This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever feel like computers aren't as much fun as they used to be?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever feel like computers aren't as much fun as they used to be?

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
2 months ago#1
I've started feeling that way recently. I know we have higher resolutions and better frame rates and whatnot now, but it just seems like the hobby used to be more exciting. I recently got Windows XP up and running in a VM, and after using a mix of 8.1 and 10 for ages, XP felt very sleek and usable by comparison. Phones were heavier and simpler a decade ago, but there was less monetization, shovelware, totally useless apps. The internet was much slower and somewhat less prolific, but file sizes were also much more reasonable and net neutrality and any concept of privacy had yet to be dealt death blows. Games were harder to make because Unity wasn't a thing, but there wasn't asset store flips and a large percentage of the indie stuff out there felt unique (or at least the stuff I played did).

Man, I feel old saying stuff like this. Is it just me or do other people feel the same way? Specifically, is there any merit to what I'm saying? I still keep up with the hobby and like technology, I just feel like it's all going in the wrong direction and used to be more fun.

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
2 months ago#2
Yes we do feel the same. I guess its just age. Computers arent new and exciting like they were in the 90s.. Its like replaying a game you have replayed over 10 times.. It might be the greatest game ever made.. But it eventually gets old. Used to have tons of fun infecting schoolmates with trojans etc.. Now i have no interest.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
2 months ago#3
Yes, for anyone of us who started using computers on the 90s or before, it was much more fun back then. I loved typing those commands in Ms DOS, reserving memory for games, configuring IRQ, DMA for sounds.... Good times...
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
2 months ago#4
User Since: Nov 2000...

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
2 months ago#5
oblique365 posted...
Yes we do feel the same. I guess its just age. Computers arent new and exciting like they were in the 90s.. Its like replaying a game you have replayed over 10 times.. It might be the greatest game ever made.. But it eventually gets old. Used to have tons of fun infecting schoolmates with trojans etc.. Now i have no interest.

Do you really think it's just age? I'm not that old. Encountering Windows XP again made me think about the issue seriously, and I just think many aspects of the hobby were cooler back then. I don't think building a game in Unity is as fun as writing one in SDL with C used to be, and I definitely don't enjoy mobile app development the same way I used to love working on Windows desktop programs. I feel like if I were to step inside a time machine and go back to the early to mid 2000s, I'd feel the same way. Maybe not, but that's how I feel.

User Info: ryouma17

ryouma17
2 months ago#6
PC gaming wouldnt be as stale if there wasnt 20 zombie survival games for every non zombie game
http://i.imgur.com/GIugA1n.gifv

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
2 months ago#7
It's probably a generational thing for a lot of us. We grew up when they were rare, increasing in popularity and usefulless, and the tech was advancing quickly. Now they are everywhere and a part of everything we do and they've just become another thing we do/deal with all the time. They used to be special, now their just everyday.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
2 months ago#8
It's fun, if you know where to look, and what genre's you like.

If you are an old school gamer like me, you are probably not into the Waifu/dragonball/pokemon stuff.

I'm at the age where mouse and keyboard games are not even an option any more.

All the games we used to find fun, were during a time where you played a game 500 times before you got bored of it. The games these days are all about immersion, and learning some valuable life lesson.

Like all valuable lessons in life, once you LEARN them, having someone lecture you on the moral, gets old fast.

Unless a game is repetitive on purpose, I honestly never play it more than once in its entirety... Which is the only reason I buy a $3.00 game. I would never buy these games for full price.

I personally can't get enough of the Dark Souls games... and play them at least daily, for the last decade.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
2 months ago#9
For sure, though it's probably just nostalgia goggles clouding my judgement. After all, most of the stuff I experienced as a kid on my old computer has versions that are way better on my modern rig. Microsoft Encarta? Try Wikipedia. 3D Movie Maker? Try Source Filmmaker. SimCity? Try Cities: Skylines. 480p CRT? Try 1440p IPS.

User Info: TheOpposite

TheOpposite
2 months ago#10
I actually prefer playing on PC to any of the past two console generations. It's more convenient and always has the best version of a game. Steam is terrible now, though. There is nearly nothing I'm looking forward to purchasing on there. I love playing classic games and Steam would be a great platform for them, but instead 99% of what comes out for it are indie games (not bothering unless it looks REALLY good, and that's rare) and adult games (no, just no).

Every now and then something I want to play does come out, maybe 2-3 times per year.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever feel like computers aren't as much fun as they used to be?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived