This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Chances of Blizzard joining Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Chances of Blizzard joining Steam?

User Info: Izicial

Izicial
4 months ago#51
vlado_e posted...
blly155 posted...
blizzards client has been around much longer than steam

Not really. Unless you count WoW's launcher but I'd hardly call it a "client". You could count early Battle.net, which is indeed older than Steam but it's also nothing like Steam - it was their infrastructure for online play - nothing to do with launching or selling games throiugh it. It wasn't until 2009 when "Battle.net 2.0" showed up which laid the foundation to their actual games client infrastructure but still isn't really a Steam equivalent, however it allowed more functionality like achievements. The games client that finally does offer Steam-like functionality launched in 2013 almost a decade after Steam did.

Pretty sure he meant battle.net as in their own service rather than the client itself. Regardless of age of clients it would be incredibly foolish for Blizzard to do anything with steam.

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
4 months ago#52
@Rosencroitz

Holy s***....

Look, I know being a software developer gives me insight on software architecture, but for f***'s sake do I need to spell it out for everyone that isn't? You're smarter than that.

Battle.net started as backend service, likely an API for the games to communicate with. This means Diablo, StarCraft, WarCraft II, WarCraft III, and Diablo 2 were all communicating with the same backend service. What gave this away was that the commands for adding friends, joining channels, and all that other stuff was literally the same between games. Even your friend list would persist through different games. However, Battle.net had no customer facing client because the games themselves were the clients.

Valve did the exact same thing. When Steam came out, Valve games started hooking into Steam's API to pull server data, friend lists, etc. The main difference between Blizzard and Valve's approach is that Valve actually created a user-facing client instead of using each individual game.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#53
Lienhart posted...
The main difference between Blizzard and Valve's approach is that Valve actually created a user-facing client instead of using each individual game.

and slapped a storefront onto it through which they sold other people's games. But that's about the only significant difference. Most companies at the time had their own online presence for selling games, some even had their own clients that integrated the delivery system and storefront into a user facing client like Stardock. Basically the only killer features steam had were Half-Life 2, CS 1.6, and ambition to move into the retailer space.
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
4 months ago#54
Lienhart posted...
being a software developer

Your parents must be proud.

Lienhart posted...
The main difference between Blizzard and Valve's approach is that Valve actually created a user-facing client instead of using each individual game.

And, y'know, sold things through it.
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

User Info: SnipeStar

SnipeStar
4 months ago#55
dumbest topic ive seen in a while
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#56
SnipeStar posted...
dumbest topic ive seen in a while

There's always someone asking stupid questions.

"What if Valve goes bankrupt tomorrow?"

"What if Microsoft bought out Valve?"

"What if we all paid Nintendo a million bucks so they'd sell their stuff on steam?" (This one is going on right now).

EDIT: Surprise surprise, both stupid topics are by the same poster.

Here's a ridiculous question for you guys: What if everyone stopped asking stupid f***ing questions that everyone already knows the answer to?
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 months ago#57
arleas posted...
There's always someone asking stupid questions.

"What if Valve goes bankrupt tomorrow?"

"What if Microsoft bought out Valve?"

"What if we all paid Nintendo a million bucks so they'd sell their stuff on steam?" (This one is going on right now).

EDIT: Surprise surprise, both stupid topics are by the same poster.

Here's a ridiculous question for you guys: What if everyone stopped asking stupid f***ing questions that everyone already knows the answer to?

If people would just tag obvious troll topics, ignore the users that post them (and the mods actually moderated these forums), we wouldn't have to wade through all this dross.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
4 months ago#58
Lienhart posted...
Look, I know being a software developer gives me insight on software architecture

Are you a new grad who just landed his first job out of school?

That's the only reason I can think of that would make you throw the "I'm a programmer mommy" in every topic. I bet you're just waiting for an excuse to talk about your mad road rash skills.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
4 months ago#59
0%

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
4 months ago#60
Jar_Jar posted...
I might play Blizzard games if they were on Steam. . .Overwatch I'm looking at you. But alas, they are not on Steam, so they remain unplayed by me. I like playing games on Steam only because it records my hours played. I like looking at the hours that I've spent playing my various games. To play a game and not have its hours recorded is like not playing it at all, in my opinion.

Hate to break it to you but Steams hours played counter isn't very accurate.
FC: 1221-0777-4703
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Chances of Blizzard joining Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived