This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you ever feel like computers aren't as much fun as they used to be?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever feel like computers aren't as much fun as they used to be?

User Info: TheOpposite

TheOpposite
2 months ago#31
Jonexe posted...
TheOpposite posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
TheOpposite posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
TheOpposite posted...
I love playing classic games and Steam would be a great platform for them

GOG is calling your name...

I'm less impressed with GOG than I am Steam.

GOG has the true classics though, from dos era even

HL2 isnt a classic game

I'm not just talking about PC classics. Steam and GOG both have a pitiful selection of classic arcade and console titles and there's no excuse for it.

Considering the titles have to have had a PC version for GOG or Steam to have them this is entirely the fault of the publishers/ip owners. It's not like Valve nor GOG go out and make ports. They only utilize code given to them. In GOG's case they make some tweaks to make it run on modern hardware (usually through emulation); but that's about it.

Sega released their Genesis games on Steam with no prior PC version. Capcom released the Mega Man games. I'm not sure why it needs to have a previous PC release to be on Steam when these are on there. Instead of getting good classic game ports we get garbage.

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
2 months ago#32
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
For me this is mostly because I used to play with a whole bunch of people and we always had a lot of fun. But since then, people have moved, got kids, and life happened, and now it is rare for even two of us to play a game together.

Yes, you're right. I hadn't really considered that. Last time I was in a room with a group of other gamers was in about 1999, when we used Playstations. Used to link them together and play DOOM and Blast Radius co-op. Before that it was the Amiga and the 8-bit computers, with the likes of Sensible Soccer and Laser Squad.

Only started playing online against 'strangers' with the Dreamcast in 2000. Guess that's when the rot started to set in!

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
2 months ago#33
Nope. You just miss your childhood.

User Info: fastbilly1

fastbilly1
2 months ago#34
After spending a good chunk of last year repairing computers from the 70s and 80s, I agree. No more do we have to reset ram ics to get something to work, or put new belts on a floppy drive. Who remembers Bubble Memory? Who else likes debugging handwound Core memory, or better yet re winding it?

Standardization and ease of use can go out the window, bring back the esoteric modules that require soldering and prayer to fix!
"You beat me fast[billy], and easily too" - Gameboy Guru
the Duke of the GBA Social Board

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#35
Hardware advancement may have plateaued, but if anything computers are more fun - more built-in capabilities, far easier and broader access to information and programs, with tons of solid free/open-source software, and far less troubleshooting in general. Personally, I never found troubleshooting IRQ's, memory availability, flaky DOS drivers etc. terribly fun - more of a barrier you worked through to get to the fun.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#36
SSHeadzUp posted...
somebadlemonade posted...
I see computers as tools, how excited are most people to use tools? Using tools usually means you are doing work.

Oh, didn't know you were most people.

He's got a point though - the general public sees a computer as a tool to get work done/communicate etc. and don't find computers intrinsically exciting/fun, if they did we wouldn't have company/public tech support, 'Geek Squad' etc.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
2 months ago#37
Yes, things become boring when they become part of everyday life, even more so when you only do the same things with it every day. You can't blame anyone but yourself for your narrow use of the tools you have available at your fingertips.

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
2 months ago#38
Stop buying s***ty AAA games then and go replay some classics.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 1TB |120GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
2 months ago#39
TheOpposite posted...
Jonexe posted...
TheOpposite posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
TheOpposite posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
TheOpposite posted...
I love playing classic games and Steam would be a great platform for them

GOG is calling your name...

I'm less impressed with GOG than I am Steam.

GOG has the true classics though, from dos era even

HL2 isnt a classic game

I'm not just talking about PC classics. Steam and GOG both have a pitiful selection of classic arcade and console titles and there's no excuse for it.

Considering the titles have to have had a PC version for GOG or Steam to have them this is entirely the fault of the publishers/ip owners. It's not like Valve nor GOG go out and make ports. They only utilize code given to them. In GOG's case they make some tweaks to make it run on modern hardware (usually through emulation); but that's about it.

Sega released their Genesis games on Steam with no prior PC version. Capcom released the Mega Man games. I'm not sure why it needs to have a previous PC release to be on Steam when these are on there. Instead of getting good classic game ports we get garbage.

To be technical, those aren't ports, they're running in an emulator. (This is 100% legal, because Sega owns their own IP.)

But Steam and GoG can't just take any game and sell it. They need the original copyright holder's permission. And an awful lot of them have either been lost to the ages or would rather see you buy their newer games...
Why are Trump supporters so obsessed with "buttery males?"

User Info: Boge

Boge
2 months ago#40
I enjoyed PC gaming more in the 90s when it was different from consoles. Now they have many of the same games, which is good. I get some of these games at high resolution and framerate. But I feel many of those old 90s style PC games have been forgotten as well.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you ever feel like computers aren't as much fun as they used to be?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived