This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How good is my laptop at emulation?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How good is my laptop at emulation?

User Info: SaturnSnowman

SaturnSnowman
4 months ago#1
I would like to know how well it could run GameCube games roughly and past consoles. I recently bought it for school but am curious if I could use it for gaming as well. Here are the specs:

It's a Lenovo laptop that has 8 gigs of ram, 1 tb of hard drive space, an AMD Radeon R7 gpu, and A12-9720P cpu.
I like games and anime. My favorite games include the following: Mother 1-3, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Cross, Zelda LA-ALttP-OoT-MM-ALBW, and Super Smash Bros.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
4 months ago#2
Well since Gamecube Games are going to require an emulator, it depends on the emulator you run. Considering there are no OPTIMIZED Emulators for PC, the only way you are going to find out, is by testing it. Something simple like your FSB could force the whole thing to a 3 fps crawl... who knows.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
4 months ago#3
ApexMjolnir posted...
Well since Gamecube Games are going to require an emulator, it depends on the emulator you run. Considering there are no OPTIMIZED Emulators for PC, the only way you are going to find out, is by testing it. Something simple like your FSB could force the whole thing to a 3 fps crawl... who knows.

What a crock of s*** post.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: the_master_123

the_master_123
4 months ago#4
I doubt you get far with that. Low demanding game like new super mario bros would probably run but most game probably would have slowdown issue or be unable to get full speed at all. Notice all ulv cpu, which from I can find about that cpu it is, usually are poor for dophin due to throttling.
Here my info https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A12-9720P-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.234448.0.html

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
4 months ago#5
Might do n64 and below.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: SaturnSnowman

SaturnSnowman
4 months ago#6
Just downloaded Project64 and Ocarina of Time. Seems to run fine, at least in the beginning. I'll try a more advanced game tomorrow.
I like games and anime. My favorite games include the following: Mother 1-3, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Cross, Zelda LA-ALttP-OoT-MM-ALBW, and Super Smash Bros.

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
4 months ago#7
The A12 CPU probably will be the biggest issue but should do OK.

I run a Lenovo Y500 with a I7-3630QM and almost use it exclusively for emulation when I travel since it can't handle modern games very well with a 750m GPU. I have played everything from NES emulation to PCSX2 and Dolphin just fine. Haven't tried CEMU for Wii-U and RPCS3 for PS3 on it though.

User Info: HotshotJoe

HotshotJoe
4 months ago#8
Dolphin is very cpu intensive.
Your computer is lacking in the one department that matters for emulators.
You could play GameCube games on dolphin but it wouldn't be ideal. You would have some frame drops issues. And since I know you want to play melee. It would be difficult on that system personally.

Good to see you again Saturn.
That's why I'm streaming LoLz right now and why I have bought 9300 IP on two accounts so far. Because I don't play it. Makes perfect sense ~ Karmic Dragon

User Info: ha21nagamas

ha21nagamas
4 months ago#9
You can tinker with the settings that match up to you (but you know being nintendo and all its not going to be good to say the least). My laptop has less power than yours and i can only play ps1 downwards with some tinkering. (Even my smartphone has more power than my laptop)
You dont have to obey the white line, use the force

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
4 months ago#10
Gamecube is out of the question on that thing. THe best you can do is PS1 and before and some handhelds like PSP, NDS GBA and that's it
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How good is my laptop at emulation?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived