This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath to launch in 3 hours

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath to launch in 3 hours

User Info: ZaruenKosai

ZaruenKosai
2 months ago#141
Monopoman posted...
Mostly true melee skills are bottom tier.

so after all the people praising how good melee is , the truth comes out!

as usual melee is still crap.. thanks for posting the truth atleast. I'm glad atleast one person is an honest player.

I will continue not to play path of exile until true melee is buffed.
I6700K - ASUS R9 390 STRIX - 16 Gigs DDR4 3200 - Z170-XP - Corsair 500R
"You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!"

User Info: Ryyaann_Is_Band

Ryyaann_Is_Band
2 months ago#142
You'll be missing out then =(, since this expansion has been the biggest one so far in terms of both content and players.

If you won't accept that skills like Sunder, Frost Blades, and even Cyclone are incredibly FOTM right now, and that they are actually Melee, then I have 2 questions:
- a) What do you categorize those skills as then? They certainly aren't Spells, and they certainly aren't Bow Skills, so they're Melee. Even has the Melee tag on the skill themselves + use Melee weapons + affected by Melee modifiers
- b) How would you define "true melee" then? Are you talking about s*** like Glacial Hammer, where you actually have to touch mobs just to deal damage to them? Because unfortunately, stuff like that will never be Red Map viable because you actually have to walk up to enemies, which isn't exactly a problem exclusive to PoE, but rather, every video game ever.
........... - Take any video game, three different characters all at max level. One Spellcaster, one Ranged, and one "true Melee". Put all of them in a level 1 zone, so it doesn't matter - they all one-shot mobs. Why does the "true Melee" character still clear slower?
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ryant12/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
2 months ago#143
This is clearly a personal thing for ZaruenKosai. Ever since post #51 it's been clear he was either yanking our respective chains or a little crazy. Best to let him be.

That said, Cyclone is just as "true melee" as Glacial Hammer. You are at close-range striking the enemy with your weapon. In all fairness it is a bit silly to call Sunder "melee" rather than just "ranged physical" but the forced melee classification is important because it needs damage scaling from the 'red' side of the passive tree and from powerful melee weapons. Cyclone on the other hand is pure melee.

Ryyaann_Is_Band
2 months ago#144
Oh wow I forgot about post #51 lol. Yeah I just wanted to pick his brain because of the unrealistic expectations. He makes it sound like the only "true Melee" skills are stuff like the default basic attack, where you need to be touching the guy in order to make the attack. =P.

Edit: It's like overgeneralizing and saying all Minions suck because Animate Guardian sucks. You need to take a step back and look at everything available.

User Info: LtMessiahDM504

LtMessiahDM504
2 months ago#145
Ryyaann_Is_Band posted...
Oh wow I forgot about post #51 lol. Yeah I just wanted to pick his brain because of the unrealistic expectations. He makes it sound like the only "true Melee" skills are stuff like the default basic attack, where you need to be touching the guy in order to make the attack. =P.

Edit: It's like overgeneralizing and saying all Minions suck because Animate Guardian sucks. You need to take a step back and look at everything available.

I wouldn't regulate true melee to glacial hammer distance. But I sure as s*** wouldn't say Sunder or Frost Blades. I would say Ice Crash is probably the stopping point on distance to be considered melee.

Ryyaann_Is_Band
2 months ago#146
Hit Tier 9 Maps last night and found this bad boy.
https://i.imgur.com/5ubPlHB.png

Gonna try and Bless it up for at least 20% Phys. I think I can get around 1-2 exalts from it. If only that WED was higher though, damn.

ZaruenKosai
2 months ago#147
Ryyaann_Is_Band posted...
You'll be missing out then =(, since this expansion has been the biggest one so far in terms of both content and players.

If you won't accept that skills like Sunder, Frost Blades, and even Cyclone are incredibly FOTM right now, and that they are actually Melee, then I have 2 questions:
- a) What do you categorize those skills as then? They certainly aren't Spells, and they certainly aren't Bow Skills, so they're Melee. Even has the Melee tag on the skill themselves + use Melee weapons + affected by Melee modifiers
- b) How would you define "true melee" then? Are you talking about s*** like Glacial Hammer, where you actually have to touch mobs just to deal damage to them? Because unfortunately, stuff like that will never be Red Map viable because you actually have to walk up to enemies, which isn't exactly a problem exclusive to PoE, but rather, every video game ever.
........... - Take any video game, three different characters all at max level. One Spellcaster, one Ranged, and one "true Melee". Put all of them in a level 1 zone, so it doesn't matter - they all one-shot mobs. Why does the "true Melee" character still clear slower?

i definitely consider cyclone true melee... also one of my favorite skills cuz it reminds me of barbarian spin to win from Diablo 3 lol.... I will probably give Path of exile another shot at some point soon... so busy with work these days that I feel that if i dont start playing soon i might have to end up waiting until the next league starts again which i dont want to do...... I only have about 3 - 5 hours a day to play except weekends i can play alot more ... i just started working for a food delivery chat support agent... and i work about 45 hours a week. so it would be nice to be able to come home and play some Path of Exile on my downtime... it would feel really rewarding!

Honestly.. im not that picky.... as i may havei nitiall come across as.... as long as its not obviously a ranged skill disguised as melee.. I prefer skills that surround you as opposed to skills that shoot projectiles though...

how long is this current league anyways? Im just wiating to install ultra high speed next weekend and i can start playing! I hope it wont be too late by than. (i havent been working until the last month so im extremely outdated on games like diablo 3\path of exile.)
Lifes been tough but things are finally starting to come t ogether again so I feel its the right time for me to start playing a game like path of exile..
if youre wondering, im using LTE internet from my phone right now to browse the net and chat on game of thrones\reddit and gamefaqs.

Skills I consider Melee are.

Heavy Strike\Cleave
Sunder\Earthquake
Dominating Blow
Glacial Hammer
Ground Slam
Infernal Blow
Leap Slam
Molten Strike
Shield Charge
Static Strike
Sweep
Vengeance
Vigilant Strike

Blade Flurry
Cyclone
Double Strike
Dual Strike
Elemental Hit
Frenzy
Puncture
Lacerate
Reave
Riposte
Viper Strike

These two are considered more ranged melee but i like their visuals so i accept it for these 2.

Lightning Strike (Lesser Extent.)
Frost Blades (Lesser Extent

I may have missed af ew...

ElDudorino
2 months ago#148
Damn, not bad. I ran some Tier 8 maps today, haven't found my first Tier 9 yet and I tend to just play my own maps so it's a matter of waiting for one to drop. I found my first-ever unique Cartographer's Strongbox in one of them, so that was cool. I've been finding a lot of unique strongboxes and a lot of in-map Zanas this league, which is sweet, but so far zero exalts.

I'm also second-guessing this trap Saboteur I made, though. This is the first time I've played a build that can't leech so I'm chugging mana potions and once my limited energy shield drops I'm basically just running away and hoping it'll recharge since I can't charge it myself, and any kind of desecrated ground or weak flicker striker breaks the recharge. The nerf to ES certainly isn't helping, and on top of it all I've been pretty underwhelmed by the scaling on my trap damage. On the other hand I have a level 38 Sunder berserker who I made to dominate the low-level arena for Leo rep-gathering purposes but I'm considering leveling him past the arena and just making him my main for the league.

But then I guess I'd have to create a new arena champion or just hope to get lucky with my perma-28 character? God damn you, PoE...

ElDudorino
2 months ago#149
ZaruenKosai posted...
and Sunder,, is that the earthquake like skill?

Sunder does make you smack the ground but it's kind of a 'Ranger-like' shockwave. Maybe you have Ground Slam in mind, which explodes the ground in a cone in front of you. Then there's a skill that's actually called Earthquake, which has you smack the ground and then 1.5 seconds later (or faster if you use Reduced Duration, etc) it explodes a circular area around that spot.

This league just started a week ago, so you're right on time to start it once you get your internet.

ZaruenKosai
2 months ago#150
ElDudorino posted...
ZaruenKosai posted...
and Sunder,, is that the earthquake like skill?

Sunder does make you smack the ground but it's kind of a 'Ranger-like' shockwave. Maybe you have Ground Slam in mind, which explodes the ground in a cone in front of you. Then there's a skill that's actually called Earthquake, which has you smack the ground and then 1.5 seconds later (or faster if you use Reduced Duration, etc) it explodes a circular area around that spot.

This league just started a week ago, so you're right on time to start it once you get your internet.

yeah i just took a quick look at the current skill gems and saw there are 3 earthquake like skills.. Sunder Earthquake and ground slam.

I consider all 3 melee though in all honesty...

Also my other biggest issue was that poison crit builds were considered the best melee builds.... i always felt it was like go poison or go home.. im hoping I was wrong or this is not the case anymore as i detest poison crit builds... im not a big fan of crit in general.

im also hoping that i was wrong to assume that the melee skills i listed that most of them require expensive gear to supplement their power in comparitive to pure ranged builds.... i dont like having to farm endlessly to be comparable to a ranged build ..

Like if i need 3 - 5 exalts but a ranged build with equal power only needs 0.5 or 1... it kinda frustrates me.

or worse... 10 - 15 exalts compared to 3.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath to launch in 3 hours

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived