade in like 2 years. 300$ is alot to spend do for just a few extra fps.

Would the higher clock speed on the 4790 k even make that big of a difference in fps anyway. I guess I should look at some vids and benchmarks of that cpu and my gpu..
Intel I7 4790(non k) 3.6GHz,16gb RAM DDR3,GTX 1080, MSI Z97 PC mate MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
6 months ago#26
BlackBlazeQ posted...
Thank you for your input guys. Well it seems like I should NOT buy the 4790k although I thought the higher clock speed going from 3.6 to 4.0 plus boost to 4.4 would somewhat make it worth it but I guess not. I guess I'll be fine with th3 4790 3.6ghz until I upgrade in like 2 years. 300$ is alot to spend do for just a few extra fps.

Would the higher clock speed on the 4790 k even make that big of a difference in fps anyway. I guess I should look at some vids and benchmarks of that cpu and my gpu..

Have a 4790k myself and will say your making the right decision to not spend 300 bucks just for the k version. That said the extra processing power of the k does actually come through atleast for the process heavy games I run and *cough* emulation *cough*. Do a lot of process heavy things such as photoshop illustrating and 3d and you can very noticeably see how that extra speed helps when handling bigger files/brushes.

That said the only price Id accept getting up to a k version would be if I can sell the old processor and use that cash + $50 maybe 70 extra to buy a K version.

Honestly though I see us instead of upgrading to a new processor we'll instead be going to a new mobo+cpu instead in the next 2 years, since our LGA1150 socket is pretty much at the end of its rope tech-upgrade wise. So id rather save up for that instead as well since once you get a 4790k you'll already be wanting to upgrade again with it becoming old just in general.

User Info: BlackBlazeQ

BlackBlazeQ
6 months ago#27
Yewolife posted...
BlackBlazeQ posted...

Have a 4790k myself and will say your making the right decision to not spend 300 bucks just for the k version. That said the extra processing power of the k does actually come through atleast for the process heavy games I run and *cough* emulation *cough*. Do a lot of process heavy things such as photoshop illustrating and 3d and you can very noticeably see how that extra speed helps when handling bigger files/brushes.

That said the only price Id accept getting up to a k version would be if I can sell the old processor and use that cash + $50 maybe 70 extra to buy a K version.

Honestly though I see us instead of upgrading to a new processor we'll instead be going to a new mobo+cpu instead in the next 2 years, since our LGA1150 socket is pretty much at the end of its rope tech-upgrade wise. So id rather save up for that instead as well since once you get a 4790k you'll already be wanting to upgrade again with it becoming old just in general.

I only use my pc for gaming and I think the 4790 should handle that for a couple of years I hope lol. I agree it's best to just save up for a whole different build rather than upgrading the cpu in an already dating socket.

I want my next build to either max out 1440p 144hz or 4k 100hz. Time will tell what kinda build I'll make or what new cpu gpu architecture will be out by then. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Again thanks for the help guys and if you have anymore input please keep posting!
Intel I7 4790(non k) 3.6GHz,16gb RAM DDR3,GTX 1080, MSI Z97 PC mate MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!

User Info: DotA_GC

DotA_GC
6 months ago#28
yutterh posted...
DotA_GC posted...

Well i feel it's the mobo thats most important. especially if you get a budget cpu to start with. As long as it has the features need for easy upgrades like the cpu, memory, and graphics your golden. I am pissed because i thought the 2011 would last longer then this. My 2011 mobo is basically useless if i want to upgrade. I now have to buy a new cpu and mobo if i want to upgrade. Luckily my ram should be able to be carried over.

is the 5820k really starting to feel dated..? my 3770k seems fine still. honestly i think the DDR3 is a bigger bottleneck than the actual CPU
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: MetalMilita#1420 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Can't miss stream: I will liquid cool your bible with a stream of piss.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade to the 4790 k?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived