This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Gaming is so weird

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Gaming is so weird

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
2 months ago#1
Now I should state first of all that I'm both a PC gamer and console player, mostly a Sony/Nintendo fan (but I have tried and still have an original Xbox, which is fun sometimes), but awhile ago I tried to get back into PC gaming since most of my experience over the past 15 years of gaming have been divided up into two things, Diablo 2 and MMORPGS. So here I buy a Nvidia 750TI and a fairly good computer that can run most games on high, and here I am, months later, playing old games like Killing Floor 1 and other stuff like that. I own GTA V and other high end games and I don't even feel like touching them really. Why is that? Why does it feel like old PC games were done so well in comparison to the DLC/season pass laced over-the-top 3D adventures of now?

Mind you the only newish games I've played and actually enjoyed was Mad Max and Zombie Army Trilogy so far. But they aren't DLC shove-down-your-throat types of games and mostly just fun adventures. But most of these new games give me a huge pause in ever buying a PS4/Xbox One/Switch because of the sheer amount of this type of thing happening. So I just wanted to say thank you for PC gaming for making me realize a lot of weird things about video gaming :P

Also, as an extra topic, the poll question today makes me feel so old. The last new game I bought was Diablo 3. God was that a mistake. I mean, the price of it, that game wasn't worth full price really, even if I had way more fun with it at the beginning than I do now.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
2 months ago#2
Gaming in general has sort of devolved, gone the way of pop music in that it's less and less of an art and more and more of a business every year, and business trends say to boil gaming down to a science, what makes the most money? And then they exploit those things, like cranking out a game way before it's stable, and adding microtransactions up the wazoo.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
2 months ago#3
dunkis posted...
Gaming in general has sort of devolved, gone the way of pop music in that it's less and less of an art and more and more of a business every year, and business trends say to boil gaming down to a science, what makes the most money? And then they exploit those things, like cranking out a game way before it's stable, and adding microtransactions up the wazoo.

This is so true. I f***ing hate top 40s too.

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
2 months ago#4
Can you even call pop music pop music anymore? It's all just rap music or heavy synthesized stuff that talks about girls. But I guess you could say the same about games. Is a game like Watch Dogs 2 even a game or just a bunch of memes that play on people's nostalgia? Or was the yearly space Call of Dooters adventure any different than rap music becoming all the same every year with a few different polishes here and there?

In that sense I kinda like that some companies and indie games try to emulate the past more than the new. A lot of game genres have already been perfected, it's just that when they are there is an endless supply of clones that do it worse that ruin the legacy of the original. Like how Yooka Laylee is generally a disrespect to Banjo Kazooie (I haven't played either), or Mighty No. 9 is a disrespect to Mega Man (I have played both of these, I actually liked Mighty No. 9 even if it was flawed and different). Or how any new Call of Duty disrespects the original ones in pretty much every way imaginable.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
2 months ago#5
OP I am trying to find the main idea of your post.

OptimusRekt posted...
So here I buy a Nvidia 750TI and a fairly good computer that can run most games on high

http://i.imgur.com/78nEpOw.gif
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
2 months ago#6
OptimusRekt posted...
Can you even call pop music pop music anymore? It's all just rap music or heavy synthesized stuff that talks about girls. But I guess you could say the same about games. Is a game like Watch Dogs 2 even a game or just a bunch of memes that play on people's nostalgia? Or was the yearly space Call of Dooters adventure any different than rap music becoming all the same every year with a few different polishes here and there?

In that sense I kinda like that some companies and indie games try to emulate the past more than the new. A lot of game genres have already been perfected, it's just that when they are there is an endless supply of clones that do it worse that ruin the legacy of the original. Like how Yooka Laylee is generally a disrespect to Banjo Kazooie (I haven't played either), or Mighty No. 9 is a disrespect to Mega Man (I have played both of these, I actually liked Mighty No. 9 even if it was flawed and different). Or how any new Call of Duty disrespects the original ones in pretty much every way imaginable.

pop music is just popular music, so yeah you can call it that. also, katy perry, lady gaga, etc. are all just replacing madonna and blondie, so to act as if its somehow different is a little weird. even the music sounds the same with all the synthesizers
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#7
dunkis posted...

unfortunately very true.

Indies are the last bastion of creativity.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#8
"So here I buy a Nvidia 750TI and a fairly good computer that can run most games on high"

750 TI

Good computer

pick one
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
2 months ago#9
ArkonBlade posted...
"So here I buy a Nvidia 750TI and a fairly good computer that can run most games on high"

750 TI

Good computer

pick one

Why?
It's still fine for 1080p.
Especially the older games TC is playing.

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
2 months ago#10
Watching phone-game economics -- in-game purchases, season pass, microtransactions, etc. -- poison the industry scared me for a while. But the last new PC game I bought (Stardew Valley) showed me that the future is with indie developers. I think this is especially the case with single-player games, which might otherwise disappear.
You found a stardrop! It's strange, but the taste reminds you of Shane. Your maximum energy level has increased.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Gaming is so weird

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived