This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What should I test to see if my laptop recovered from water damage?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What should I test to see if my laptop recovered from water damage?

User Info: Star_Nuts

Star_Nuts
4 months ago#1
I spilled water on my laptop yesterday and after letting it dry, it's surprisingly working. Internet works and now I'm curious what else I should test. What are typical issues with water damage?
Not changing this sig until the Chargers win the Super Bowl - 31 Dec 2012
http://therealkenjones.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/chargers-logo.gif

User Info: Cryptarch

Cryptarch
4 months ago#2
If any of the buttons on the keyboard have stopped working.

User Info: d_parker

d_parker
4 months ago#3
Not to be a downer but don't get too excited.

My stepfather dumped tea on his laptop, it worked but there were a variety of key issues that popped up later on after we thought all was good.

Hopefully you dodged a bullet.

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 months ago#4
Well, step 1 is not booting it until you've let it sit for a while and fully dry out with a bag of rice. . . you're kind of late on that part now, so there's nothing you can really do now, any damage was done the second you turned it on without letting it dry more. Hopefully it dried out over night, but most people usually give them a few days at least to be safe
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#5
Knighted Dragon posted...
Well, step 1 is not booting it until you've let it sit for a while and fully dry out with a bag of rice.

Pretty sure that's an urban legend. All it does it get rice all over your electronics.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#6
You can buy parts separate they will have a small plastic like tab if the motherboard is not fried just take it apart and replace it.
Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000BWS W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
4 months ago#7
Dragon Nexus posted...
Well, step 1 is not booting it until you've let it sit for a while and fully dry out with a bag of rice.

Pretty sure that's an urban legend. All it does it get rice all over your electronics.

The point is to have some sorta desiccant to help speeding up the drying process, rice just being one of the many easily accessible natural form of it when you don't have real desiccant packs with you.

And with some actual common sense, you obviously don't merely spread the rice across whatever electronic product you need to dry up. That's just f***ing dumb.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
4 months ago#8
Dragon Nexus posted...

No... You leave the rice on your keyboard overnight. The Rice attracts Asians that fix your PC while you sleep. (this is an old joke but still funny)
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 months ago#9
That joke was considered funny at some point?
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#10
CursedPanther posted...
The point is to have some sorta desiccant to help speeding up the drying process, rice just being one of the many easily accessible natural form of it when you don't have real desiccant packs with you.

And with some actual common sense, you obviously don't merely spread the rice across whatever electronic product you need to dry up. That's just f***ing dumb.

Also common sense, rice is a seed which is not porous until it's heated in water, so the dry, solid rice covered in starch will absorb only slightly better than leaving it to dry in the open air.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What should I test to see if my laptop recovered from water damage?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived