This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really need some help on CPU for high end build (gaming/streaming)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Really need some help on CPU for high end build (gaming/streaming)

User Info: Slick25

Slick25
2 months ago#1
I need some help please. So i am going to be building my new rig within the next 2 weeks and it will be a higher end build for gaming/streaming. I have been keeping my eye on the 7820X because its 8 core, quad channel memory, and has great clock speeds with really good overclocking head room. Now i know threadripper is pretty a great value, BUT is the extra couple hundred bucks worth it for the 7820X for the better single core speeds for gaming/streaming?

Basically help me out, I havent been this undecided on a CPU in many many years and I just cannot commit to either one at the moment because the value is there for threadripper but I have never ever had an AMD cpu and I also hear tons of bashing on the X299 and the 7820X for being a terrible value.

PC specs I am looking at btw:
Cpu --- undecided obviously from above.
1080Ti
1440P gsync monitor
16Gb DDR4 3000mhz ram

rest doesnt really matter.

Slick25
2 months ago#2
anyone?

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#3
Ryzen 7 1800X should have the better performance to price ratio here, if you insist having an octa-core CPU for heavy multitasking.

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
2 months ago#4
Just my opinion i think you should go intel.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 months ago#5
Intel isn't really that far ahead in single threaded workloads anymore. Outside of some older engines that really favor low-latency memory access(UE3, Source, and presumably any derivatives of older Unreal Engines and Quake based engines) AMD is very competitive in terms of single core performance, and offers a lore more cores for a lot less money.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

Slick25
2 months ago#6
Thanks for the responses guys! Anyone else want to throw in some opinions, i honestly just need some views from you guys i know lots of you are computer gurus so just help me out!

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#7
If you do go intel wait for coffee lake. For the 6 cores.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID: splatter_1 or Captain Splatter
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Really need some help on CPU for high end build (gaming/streaming)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived