This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So VEGA is another bust eh?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So VEGA is another bust eh?

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
4 months ago#21
RyanEsau posted...
If the prices weren't inflated... they'd be pretty good options if you want a Freesync monitor. Cheaper than Gsync monitors and all...

So I don't think it's really anything revolutionary but it's a showcasing of AMD stepping back up.

Although I don't really get why the power draw is like 100+ more than the 1070/1080. Guess efficiency wasn't there strong suit with this one...

Just get a good case with very good airflow, I guess.

The problem is that they aren't stepping back up. It's significantly weaker than the strongest offering that Nvidia offers despite having an enthusiast price. They really needed to show that they can create a card that is more powerful than anything Nvidia has, even if it's just for a few months. The relative performance of the Fury X to the 980ti was better than the Vega 64 is to the 1080ti.

The TDP is so high because the die size is so high compared to the 1080. It's 484mm which is right up there with the 1080ti. Once again, AMD didn't learn their lesson and they made a huge chip which needs a higher voltage. Higher voltage means higher TDP.

Also, the large size of the die also means higher manufacturing costs. Just seems like too little to late. I mean, why would you be competing with a year old card when you're trying to prove that your enthusiast cards are the best on the market? People who are dropping $500-600 for a GPU want the best they can get. Those people aren't likely to just settle for second best. They're much more likely to just save up an extra $100 and get the best. Unsurprisingly, this logic has proven true for Nvidia year after year.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
4 months ago#22
MasteroftheArts posted...
RyanEsau posted...
If the prices weren't inflated... they'd be pretty good options if you want a Freesync monitor. Cheaper than Gsync monitors and all...

So I don't think it's really anything revolutionary but it's a showcasing of AMD stepping back up.

Although I don't really get why the power draw is like 100+ more than the 1070/1080. Guess efficiency wasn't there strong suit with this one...

Just get a good case with very good airflow, I guess.

The problem is that they aren't stepping back up. It's significantly weaker than the strongest offering that Nvidia offers despite having an enthusiast price. They really needed to show that they can create a card that is more powerful than anything Nvidia has, even if it's just for a few months. The relative performance of the Fury X to the 980ti was better than the Vega 64 is to the 1080ti.

The TDP is so high because the die size is so high compared to the 1080. It's 484mm which is right up there with the 1080ti. Once again, AMD didn't learn their lesson and they made a huge chip which needs a higher voltage. Higher voltage means higher TDP.

Also, the large size of the die also means higher manufacturing costs. Just seems like too little to late. I mean, why would you be competing with a year old card when you're trying to prove that your enthusiast cards are the best on the market? People who are dropping $500-600 for a GPU want the best they can get. Those people aren't likely to just settle for second best. They're much more likely to just save up an extra $100 and get the best. Unsurprisingly, this logic has proven true for Nvidia year after year.

totally this, people who are dropping 500-600, they want everything best, including tdp. vega is just disaster all over. vega need price cut to get attention from different crowd who settle forr second best at much lower price

User Info: blly155

blly155
4 months ago#23
a V64 is similar in performance to a 1080. in fact a 1070 out performs it in some situations. for example a 1070 runs GTA V better than a V64.

cheapest V64 i can find is £580 and 1080 is £490.

i don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy a V64 over a 1080 when a 1080 is:

A. cheaper
B. runs cooler
C. has a lower TDP

to be fair V64's are reference cards so we will see aftermarket cards with better coolers but still AMD are terrible for running hot.
PS4 (Slim), PC (i7-6700K, 16GB, GTX 1070).

User Info: man_unt_fan129

man_unt_fan129
4 months ago#24
blly155 posted...
a V64 is similar in performance to a 1080. in fact a 1070 out performs it in some situations. for example a 1070 runs GTA V better than a V64.

cheapest V64 i can find is £580 and 1080 is £490.

i don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy a V64 over a 1080 when a 1080 is:

A. cheaper
B. runs cooler
C. has a lower TDP

to be fair V64's are reference cards so we will see aftermarket cards with better coolers but still AMD are terrible for running hot.

Also have to take into account Vega 64 and 56 have lower overclocking headroom compared to 1080 and 1070. There is absolutely no reason to choose a RX Vega over 1080 and 1070 unless you need a furnace in your room. Not to mention Vega 64 is $599, for $100 more you can get a card that is 40% faster, 1080ti.

User Info: ThePandaForest

ThePandaForest
4 months ago#25
Except vega 64 is $499 and 1080 doesn't overclock very much at all because it's already clocked so high
Vega Frontier Edition | Titan X Pascal
C32HG70 HDR 144Hz 1ms | Vive VR

ThePandaForest
4 months ago#26
Not to mention vega 56 mops the floor with 1070 in benchmarks

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
4 months ago#27
ThePandaForest posted...
Except aircooled vega 64 is $599 and aftermarket 1080 doesn't overclock very much at all because it's already clocked so high

ftfy

User Info: man_unt_fan129

man_unt_fan129
4 months ago#28
ThePandaForest posted...
Except vega 64 is $499 and 1080 doesn't overclock very much at all because it's already clocked so high

No, the $499 price was actually a discount given by AMD to early customers.

https://goo.gl/NZ2RP9

Also 56 performs very similarly to 1070 (maybe 3-5% faster on stock?). Once you overclock both to the max, the 1070 will pull ahead. The boost clocks on the 64 and 56 are already very high (~1500MHz). Most air cooled versions are topping out at 1600-1700MHz. For the 1070s you can change the boost clocks to 2100MHz from 1700MHz.

ThePandaForest
4 months ago#29
The regular version is $499

Only the limited edition is $599

User Info: sickbullet

sickbullet
4 months ago#30
I don't think the day will ever come where AMD beat Nvidia's flagship gpu out right, results are showing the 64 28% off the 1080 ti, this is not good.

Although it's around 30% faster than a Fury X which is what is expected.
Sapphire R9 Fury X - i5 6600k OC 4.6Ghz
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CTcnNyNuohIAPDw-JnFwg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So VEGA is another bust eh?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived