This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the best program to use to ghost my hard drive. It's about to go bye-bye.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the best program to use to ghost my hard drive. It's about to go bye-bye.

User Info: The Sock

The Sock
2 months ago#1
I want to ghost my drive with Windows 10 on it onto another 1 TB HD so that I don't have to reinstall Windows and all that stuff.

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks.
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious ****.

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
2 months ago#2
Clonezilla always worked for me.

http://clonezilla.org/
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#3
If your drive is seriously about to die, it's probably not a good idea to clone the entire drive for various reasons:

1.) There's likely data corruption across the drive.

2.) Reading the entire drive to create the image could precipitate its failure.

3.) Transferring off key files first vs. cloning the entire drive ensures you get a backup of important data before the drive fails.

You generally want to make periodic system images BEFORE things start going wrong, not when failure is imminent.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

The Sock
2 months ago#4
Master_Bass posted...

Thanks!

JKatarn posted...
If your drive is seriously about to die, it's probably not a good idea to clone the entire drive for various reasons:

3.) Transferring off key files first vs. cloning the entire drive ensures you get a backup of important data before the drive fails.

You generally want to make periodic system images BEFORE things start going wrong, not when failure is imminent.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll backup the key files to the cloud then.

JKatarn
2 months ago#5
The Sock posted...
Master_Bass posted...

Thanks!

JKatarn posted...

I would just suggest you get your important data off the drive first, and if it's still working, then you have nothing to lose at that point.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
(message deleted)

The Sock
2 months ago#7
JKatarn posted...
The Sock posted...
Master_Bass posted...

Thanks!

JKatarn posted...

I would just suggest you get your important data off the drive first, and if it's still working, then you have nothing to lose at that point.

Gotcha.

Luckily I don't that much important data on it. Just games and documents, and that's about it. I can reinstall the games and the documents of course are easy to move. The only burden is customizing Windows again the way that I had it, which takes me a week or so do to. Oh well.

JKatarn
2 months ago#8
The Sock posted...
Gotcha.

Luckily I don't that much important data on it. Just games and documents, and that's about it. I can reinstall the games and the documents of course are easy to move. The only burden is customizing Windows again the way that I had it, which takes me a week or so do to. Oh well.

Well, as I said, mine as well chance cloning the drive now as if it does fail in the process, you have your important data off anyway, and if it clones the drive fine, you save yourself the trouble of re-installing/tweaking Windows.

The Sock
2 months ago#9
JKatarn posted...
The Sock posted...
Gotcha.

Well, as I said, mine as well chance cloning the drive now as if it does fail in the process, you have your important data off anyway, and if it clones the drive fine, you save yourself the trouble of re-installing/tweaking Windows.

Will do. Thanks for all of your advice man!

JKatarn
2 months ago#10
The Sock posted...
JKatarn posted...
The Sock posted...
Gotcha.

Will do. Thanks for all of your advice man!

No problem, I like to help when I can.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the best program to use to ghost my hard drive. It's about to go bye-bye.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived