This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do devs not remaster games people have been wanting for years and years?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do devs not remaster games people have been wanting for years and years?

User Info: lmAtWork

lmAtWork
2 months ago#1
I don't really understand why Devs remaster the recent games that aren't even that old like remastering Skyrim 10 times instead of Morrowind or even Oblivion which tons of people would love.

I'd be ecstatic for a Fable 2 remake on PC too, but I guess that one at least makes sense as the company is dead.

Fans have been begging for a remaster or remake of Demon Souls for years and years as well. It seems like money is just sitting there ready to be made by the devs if they'd tap the market
http://i.imgur.com/z2gkfeq.jpg

User Info: bikeblaster

bikeblaster
2 months ago#2
I know right. Mgs3 needs a remaster now.

But about Skyrim...it's mostly money milking.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
2 months ago#3
Skyrim, I'm sure, was a lot easier to remaster. I think Oblivion would be fairly easy, but Morrowind would probably need a lot of work.

I'm guessing that not every developer is buying into the remaster trend. I think there's something to be said about continuing to produce original work rather than remastering and milking previous achievements. I'm sure that there's also resistance to divide resources from new projects among smaller development teams (though many remasters are outsourced to other studios).

bikeblaster posted...

It was remastered on PS3, I believe. I think it's only been enhanced to 1080p (or maybe 720p) and 60 FPS, but that's how it is with a lot of remasters, truth be told.

Unless you mean remake.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
2 months ago#4
It's not the developers who decide to do a remaster, it's the publisher. Even if it's just porting a game they still cost money and the publisher has to front that money. Some publishers are just remaster averse because of executive stupidity while others like Bethesda see the value in it. Some, like Konami, dont even like video games anymore and treat them as an afterthought. Publishers executive management varies greatly but they are usually businessmen and know little about game development, which leads to games getting abandoned to chase the next shiny new thing.

Furthermore even with publishers who do remasters, they have no idea if the cost of remastering *insert cult hit here* will be worth the potential money gained from new sales. That's why emulators exist.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
2 months ago#5
Like Dragon Quest 8 on a big screen and not some s***ty small handheld?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hj9yPs
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | MSI GTX Gaming X 1070 | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Prime Z270-A

User Info: bikeblaster

bikeblaster
2 months ago#6
ajxh posted...
Skyrim, I'm sure, was a lot easier to remaster. I think Oblivion would be fairly easy, but Morrowind would probably need a lot of work.

I'm guessing that not every developer is buying into the remaster trend. I think there's something to be said about continuing to produce original work rather than remastering and milking previous achievements. I'm sure that there's also resistance to divide resources from new projects among smaller development teams (though many remasters are outsourced to other studios).

bikeblaster posted...

It was remastered on PS3, I believe. I think it's only been enhanced to 1080p (or maybe 720p) and 60 FPS, but that's how it is with a lot of remasters, truth be told.

Unless you mean remake.

Yeah remake on their latest fox engine. That's what i meant.

It was 720p/60fps on PS3. Emulating Subsistence through PCSX2 is the true remaster.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
2 months ago#7
*waves hands* Money. It's all about money.
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: johnny_pay

johnny_pay
2 months ago#8
Skyrim was remastered because it was a simple affair to do. Plus with mod support on consoles it's a whole new game. It's just a shame Sony put restrictions on it on the PS4.

User Info: TrashCanNumber2

TrashCanNumber2
2 months ago#9
It's naive to think publishers have any idea what the gaming community wants.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
2 months ago#10
lmAtWork posted...
Fans have been begging for a remaster or remake of Demon Souls for years and years as well.

You are a Souls Troll and Demon's Souls isn't appreciably older than Skyrim. Go away.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do devs not remaster games people have been wanting for years and years?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived