This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Funny how Blizzard charged $14.99 USD for the Necromancer class...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Funny how Blizzard charged $14.99 USD for the Necromancer class...
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

User Info: Ryyaann_Is_Band

Ryyaann_Is_Band
2 months ago#143
AnatomyHorror posted...
It really does suck when you've played PoE and try to play another game like it. Nothing compares. It's objectively the best action-RPG ever made. I think people just don't know to level or build when they play it. It's pretty complicated but following guides and doing research goes a really long way in getting enjoyment out of it.

Agreed. It's pretty impressive imo that the game gets more content in one League than some games do in one year. Doesn't seem like the game is going anywhere is Fall of Oriath was its biggest expansion to date + Xbox One release next week.

AnatomyHorror posted...
for those sort of people Diablo 3 is really good. It's easy to pick up and play. You can't casually play PoE, atleast I can't. I either no-life it or don't play at all. It's a good thing there's something for everybody who is interested in the genre.

Yep, both games excel at different aspects. If you want short term reward, D3 is the best. If you want long term reward, PoE is the best.

And to be fair, you can play it casually. That's why Leagues are 3 months long, to accommodate players of all skill levels. You're a hardcore streamer? Good, you'l probably be "done" with the League in a month. You're a veteran? Good, that'll probably be 2 months. You're a casual player? Still okay, use up the full three months. Then there's Standard League for the uber casual player. =P

thelocalhentai posted...
D3 is fun for those not really looking for a Diablo sequel, Grim Dawn and PoE fill those much better. D3 is for arcadey fun like Gauntlet.

Very true. I find a good analogy is like Call of Duty and Battlefield. CoD is amazing for that arcade-y experience, but Battlefield is where it's at.

thelocalhentai posted...
What the Blizzard royally f***ed up on is that they missed the sweet spot and even the potential for their dlc. Ten bucks would have been the perfect price point for the class and package and offer tabs for a buck each, guaranteed a lot less complaints about the price. They're going to serve their royal fans/sycophants regardless of the price, the ones on the fence would be easier bought, and complainers would have less to complain about.

Oh definitely, even on the D3 board, lots of people were complaining about the price.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/75484392
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/75594013
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/75588316
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/75482237

Imo $5 or $10 would have been the perfect price, because its release was a bit of an awkward one because honestly, a new class wasn't what D3 desperately needed. Nobody was like "hey, you know what the game needs? A new class!", but rather, updates to endgame and just more, actual content.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ryant12/
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#144
Ryyaann_Is_Band posted...
It's pretty impressive imo that the game gets more content in one League than some games do in one year.

It's less impressive when you consider that Path of Exile generates significantly more income for Grinding Gear Games than many of those other games do for their developers outside of major releases.

ElDudorino posted...
(or an evasion build if such a thing exists)

Evasion in and of itself? Probably not, but Evasion builds with Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics are popular in some circles and in one league or another, and with some of the new dodge and spell dodge affixes I suspect it might get a bit more prevalent.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
2 months ago#145
I definitely like Diablo 3 a lot more. Just has so much more polish to it. PoE, while a decent game, feels extremely cheap to me.
i7 7700K|EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition|Corsair Vengeance 16GB|960 EVO 1TB|850 EVO 1TB|840 EVO 500GB|EVGA G3 750w|NZXT H440|ASUS SWIFT PG278Q 27"

User Info: chickenlard

chickenlard
2 months ago#146
Digital Storm posted...
I wanted to like PoE but something about it rubs me the wrong way, it's like masturbation without the orgasm.

But then you don't have to clean up the mess. Jerking it just to jerk it is where it's at.

User Info: AnatomyHorror

AnatomyHorror
2 months ago#147
Marikhen posted...

It's less impressive when you consider that Path of Exile generates significantly more income for Grinding Gear Games than many of those other games do for their developers outside of major releases.

They've discussed their income before? I'm curious about it for sure.

User Info: DolemiteXP

DolemiteXP
2 months ago#148
EvilGiygas posted...
I definitely like Diablo 3 a lot more. Just has so much more polish to it. PoE, while a decent game, feels extremely cheap to me.

Same feeling I get. If PoE actually cost money to play then I would never buy it. I've had much more fun playing my $15 Necromancer than I have running through PoE's 10 acts of free content.
Shanahan!!! Yuse got some SPLAININ ta do!!!

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#149
AnatomyHorror posted...
Marikhen posted...

They've discussed their income before? I'm curious about it for sure.

What's there to discuss? It's a simple comparison between business models. Compare Crate and Grinding Gear Games in this regard.

Crate's sales, and income, peaks within the first month or two of the release of content and then sloughs off until the next release. Grim Dawn released in late February of 2016, and its "Crucible Mode" DLC came out roughly 6 months later. Barring any delays the expansion won't be launching until late next month. These are, respectively, six month and one year gaps between significant income periods.

Grinding Gear Games, however, gets moderate spikes with every x.y expansion and larger income spikes with every x expansion as new players return, current players get hyped, and sales for supporter packs, cosmetic effects, stash tabs, character slots, and so on all pick up.

Not only does the shorter turn-around on content updates give Grinding Gear Games more consistent income, but the very nature of much of what they offer for sale lends itself well to people spending more on the game than they otherwise might.

With Grim Dawn, once you have Crucible Mode you're done, if the "Steam Loyalist Upgrade" has no appeal to you, and you're waiting until late next month for your next purchase. At that point you'll be done spending money on the game until (in all likelihood) Grim Dawn 2.0 comes out.

With Path of Exile it's a few stash tabs this month, an extra character slot or three in 2 months, an acid bomb effect down the road, and now Grinding Gear Games has an extra $25-$35 from someone who dropped a similar amount the previous year while Crate has $0 from someone who dropped $31 last year.

On top of that, with the short turn-around cycle on content Grinding Gear Games can have a much better appreciation for what players will want by the time the content is released. By taking so long to deliver the Necromancer class Blizzard ran into a real risk with interest in it dying off or what people want from the class changing too significantly for them to enjoy what Blizzard produced by the time it finally released. Crate and Soldak Entertainment face similar with the upcoming expansions to Grim Down and Zombasite respectively.

Unless any of the companies mentioned have financial data showing significant departures from industry trends it's not really necessary for them to prove that the Earth is spherical.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
2 months ago#150
Well, the business model doesn't prove that revenue surpasses costs. I wouldn't assume anything about the profitability of a game without seeing the numbers.

Not that it's a thought that really crosses my mind very often, although it is good to hear that PoE is a success story considering it comes from what I assume was originally a tiny team in New Zealand.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Funny how Blizzard charged $14.99 USD for the Necromancer class...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived