This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Unreal engine games...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Unreal engine games...

User Info: OldSkoola001

OldSkoola001
4 months ago#1
Like gears 4, and hellblade, why do the textures look so muddy? Maybe thats not the right word, but they have a blurryness to them.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#2
Post processing being applied? I'm pretty sure that's not a universal feature of the engine (could be wrong of course). I suspect it's more like when Bloom effects first came out, everyone and their mother was throwing that in games, even though it made things look really blurry, glowy, and unnaturally smooth. Probably just one or more post-processing effects people are using because it "looks cool" to them and somehow makes the game more gritty and/or smooth.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

OldSkoola001
4 months ago#3
I dunno, it seems to be unreal engine specific. Like if you told me hellblade was an expansion of gears 4 id believe it (nothing to do with the gameplay, just the look of the graphics) you can tell they were made using the same set of tools.

Maybe its because they were both made for consoles as well?

It feels like it needs a high resolution texture pack or something. For those with hellblade, the nice high res image of senuas face on the start screen is what im expecting in game.

User Info: cory1225

cory1225
4 months ago#4
it's up to the devs, and on top of that it makes the games run better with lower resolution textures
i5 6600k | GTX 1080 | 16Gb

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#5
Unreal 3 and 4 stream textures from the drive each time. So they will appear muddy and slowly crisp up as the textures are loaded.
There are ini changes that can be made to remove this. But it can cause the game to stutter.
Console hard drives are painfully slow. So this feature is typically enabled for them, and planned for them.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
4 months ago#6
Unreal, unity and other retail engines are so unnecessarily taxing on your system.

I'm convinced they are in cahoots with Nvidia to force people to buy the latest gpus to play their games.

OldSkoola001
4 months ago#7
Performance isnt an issue at all, im well over 100fps at all times, its just the texture quality i feel is lacking. Feels more like a console game rather thana pc game, which i suppose is what it is after all
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Unreal engine games...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived