This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Emulating or not dilema

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Emulating or not dilema

User Info: DarkStory_666

DarkStory_666
4 months ago#1
Look i really like vídeo games and i love to BUY them but here is the thing i dont have enough ROM in my house to store them all so my question is should i just emulate some old vídeo games and spare some room in my house or should i buy them physically or digitally?i dont like illegally downloading games so... what you guys and girls do?do you buy them if you have to or you go all the way and emulate "everything"
PSN : Darkstory_666
https://www.gamefaqs.com/community/DarkStory_666/games

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#2
I don't emulate, I buy legal software and hardware. Some say its legal to emulate if you own the ROM (technically you own a license).
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID: splatter_1 or Captain Splatter

DarkStory_666
4 months ago#3
What if you use the emulators available on e-stores like Google Play ?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#4
DarkStory_666 posted...
What if you use the emulators available on e-stores like Google Play ?

Then its obviously legal, but those emulators probably don't supply the ROMs. At least supply the ROM yourself. Even if that requires some weird device to put the games on your computer. Discs are the easiest to do.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID: splatter_1 or Captain Splatter

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
4 months ago#5
All emulators are legal. This was decided by courts long ago. Unless maybe it was created using stolen code but i doubt that. To be legal (if your personal moral compass requires it) you cannot download any roms, you must dump them yourself. Which means buying the game off ebay or somewhere and then buying the hardware to dump it. I think most people here download roms but just wont admit it because you get moderated. Have fun.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 months ago#6
If it's a disc game, you can just pop the disc into your PC and rip the ROM image. My old PSX and PS2 games are on a shelf in a storage closet but the files are on my hard drive so I can play them. Nothing illegal about it, and it's convenient and I get to play my games with graphical upgrades, save states and fast forward when needed, etc. Good times.

DarkStory_666
4 months ago#7
Nintendo games are a pain to rom them

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
4 months ago#8
I really don't think emulation as a whole is a big deal.

The massive, overwhelming majority of games that can be emulated are not being commercially sold. So there is NO WAY to buy these games, even if you wanted to. And yes you could find them on eBay, Craigslist, used game shops, etc.....but what's the point? None of the people who worked on/initially sold the games are seeing a cent of that.

If you're emulating Breath of the Wild without owning it....I get it. That's not great. But really who the hell cares if you're downloading Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Mario Sunshine, Mame Roms, Streets of Rage, etc. You're not cheating anyone out of some magical source of income.

And the fact that Nintendo STILL half asses their so-called "Virtual Console" in the way that they do makes it pretty apparent that they don't really care much about it themselves. They have had plenty of time to make a compelling reason for people to pay for these games and they just don't do it. And let's not even get into how they intentionally create shortages for things like the NES/SNES classic which revolve around emulating their classic games. It's really not a big deal.

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
4 months ago#9
Do what you want but honestly I'm always for emulation on old games. I'm talking more of the NES, Genesis, SNES type games here but buying a copy from some person on E-bay or wherever gets you a game but as far as piracy goes, who really cares, and these games cost as much as new ones now sometimes going up to hundreds of dollars.

I buy the games I really want at a reasonable cost and outside of that emulate everything else. I'm always trying to build up a physical collection but man it is expensive.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
4 months ago#10
ElDudorino posted...
If it's a disc game, you can just pop the disc into your PC and rip the ROM image. My old PSX and PS2 games are on a shelf in a storage closet but the files are on my hard drive so I can play them. Nothing illegal about it, and it's convenient and I get to play my games with graphical upgrades, save states and fast forward when needed, etc. Good times.

When I tried ripping Wii games, I couldn't because normal drives cannot read them. Only very specific drives can actually read them and then you need specific software to actually start to dump. The whole thing is a major ordeal.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 | 256GB SSD | HD520
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Emulating or not dilema

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived