This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 1060 (6GB) or GTX 1070 for 1080p gaming?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GTX 1060 (6GB) or GTX 1070 for 1080p gaming?

User Info: CT24

CT24
3 months ago#1
I will probably be getting a new computer relatively soon. I'm not good at building my own so I'm looking at some prebuilt sets.

Specifically for this thread I have a question about graphics cards:
I see myself for the foreseeable future gaming at 1080p and not likely going to 1440p or 4k. There are two prebuilt setups I'm looking at online. One has the GTX 1060 (w/6GB) and the other has the GTX 1070.

The one with the 1070 costs $100 more (other important aspects like RAM, SSD/HDD capacity, are equal). I've heard arguments that the 1070 is way overkill for 1080p gaming but I've also heard arguments that say a little future proofing is good and that the 1070 will last longer.

What do you think?

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#2
If it is only a $100 more and you can afford it, go with the 1070.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

User Info: Thafranchise

Thafranchise
3 months ago#3
I have a 1070 and game at 1080p its not overkill as not all games are optimized well and having more power can help balance things out. If your prebuilt has the power supply and room enough to handle the 1070 get that.
The dream is dead

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 months ago#4
Are you buying a video card for today's games, or tomorrow's games as well? No video card will ever be overkill for tomorrow's games. Well, never say never. I hope one will be some day, but probably not for another 50+ years.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?

User Info: SNES_64_DC_Xbox

SNES_64_DC_Xbox
3 months ago#5
If everything else is identical and you're gonna play at 1080p, may as well go with the 1060.

Though a RX 570 or 580 would be the best value.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6qzv0pTE-M
https://medium.com/@SixFootTurkey64

User Info: stav8

stav8
3 months ago#6
If you can afford it 1070 if not I can vouch for the 1060.

Today I have been playing mad max @ 4k with all settings on max save for AA because there really is no need. Nor sure on the FPS I was getting as it was in living room and the counter was so damn small but it felt like 60.

If you aren't concerned about 60fps it can do Witcher 3 on high minus AA at a steady 30
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 months ago#7
stav8 posted...
If you can afford it 1070 if not I can vouch for the 1060.

Today I have been playing mad max @ 4k with all settings on max save for AA because there really is no need. Nor sure on the FPS I was getting as it was in living room and the counter was so damn small but it felt like 60.

If you aren't concerned about 60fps it can do Witcher 3 on high minus AA at a steady 30

My 970 was getting a fluid 60 at 1080p Witcher 3 with just a few settings turned down.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?

User Info: Crenlar

Crenlar
3 months ago#8
With a 1060 you won't be able to max a lot of new games and stay above 60fps. Although if you have g sync then dropping below 60 isn't a big deal. But the 1070 is really worth the extra cash.
What behavior is expected out of someone who's harassed on a daily basis?

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
3 months ago#9
I'm using a 1070 as well at 1080p (As well as VR, but that's another story). Honestly, if you can swing it in the budget, getting a bit more power is never really a BAD thing. If $100 is a big deal to you, then that's the only reason not to go for it; The extra power won't go to 'waste' at 1080p.

Some games do even manage to creep up past the 6GB VRAM 'limitation' still. And there's rarely a time where pushing higher framerates is going to be a bad thing.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: ChaseFAQs

ChaseFAQs
3 months ago#10
Get the 1070 to future proof (yeah I said future proof), so you can comfortably game at max at 1080p for at least the next 2-3 years.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. GTX 1060 (6GB) or GTX 1070 for 1080p gaming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived