This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to properly play a game from the early 2000s on modern Windows?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to properly play a game from the early 2000s on modern Windows?

User Info: krossfire

krossfire
4 months ago#1
I tried with compatibility mode and the game doesn't work, and the game is not on GoG or on Steam.
Half Life 3 pls :(
"Believe in your own justice."

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#2
What game?
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

krossfire
4 months ago#3
Lol knew the question would come up. It's Airline 69, a 'mature' management game i used to play when i was a teen. Suddenly remembered it one day and tried to give it a shot again.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#4
I can't find much info on the game. When you say modern windows. What version? 10?
Also, what about it doesn't work? It doesn't start at all?
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 months ago#5
Depends on the game, but a lot of games will just work. If it doesn't, you can try googling for more tips. Pretty sure you could do some over the top stuff like loading Windows 2000 on a virtual box / machine or something to play it?
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Pitlord_Special

Pitlord_Special
4 months ago#6
Probably have to set up a virtual machine.

I had to do that with an old windows game I wanted to revisit that used a 16 bit executable and thus wouldn't work in 64 bit Windows

I used Oracle VirtualBox (free download) with windows 95 (have to get the old version of windows somewhere and install it)

Took me probably a couple hours or so to get it working right.

krossfire
4 months ago#7
Windows 10. The games starts, but the game moves frustratingly slow and laggy. Is there a emulator to play these kind of early aught games?

Knighted Dragon posted...
Pretty sure you could do some over the top stuff like loading Windows 2000 on a virtual box / machine or something to play it?

This game isn't worth that much of an effort, really. :D

Pitlord_Special posted...
I had to do that with an old windows game I wanted to revisit that used a 16 bit executable and thus wouldn't work in 64 bit Windows
I used Oracle VirtualBox (free download) with windows 95 (have to get the old version of windows somewhere and install it)

I'll try that out as soon as I get home. Thanks!

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
4 months ago#8
There are two very good sites for getting PC games to run;

VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems) who despite the name also cover getting new games to run on new/old systems, and also have some very knowledgeable hardware-related people covering both new and old (and ancient) PCs. Plus VOGONS contains the official DOSBox forums.

http://www.vogons.org/

and

The PC Gaming Wiki, an often very detailed database of information on getting games to run properly, including advice on what patches to use, how to enable different controls and widescreen, what to do to get the game running on different versions of Windows, where the save files are stored, etc.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to properly play a game from the early 2000s on modern Windows?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived