This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath to launch in 3 hours

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath to launch in 3 hours

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 months ago#31
DaedalusEx posted...
Someone hit level 100 last league in under 14 hours.

I can't even imagine how that's possible. But also, Jesus, that's a long play session.

refmon posted...
Whats a fun class? I havent played diablo 2 in a long time but I did like necro and barb

I've got over 600 hours in this game but I'm still in many ways a "noob" as they say in the vernacular so I'm not the best person to recommend a build. That said, classes work differently in Path of Exile. Each class starts in a different place on the skill tree but has access to the same skills on it. Note that these are all 'passive' skills. The actual moves you use in the game all come from gems, and every class can use the same gems.

One thing about different classes however is that each class get to choose an "Ascendancy Class" that lets them hone in on specific traits, and the ones you can choose depend on the class you started as. There actually is a Necromancer, if you start playing as a witch and then choose that as her Ascendancy Class later. The Necromancer gets bonuses to undead summoning, unsurprisingly. Or the witch can grow into an Elementalist that in addition to elemental damage-focused skills also has bonuses related to golems, which are summons that give you stat buffs in addition to regular tanking/offense duties.

If you like the barbarian, you have all kinds of cool build options available to you although I tend not to play that type of character in PoE because I'm not a huge fan of getting up close and personal with enemies that deal the kind of damage they do in this game. You might want to look up popular Berserker builds (Berserker is an Ascendancy Class that the Marauder can grow into) because that's the most traditionally Barbarian-like class. Path of Exile has a *lot* of cool melee abilities and I know that Ground Slam, Molten Strike, Earthquake, and Cyclone are all popular (or were recently, I assume they still are in version 3.0) but if you check this list of melee skills you'll see there are plenty of other options floating around, without even getting into builds that revolve around the mechanics of certain unique items:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Melee_skill

User Info: ZaruenKosai

ZaruenKosai
4 months ago#32
/meleestillsucks

so

/nothanks.

Its cool to see all the changes, but the most needed change was to balance melee far better with ranged.. and it still hasnt happened despite all the rumours suggesting Fall of Oriath was supposed to bring about the legendary melee buffs.
I6700K - ASUS R9 390 STRIX - 16 Gigs DDR4 3200 - Z170-XP - Corsair 500R
"You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!"

User Info: Ryyaann_Is_Band

Ryyaann_Is_Band
4 months ago#33
Almost in Act 7, and the expansion has been a ton of fun. Can't wait to get to endgame Maps, though I hear A10 Kitava is absolutely brutal.

refmon posted...
Nice, I'll try it. Whats a fun class? I havent played diablo 2 in a long time but I did like necro and barb

Ah, if you liked Diablo 2, you're gonna love PoE then. As for something necro/barbarian-ish, hmmmm, the game actually already has a Necromancer class so that's right up your alley. Plus it's not $15 hahahaha.

ZaruenKosai posted...
/meleestillsucks

Honestly, melee is fine. Here's the Top 20 in HC Harbinger League
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6rxgax/build_diversity_in_30_12_different_ascendancies/dl8qbux/?st=j60x66a3&sh=1349f0cb

#6, #8, #14, #17, #20 are all Melee, and that's with HC factored in. The thing with any RPG game for that matter (that a lot of people don't realize) is that you could have two characters with literally identical stats (hp, dmg, etc) and the Ranged guy still has an advantage over the Melee guy, because he's ranged. Is the balance between Ranged/Spellcasters and Melee in PoE perfect? No, but it's in a much, much better place than it was before.

ZaruenKosai posted...
despite all the rumours suggesting

? , I'm curious, where did you hear these "rumors"?

And with that being said, to be fair Path of Exile / GGG isn't known for "rumors". They flat-out say explicit s*** like "We're removing Cruel/Merciless" in a Development Manifesto, and "We're buffing Scion Ascendant" in a Development Manifesto.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ryant12/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193

User Info: notSFF

notSFF
4 months ago#34
Playing currently as a melee/tank-focused Marauder that uses one handed clubs and tower shields. Sunder is broken as hell in terms of sheer damage and crowd control and I f***ing love it.

That said, I'm planning to wait a bit before playing more because the Steam achievements are currently borked to hell and the last time I played for today's Leo mission, the sound and voices started going crazy after I returned to Sarn Encampment, but maybe that will fix itself with a reset.
SteamID: tsff20
3DS Friend Code: 0147-3481-5371

User Info: ZaruenKosai

ZaruenKosai
4 months ago#35
Ryyaann_Is_Band posted...
Almost in Act 7, and the expansion has been a ton of fun. Can't wait to get to endgame Maps, though I hear A10 Kitava is absolutely brutal.

refmon posted...
Nice, I'll try it. Whats a fun class? I havent played diablo 2 in a long time but I did like necro and barb

Ah, if you liked Diablo 2, you're gonna love PoE then. As for something necro/barbarian-ish, hmmmm, the game actually already has a Necromancer class so that's right up your alley. Plus it's not $15 hahahaha.

ZaruenKosai posted...
/meleestillsucks

Honestly, melee is fine. Here's the Top 20 in HC Harbinger League
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6rxgax/build_diversity_in_30_12_different_ascendancies/dl8qbux/?st=j60x66a3&sh=1349f0cb

#6, #8, #14, #17, #20 are all Melee, and that's with HC factored in. The thing with any RPG game for that matter (that a lot of people don't realize) is that you could have two characters with literally identical stats (hp, dmg, etc) and the Ranged guy still has an advantage over the Melee guy, because he's ranged. Is the balance between Ranged/Spellcasters and Melee in PoE perfect? No, but it's in a much, much better place than it was before.

ZaruenKosai posted...
despite all the rumours suggesting

? , I'm curious, where did you hear these "rumors"?

And with . to be fair Path of Exile / GGG isn't known for "rumors". They flat-out say explicit s*** like "We're removing Cruel/Merciless" in a Development Manifesto, and "We're buffing Scion Ascendant" in a Development Manifesto.

so 5/20 HC Players use melee builds and not one are even in the top 5, and only 2 in the top 10... my point stands.

GGG constantly state that they are going to buff melee, but the buffs end up being irrelevant and still get dominated by ranged builds of the same caliber.

Not that its simple, but the most obvious factor into powering up melee is making it stronger than ranged builds.. ranged should always be weaker because the advantage is that you are ranged and already taking less damage and being able to hit and run.

also, alot of the melee viable builds require lots of expensive gear\gems meaning the only way you're going to play those builds is by buying currency or more prefrably grinding for the gear with a ranged build first thus making ranged still the better of the two.

i agree that melee is getting a little better with each patch.. except for that alot of the time, ranged also gets more powerful, again making the melee buffs once again irrelevant.

to compare

Build 1 - Melee - X Cost
Build 2 - Ranged - x\5 Cost

or

Build 1 - Melee - Same Cost - Y\3 = Power
Build 2 - Ranged - Same Cost - Y = Power

you can have 2 builds of similar strengths but with a major difference being the cost to acquire whats needed for build.

or you can have 2 builds with similar cost, but with a major difference being the power of the build.

i dont mean to bash the game, because it is an amazing game provided at no cost to the player... and the microtransactions (aside for stash which is understandable since the game is free.) are all purely aesthetic.

However whenever I play melee in the game, i alwys feel underpowered with my builds untill i acquire enough currency to gear up reasonably well , although a ranged character would not have to spend nearly as much currency for equal amount of power.

this has always been my issue with most action rpgs but with PoE it feels like the weakness shows alot more during endgame especially.
I6700K - ASUS R9 390 STRIX - 16 Gigs DDR4 3200 - Z170-XP - Corsair 500R
"You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!"

User Info: Ryyaann_Is_Band

Ryyaann_Is_Band
4 months ago#36
notSFF posted...
Playing currently as a melee/tank-focused Marauder that uses one handed clubs and tower shields. Sunder is broken as hell in terms of sheer damage and crowd control and I f***ing love it.

Haha nice! Yeah, Sunder's an incredible melee skill, especially when you start doing those chain reaction AoEs. I played a Earthquake Champion with some Sunder thrown in for ST a while ago, it was awesome.

ZaruenKosai posted...
so 5/20 HC Players use melee builds and not one are even in the top 5, and only 2 in the top 10... my point stands.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree =P, considering some of the most powerful endgame builds in the entire game are Melee.

ZaruenKosai posted...
GGG constantly state that they are going to buff melee

Where are you reading these things, if you don't mind me asking? Because here is all of the Dev Manifestos since January:
Breach and Legacy as Core Game Mechanics
Balance Changes to Chill, Shock, and Charges
Energy Shield and Life
Minion Balance Changes in The Fall of Oriath Beta
Changes to the Labyrinth
Damage Over Time Changes - Part 2
Solo Self-Found Support in 2.6.0
How We Approach Console Development
Damage Over Time Changes - Part 1
The Fall of Oriath: Beta Scope
Difficulty Levels in 3.0.0

Edit: That's not to say GGG hasn't buffed Melee in the previous patch. I'm just wondering where you see them "constantly saying they're gonna buff melee in 3.0 as a rumor".
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ryant12/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193

ElDudorino
4 months ago#37
ZaruenKosai posted...

You have to be kidding me. In a league where the obvious approach would be to avoid getting hit wherever possible, a good chunk of the top players STILL chose builds that put them closer to or on top of the things that will kill them. That doesn't tell you anything?

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
4 months ago#38
Frost Blades and Sunder are meta, everything else is s***. Cyclone is usable now but not good, still very slow clear speed.

Ancestral Warchief hardly counts as real melee.

So we have 2 melee skills that are great.

I don't think melee is absolute s*** but ranged builds certainly are a league above.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Somato

Somato
4 months ago#39
Please correct me if i am wrong, i'm only level 15 so still quite a noob

but

It seems so far that skill tree is just a bunch of passive stat boosts while actual builds and stuff come from the gems you pair up in your gear
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf

ElDudorino
4 months ago#40
Somato posted...
Please correct me if i am wrong, i'm only level 15 so still quite a noob

but

It seems so far that skill tree is just a bunch of passive stat boosts while actual builds and stuff come from the gems you pair up in your gear

Well. When someone says "build" they're referring to passives, gems, and gear. But yes, your moves come from gems. So your movement skills, auras, spells, attacks, etc- those are from your gems. The passives determine things like your stat multipliers and various modifiers to your skills such as extra summons, or life leech affecting energy shield instead of life, but without skill gems you'll just be using standard attacks on things like a low-level NPC.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath to launch in 3 hours

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived