This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Emulating or not dilema

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Emulating or not dilema

User Info: enderall

enderall
3 months ago#11
Also discs have a limited life span.
i3 6100, GIGABYTE Radeon Rx 480 8GB WINDFORCE, Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM Red LED, EVGA 600w White PSU, Toshiba 500 GB HD, Riotoro CR 480, GIGABYTE Intel H110

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#12
captsplatter_1 posted...
I don't emulate, I buy legal software and hardware. Some say its legal to emulate if you own the ROM (technically you own a license).

You are entitled to a digital backup of the software, however you're only entitled to a single self-made copy without circumventing any DRM, which basically means it's illegal.
That said, no one actually cares. Buy what you can, pirate the rest.

Kokuei05 posted...
ElDudorino posted...
If it's a disc game, you can just pop the disc into your PC and rip the ROM image. My old PSX and PS2 games are on a shelf in a storage closet but the files are on my hard drive so I can play them. Nothing illegal about it, and it's convenient and I get to play my games with graphical upgrades, save states and fast forward when needed, etc. Good times.

When I tried ripping Wii games, I couldn't because normal drives cannot read them. Only very specific drives can actually read them and then you need specific software to actually start to dump. The whole thing is a major ordeal.

You can rip them using a Wii. I ripped several Wii and Cube games that way. Actually, dumping via the console it's self is one of the few legal ways to obtain ROM data.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#13
oblique365 posted...
All emulators are legal. This was decided by courts long ago. Unless maybe it was created using stolen code but i doubt that. To be legal (if your personal moral compass requires it) you cannot download any roms, you must dump them yourself. Which means buying the game off ebay or somewhere and then buying the hardware to dump it. I think most people here download roms but just wont admit it because you get moderated. Have fun.

You must also use a bios dumped from a console you own.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 months ago#14
Emulators are one of the strongest reasons why I like PC gaming so much!

Can't imagine my life without emulators nowdays.

SinisterSlay posted...
You must also use a bios dumped from a console you own.

Most emulators don't need the bios files, though.

DarkStory_666 posted...
i dont like illegally downloading games so... what you guys and girls do?do you buy them if you have to or you go all the way and emulate "everything"

What I do is: I don't talk about it.
Treat emulation just like the Fight Club.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
3 months ago#15
I emulate stuff all the time. Anyone want to see some sweet PS1 gifs of what the games look like all cleaned up and running at a higher resolution?
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: supermichael11

supermichael11
3 months ago#16
I want to ask if I buy PS1, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One disc and Dreamcast will it be easy to play those game on the PC emulator?

I like the idea of having the game this way it is more safe.

The idea of playing those games enhanced compared to their original console version seems interesting, like playing Sonic Adventure in HD at 60 FPS. Also modding to play as Super Sonic in every level even cooler.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/88/ dragon ball forum
http://midnighttavern.forumotion.com/ Must be over 18 years old to join.

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 months ago#17
supermichael11 posted...
I want to ask if I buy PS1, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One disc and Dreamcast will it be easy to play those game on the PC emulator?

-PS1 and PS2, yes. Dreamcast I THINK is also easy, but I never tested it directly from the disc.

-Gamecube, Wii and Wii-U, I believe you'll have to dump the image file first. Also, Wii-U emulation is still in early stages, and most games won't work well.

-PS3 I believe you have to dump the image too (I never tested if the emulator loads the game from the discs directly). This is also on early stages od emulation.

-The X360 emu, as far as I know, barely runs any game.

-XBOX One... Really, man?? :p
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
3 months ago#18
Not a big deal, It's not like you can walk into a retail store and pickup on aisle 4 Contra or anything behind the shaving cream in some super secret retro game shelf. The only thing you are actually harming is the second hand market, and frankly the industry would see buying used as being just as bad. If you trust what they think would be best you would never ever play such a thing and would instead buy whatever new crap they churn out religiously for $60 each time.

But if it's a big deal to you then don't do it. Buy it used, take a lot of of unrequired steps and dump it yourself, or be a perfect boyscout customer and forget old games ever even existed and buy all the new stuff instead.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
3 months ago#19
If I can easily find an old game I want to play, I'll buy it. Otherwise I look for roms. No need to inject a moral dilemma into it unless you're afraid it's a gateway drug to full-blown piracy of modern titles.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
3 months ago#20
GoIrish80 posted...
I really don't think emulation as a whole is a big deal.

The massive, overwhelming majority of games that can be emulated are not being commercially sold. So there is NO WAY to buy these games, even if you wanted to. And yes you could find them on eBay, Craigslist, used game shops, etc.....but what's the point? None of the people who worked on/initially sold the games are seeing a cent of that.

If you're emulating Breath of the Wild without owning it....I get it. That's not great. But really who the hell cares if you're downloading Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Mario Sunshine, Mame Roms, Streets of Rage, etc. You're not cheating anyone out of some magical source of income.

And the fact that Nintendo STILL half asses their so-called "Virtual Console" in the way that they do makes it pretty apparent that they don't really care much about it themselves. They have had plenty of time to make a compelling reason for people to pay for these games and they just don't do it. And let's not even get into how they intentionally create shortages for things like the NES/SNES classic which revolve around emulating their classic games. It's really not a big deal.

Nintendo cares. They issued a cease and desist to Emuparadise for all Pokemon ROMs not too long ago. Even the ones nobody cared about or played
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Emulating or not dilema

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived