This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Chances of Blizzard joining Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Chances of Blizzard joining Steam?

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
4 months ago#41
vlado_e posted...
blly155 posted...
blizzards client has been around much longer than steam

Not really. Unless you count WoW's launcher but I'd hardly call it a "client". You could count early Battle.net, which is indeed older than Steam but it's also nothing like Steam - it was their infrastructure for online play - nothing to do with launching or selling games throiugh it. It wasn't until 2009 when "Battle.net 2.0" showed up which laid the foundation to their actual games client infrastructure but still isn't really a Steam equivalent, however it allowed more functionality like achievements. The games client that finally does offer Steam-like functionality launched in 2013 almost a decade after Steam did.

........Blizzard's client has been around before Steam. It's called Battle.net and revolutionized online gaming when it launched in 1996 with Diablo (remember God mode, corpse explosion, and dupes anyone?! lol). You're either really young, or missed that entire (amazing) gaming period

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#42
Lienhart posted...
vlado_e posted...
blly155 posted...
blizzards client has been around much longer than steam

Not really. Unless you count WoW's launcher but I'd hardly call it a "client". You could count early Battle.net, which is indeed older than Steam but it's also nothing like Steam - it was their infrastructure for online play - nothing to do with launching or selling games throiugh it. It wasn't until 2009 when "Battle.net 2.0" showed up which laid the foundation to their actual games client infrastructure but still isn't really a Steam equivalent, however it allowed more functionality like achievements. The games client that finally does offer Steam-like functionality launched in 2013 almost a decade after Steam did.

........Blizzard's client has been around before Steam. It's called Battle.net and revolutionized online gaming when it launched in 1996 with Diablo (remember God mode, corpse explosion, and dupes anyone?! lol). You're either really young, or missed that entire (amazing) gaming period

And you either don't want to read or missed what I said.

As I said, the early Battle.net is nothing like Steam. I can play and have played Diablo, Diablo 2 and StarCraft without needing any external launchers. Also as I said Battle.net is their online play infrastructure which did indeed exist for a while but you cannot really claim that "being able to play online" is exactly what Steam is. Early Battle.net isn't really an online store/ecosystem launches your games and tracks stats for games - it is an online server hosting that does the DRM verification - something that, I think you'll agree, isn't the main purview of Steam.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

Lienhart
4 months ago#43
@vlado_e

Not gonna argue semantics. If you were around during both Battle.net and Steam's launch, you'll know they did the same thing and evolved in similar ways.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#44
Lienhart posted...
Not gonna argue semantics.

Yet you literally started off with that. Seems to be that because they are both named "client" you claim they are inherently the same thing.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

Lienhart
4 months ago#45
No, I'm looking at the functionality of both Steam and Battle.net in the original states.

Both Steam, and Battle.net were developed, originally, for the same purpose. If you can't see this, I'm wasting my time.

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
4 months ago#46
Lienhart posted...
@vlado_e

Not gonna argue semantics. If you were around during both Battle.net and Steam's launch, you'll know they did the same thing and evolved in similar ways.

Except Steam launched with CS 1.6 and The Orange Box, as a consolidated platform. Battle.net only evolved into something similar fairly recently. It has nothing to do with semantics, and everything to do with the fact that you're wrong.

Furthermore, if anything battle.net was similar to the old WON--not Steam.
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

User Info: Crenlar

Crenlar
4 months ago#47
Blizzard doesn't need Steam. Whats funny is when a publisher really needs to use steam to get a foothold in the pc market but stubbornly makes their game exclusive to a store no one wants to use. Gears of War 4 for example.
I find my new neighbors hatred for me to be quite invigorating

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
4 months ago#48
0% chance. That would mean having to give Steam a cut of the profits, which they currently do not.

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
4 months ago#49
About as much chance of happening as Fable or Perfect Dark coming back.

Which is 0%.

I don't believe Valve and Blizzard hate each other though, as it would likely be Activision that would decide whether or not to absorb Valve (Valve is worth between 2-4B, Activision having total assets in the 15B plus range), but why buy a company who's main product now is just a service they could make and maintain easier? It would be different if Valve had kept being a video game developer, but those days are long gone.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Somato

Somato
4 months ago#50
Blizzard games do record your hours played in a game, it's just not as easy too see.
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Chances of Blizzard joining Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived