This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is No Man's Sky worth playing now?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is No Man's Sky worth playing now?

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 months ago#31
Yeah the huge update details are out and should release today. Including limited coop.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
4 months ago#32
https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/#img

Looks pretty impressive, as in this appears to finally be the game people were expecting a year ago. I spent a lot of time with game at launch and know how shallow the gameplay was, so I'm pretty interested in exactly how much depth has been added with the "improved economies" and combat/exploration overhauls.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#33
pothocket posted...
https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/#img

Looks pretty impressive, as in this appears to finally be the game people were expecting a year ago. I spent a lot of time with game at launch and know how shallow the gameplay was, so I'm pretty interested in exactly how much depth has been added with the "improved economies" and combat/exploration overhauls.

From what I've been reading, the update hasn't really improved the depth at all. Still a pretty shallow sandbox type game it sounds like.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 months ago#34
KillerTruffle posted...
From what I've been reading, the update hasn't really improved the depth at all. Still a pretty shallow sandbox type game it sounds like.

What are you reading? Because it doesn't sound like you're reading the update notes.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#35
Damaged7 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

What are you reading? Because it doesn't sound like you're reading the update notes.

I don't recall which ones, but I read two or three reviews that had apparently previewed the update - just a day or two ago. The general sense I got is that the update definitely adds more to the game, and is overall a good update, and brings it closer in line with what people originally expected, but that the game is still basically just a shallow sandbox.

I'm not knocking the update at all - everything I read, people seem to like it. It just apparently still doesn't add a ton of depth to the game is all.

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
4 months ago#36
sonicteam2k1 posted...
no
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

pothocket
4 months ago#37
KillerTruffle posted...
Damaged7 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I don't recall which ones, but I read two or three reviews that had apparently previewed the update - just a day or two ago. The general sense I got is that the update definitely adds more to the game, and is overall a good update, and brings it closer in line with what people originally expected, but that the game is still basically just a shallow sandbox.

I'm not knocking the update at all - everything I read, people seem to like it. It just apparently still doesn't add a ton of depth to the game is all.

I think you're mistaken. No one got to preview this update. The subreddit would've been all over that information but there wasn't anything like that.

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#38
OK, I was just taking what I understood from what I read. And even watching the Atlas Rises trailer though, I honestly didn't see a lot that looks like it would add depth to the game... portals let you jump around faster than flying... that's not depth. Terraforming tools only slightly expands on terrain deformation already in the game... that's not depth... more NPC interactions and stuff isn't really depth, it's just "more." More biomes isn't depth, again, it's just "more." And so on. I guess we'll have to see if the story really adds anything substantial...

I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but nothing in the trailer really seemed to imply additional depth, so if that's what someone expected in buying it, it just seems they'd want an accurate idea of what they're really getting. Especially after the complete and utter launch disaster. The devs are not exactly known for giving accurate portrayal of ANYTHING in their game, so forgive me if I absolutely don't trust them farther than I can kick them in their descriptions of this update.

Still waiting on the game to drop to <$10 myself before I even consider it.

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
4 months ago#39
Try Subnautica if you want a game with exploring the unknown as well as building stuff.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

pothocket
4 months ago#40
I just care about depth of economy mostly. There was zero at launch even though they hyped up trading, even going so far as to having it the focus of one of the launch trailers. All of it was pointless. The store at each space station would have a few items that sold for far less or higher than normal but players could literally go to the landing area and buy the stuff from NPCs at normal prices, then turn right around and sell it back to the store at the much higher rate. It was so dumb. Other than that the best way to get money was simply wait until a planet with contraband resources shows up. Even though it was really annoying how heavily guarded those planets were it was easy enough to find a building that has a store, gather up as much as can carry, run back to the store before dying, sell and lose wanted level, repeat. Again, dumb as hell. So if the economy actually has any depth at all now it would be a huge improvement.

I also really care about the procedural generation so I appreciate new planets and stuff. I haven't seen any continents in the screenshots so I have to assume every single planet still looks like a splotchy mess of evenly distributed lakes or islands depending on how high sea level is. That's disappointing but I'm about to play after eating so I'll find out for myself soon enough.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is No Man's Sky worth playing now?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived