This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

steam gave my account some cash

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. steam gave my account some cash

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 months ago#21
captsplatter_1 posted...
guidetolife posted...
i am using steam mobile authentication hi-hacking my account should be impossible

Nothing is hackproof.

This. Especially not if OP got a keylogger or rootkit or something
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#22
guidetolife posted...
i am using steam mobile authentication hi-hacking my account should be impossible

Lol he said impossible......

Silly kid

Nothing is unhackable
Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000BWS W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#23
I've actually read that this sort of thing (loading funds into Steam Wallet) can be used as a technique to hijack Steam accounts - the hacker is able to actually provide proof of their account ownership by showing matching transaction history, and then lock you out of your account.

I've seen other suspicions that this can be a way to either test or "launder" stolen credit cards.

Neither sound great, but if you're already using 2-factor, I suspect the first instance is more likely - they're trying to prep your account for takeover or something.

Apparently, there's some payment system in Russia similar to Paypal that can supposedly "top up" people's Steam wallets using just their Steam account username. I read it online, so it must be true. If it is true though, it may be possible that there's a system in Russia that makes it easier to add/transfer funds into Steam, and that's then used as one step in attempted account hijacking.

Just to be sure, it'd be smart for TC to run full anti-virus checks on every device he has connected to Steam (phone included), then change passwords to all his accounts associated with Steam, including his email, Steam itself, etc.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. steam gave my account some cash

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived