This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many people still rip on gaming laptops now?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do so many people still rip on gaming laptops now?

User Info: TrueKu

TrueKu
5 months ago#51
Because they're not what I'm looking for in a laptop.
They're a different category. Like tablets.
Poor battery life, huge power consumption, large, heavy, heat monsters.

It's a niche market. It's ridiculous that people want one "for school." Are you going to bring a 1000FT extension cord with you too?
You need a gfx card to run powerpoint and word? to run notepad?
Chief Scientician

User Info: Bossdog421

Bossdog421
5 months ago#52
I switched to laptops from desktops years ago. My job used to require me to travel a lot. It's a lot cheaper to spend your extra time in a hotel gaming than it is at random bar (safer on relationships as well)

Now i don't travel but i use my laptop for work too. It needs to be portable but super light isnt a requirement, speed is. At home, I love that i'm not tied to a desk or taking up the TV. I can game from my la z boy, watch something on TV, and still be somewhat social with the family.

Pretty much every complaint is bulls***.

Heat? Computers get hot. I've had desktops get way hotter than any of my past 3 laptops. As long as buy a decent gaming laptop brand the cooling is just fine. If you want to overclock you will need some additional cooling (just like a desktop)

Performance? Yeah my 1070 and i7 7700k do just fine.

Price? At the time i purchased this laptop i priced out building a comparable desktop system including a comparable monitor (yes the screen would have been bigger), keyboard and some of the other bells and whistles. The laptop was less than $200 bucks more when it was all set, done and with shipping costs. Being portable is well worth the minimal price increase. Yes I could have cut corners and got a cheaper desktop with similar specs, but i wouldn't have. I could have gotten a cheaper laptop too but standards are a thing. I'm sure prices have changed now.

Lifespan - My first gaming laptop, a Sager, is still in use by my wife. That thing is over 10 years old and still kicking. It shows it's age but any computer from 10 years ago would too.

Some of the more true issues would be:

Battery life. Yes you are not going to get 12 hours of use out of a gaming laptop laptop. There are plugs everywhere. No i don't game at the park, nor would i want. So yes you are still tied to an outlet but moving a laptop around is WAY easier than moving a desktop... I used to do a lot of lan party moves in the 90s.

Upgrading - There are ways to upgrade. Harddrives and memory are easy enough, other things are either impossible or limited at best. It takes a bit a skill to do but building a PC used to too. It's one feature of PC gaming that isn't fully there. Tech advancements could change this though.
What makes a man, is it the power in his hands? Is it his quest for glory ?Give it all you got, to fight to the top, so we can know your story.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
5 months ago#53
TrueKu posted...

If they're in an 3D/CAD/Engineering/programming etc. degree program they'd definitely want portable power.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Forte_Lambardi

Forte_Lambardi
5 months ago#54
Bossdog421 posted...
Upgrading - There are ways to upgrade. Harddrives and memory are easy enough, other things are either impossible or limited at best. It takes a bit a skill to do but building a PC used to too. It's one feature of PC gaming that isn't fully there. Tech advancements could change this though.

There are also services that will pre-build a system (Desktop) for you. All it takes is a bunch of going through lists (albeit at a higher price point) and figuring out how much you wanna spend.

Bossdog421 posted...
Heat? Computers get hot. I've had desktops get way hotter than any of my past 3 laptops. As long as buy a decent gaming laptop brand the cooling is just fine. If you want to overclock you will need some additional cooling (just like a desktop)

More likely because heating and power draw. Desktops can pull more power than Laptops would by design. The good designed laptops can control power draw and heat simultaneously why others either go one way or the other.

I personally don't see a point in getting a gaming Laptop. As Bossdog already said, if you travel quite frequently and need something mobile a gaming laptop would be your only option, realistically. Though Desktops are typically power houses and afford more freedom in upgrades, Gaming Laptops are definitely getting better than what they used to be. However, I don't feel like they can be compared as it's apples to oranges as far as design logic, and mobility.
Ignorant people learn, stupid people do not.
Splatoon: IGN - Blues

User Info: dogwarrior

dogwarrior
5 months ago#55
Tablets are better and easier options to being on the go. Anything that requires more utility is better done on a pc. The only place I see laptops in the wild are the Wi-Fi freeloaders at Starbucks and McDonald's. The people I've known with gaming laptops use them almost exclusively at home anyway, which seems counter intuitive when space isn't an issue.
Steam- SonofClap | PSN - AstrayDream | XBL - AstrayRED JG | 3570K - GTX 1080Ti

TrueKu
5 months ago#56
JKatarn posted...
TrueKu posted...

If they're in an 3D/CAD/Engineering/programming etc. degree program they'd definitely want portable power.

You can do all those on Intel graphics. For actual processing, you do that via command line, sending a job to a cluster/processing rig/use remote desktop/GridComputeEngine/etc.
Chief Scientician

TrueKu
5 months ago#57
And the people requesting gaming laptops always want high gfx with long battery life.
Sorry, but the laws of physics haven't been upgraded yet.

You still need one of these if you want to be on the go:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2-000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-Eco-Throttle-and-Oil-Alert-EU2000T1A1/206055241
Chief Scientician

TrueKu
5 months ago#58
Potentially, AMD could create a gaming SoC with reasonable power consumption ... and that's only because of a breakthrough from a gardening immigrant at UC Berkeley who thought of modeling transistors after a garden hose and come up with FinFET - all the power efficiencies you just see today from Nvidia/Intel/AMD are the result of 1990s technology.
Chief Scientician

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
5 months ago#59
TrueKu posted...
You can do all those on Intel graphics

Uh, no, have you ever actually done any modern CAD/3D work on integrated? What a ludicrously ignorant statement, but then again, this is GameFAQs.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
5 months ago#60
because they're the equivalent to those racist neckbeards out there. If you don't "build your own" PC then you're different, and being different is bad.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do so many people still rip on gaming laptops now?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived