This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i7 8700K @ 4.6ghz slower than 7700K @ same clocks

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i7 8700K @ 4.6ghz slower than 7700K @ same clocks

User Info: Fony

Fony
4 months ago#1
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/12313001/3dm11/11906832

3DMark 11 with a stock GTX 1080. 8700K has 50% more cores and threads, yet only wins by 1% in the CPU biased test(physics) while losing up to 10% in everything else. And this will not clock as high as Kaby Lake of course.

No wonder Intel chose to announce CL during the eclipse, fly that fail under the radar. Now who would buy this over Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700X and have to pay 50% more for this downgrade from current products and not even be able to drop the forthcoming CPU in the board next year or after?
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: Cpt_Communism

Cpt_Communism
4 months ago#2
I saw a lot of people convinced Intel must be hiding something amazing after 6 years of minimal improvements. I wonder if they still hold faith seeing Intel's responses 6 months after Ryzen.
You're not obligated to attend every argument.
The ability to walk away from something stupid is a huge boost to daily life.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
4 months ago#3
also more cores+junk tim=even more insane heat so say goodbye to ocing unless you perform surgery on your cpu
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: krazycharlie

krazycharlie
4 months ago#4
Optimization issues, maybe? We'll have to wait until there are more updates to BIOS on Coffee Lake boards. At least, let's give Intel the benefit of doubt.
"U mad bro?".

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
4 months ago#5
Does 3DMark even use 6 cores?

Seems like it's kinda pointless to even use it as a benchmark if ti doesn't. If it's using 4 cores on both systems, then at the same clocks, I wouldn't expect any difference given what I would assume are similar architecture. 1% is within testing margin of error/minor divergence.

The graphics test results being so far off does seem a bit screwy though.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 months ago#6
Wait for the refreshed 9700K.
R5 1600X OC | GTX 1080 OC | 16GB DDR4 | SSD | 28" Acer 4K
i7 3930K OC | GTX 980 OC | 16GB DDR3 | SSD | 42" LG 1080p

User Info: perijah

perijah
4 months ago#7
How are 3.7GHz and 4.2GHz the same clock?
Sing with me: Bababadoe bababadoe bababadoe bapajeeeay

Fony
4 months ago#8
perijah posted...
How are 3.7GHz and 4.2GHz the same clock?

...they're both running at 4.6ghz...learn to read.

Fony
4 months ago#9
krazycharlie posted...
Optimization issues, maybe? We'll have to wait until there are more updates to BIOS on Coffee Lake boards. At least, let's give Intel the benefit of doubt.

Of course, but it didn't help Skylake-X. Game tests and several workloads are worse than Broadwell clock for clock.

cody4783 posted...
Does 3DMark even use 6 cores?

Seems like it's kinda pointless to even use it as a benchmark if ti doesn't. If it's using 4 cores on both systems, then at the same clocks, I wouldn't expect any difference given what I would assume are similar architecture. 1% is within testing margin of error/minor divergence.

The graphics test results being so far off does seem a bit screwy though.

Uh, yes every 3DMark ever benchmarks the CPU as well as the GPU. The Physics test where it loses by 1% to Kaby Lake is a heavily hitter for Intel by the way, Ryzen smacked Intel around in integer and other CPU 3DMark tests but Physics was always all Intel with even their quad cores beating every Ryzen SKU. So yea, this is a good indicator of performance ranking for Intel CPU's vs one another.

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
4 months ago#10
If true, it at least makes me feel better about not waiting, and getting a 7700K
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i7 8700K @ 4.6ghz slower than 7700K @ same clocks

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived