This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was the x1900xtx/x1950xtx the last single gpu performance king of ATI/AMD?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Was the x1900xtx/x1950xtx the last single gpu performance king of ATI/AMD?

User Info: Fony

Fony
4 months ago#21
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JonWood007 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I think 5870 was for a time.

Maybe for a few months until the 470/480 came out.

Yeah, but that's still a time they were ahead.
Speaking of which, much the same story for 7970. I had forgotten, but it was a month or two early.

5870, 7970, 290X and Fury x were all the fastest GPU's at launch.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: jgatlabayan

jgatlabayan
4 months ago#22
Fony posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JonWood007 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Speaking of which, much the same story for 7970. I had forgotten, but it was a month or two early.

I guess you guys are right that the point should be the cards that launched as the fastest GPU's at launch; and not what it was supposed to rival.
i7 7700k / GTX 1080ti / Asrock Z270 Extreme4 / 16gb DDR4 3200 / 1TB SSD / 6TB HD / BenQ XL2420T 120hz /x2 Chimei 24EH 60hz/ NZXT Phantom / Noctua NH-D14

Fony
4 months ago#23
jgatlabayan posted...
Fony posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JonWood007 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I guess you guys are right that the point should be the cards that launched as the fastest GPU's at launch; and not what it was supposed to rival.

Fury X rivals 980Ti and was often slightly faster.Almost every 980Ti just happens to OC quite well and pull away.

User Info: Code 51 50

Code 51 50
3 months ago#24
jgatlabayan posted...
Disregarding the dual gpu setup like the 3870x2, 4870x2, and 7990.

Was the x1900xtx/x1950xtx the last single gpu performance king of ATI/AMD that singlehandedly defeated its intended rival card from Nvidia?

No, it was the HD 5870. Lasted me 3-4 years with playing everything on high. A card with greatness on par with the old ATi 9800 Pro.
Orestes417 - "Do it essentially one handed all the time. Granted, I have had entirely too much practice."

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
3 months ago#25
My friend getting a reference 5850 (Replacing his 8800 after it blew) was what got me into PC Hardware.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

Fony
3 months ago#26
the longest lasting high end GPU's ever are the 7970 and R9 290X.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 months ago#27
Kokuei05 posted...
My Sapphire HD4850 never died, it was just replaced.

Ryzeki posted...
zhenghan posted...
Kokuei05 posted...
IIRC when 4850/4870 came out, it was a holy s*** price vs performance cards.

but they were hot as hell, and many died a year later lol

I still have a working launch powercolor 4850 512MB card.

IIRC the reference designs for 4850/4870 didn't fare very well temps wise, but a few aftermarket versions were quite good though...

Anyways, I remember hearing that OCCT "killed" a few 4870s...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?224958-OCCT-3-1-0-shows-HD4870-4890-design-flaw-they-can-t-handle-the-new-GPU-test-!
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Fony
3 months ago#28
OCCT killed alot of green team GPU's as well until NVIDIA branded it a "power virus" and made bios and driver tweaks to the way their GPU's operate when running the software. Maybe some of you are just new to PC gaming but the GTX 570 and 590 were rather infamous for exploding(sometimes literally exploding) under stress tests.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 months ago#29
Fony posted...
OCCT killed alot of green team GPU's as well until NVIDIA branded it a "power virus" and made bios and driver tweaks to the way their GPU's operate when running the software. Maybe some of you are just new to PC gaming but the GTX 570 and 590 were rather infamous for exploding(sometimes literally exploding) under stress tests.

so basically the GPU can't actually operate at 100%, that's fair I guess, as long it works good in games
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 months ago#30
zhenghan posted...
Fony posted...

so basically the GPU can't actually operate at 100%, that's fair I guess, as long it works good in games

The thing is that GPUs rarely truly operate at 100%. There are always various parts of the hardware idling at times, even console GPUs rarely reach 100% utilization.

I had forgotten about OCCT, but game menus have also killed graphics cards in the past. A gane menu is so simple to render so the parts of the hardware rendering it never gets a break, which in time results in overheating.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Was the x1900xtx/x1950xtx the last single gpu performance king of ATI/AMD?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived