This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So VEGA is another bust eh?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So VEGA is another bust eh?

User Info: premature tyrant

premature tyrant
2 months ago#51
vega is great

my vega performs like an overclocked 1080 in time spy @4k

vega is really good value at $399 and $499
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pandaforest/saved/
- BEST possible gaming PC builds for the $$$ -

User Info: Alex197

Alex197
2 months ago#52
anonymous02135 posted...
MasteroftheArts posted...
RyanEsau posted...
If the prices weren't inflated... they'd be pretty good options if you want a Freesync monitor. Cheaper than Gsync monitors and all...

So I don't think it's really anything revolutionary but it's a showcasing of AMD stepping back up.

Although I don't really get why the power draw is like 100+ more than the 1070/1080. Guess efficiency wasn't there strong suit with this one...

Just get a good case with very good airflow, I guess.

The problem is that they aren't stepping back up. It's significantly weaker than the strongest offering that Nvidia offers despite having an enthusiast price. They really needed to show that they can create a card that is more powerful than anything Nvidia has, even if it's just for a few months. The relative performance of the Fury X to the 980ti was better than the Vega 64 is to the 1080ti.

The TDP is so high because the die size is so high compared to the 1080. It's 484mm which is right up there with the 1080ti. Once again, AMD didn't learn their lesson and they made a huge chip which needs a higher voltage. Higher voltage means higher TDP.

Also, the large size of the die also means higher manufacturing costs. Just seems like too little to late. I mean, why would you be competing with a year old card when you're trying to prove that your enthusiast cards are the best on the market? People who are dropping $500-600 for a GPU want the best they can get. Those people aren't likely to just settle for second best. They're much more likely to just save up an extra $100 and get the best. Unsurprisingly, this logic has proven true for Nvidia year after year.

totally this, people who are dropping 500-600, they want everything best, including tdp. vega is just disaster all over. vega need price cut to get attention from different crowd who settle forr second best at much lower price

This. Vega isn't a bust for me tech-wise; it's a bust price-wise. That being said, it's nice to know they're able to make decent GPU's. I really want more competition in the market.
i7 6800k 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, ASUS Strix 1070 ROG OC Edition, 512GB M.2 SSD, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, Corsair Graphite 780T
PSN: wolves_arsenal; Steam ID: Arsenalfc197

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
2 months ago#53
http://i.imgur.com/if2nXFW.png
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#54
wolves_arsenal posted...
anonymous02135 posted...
RyanEsau posted...
If the prices weren't inflated... they'd be pretty good options if you want a Freesync monitor. Cheaper than Gsync monitors and all...

So I don't think it's really anything revolutionary but it's a showcasing of AMD stepping back up.

Although I don't really get why the power draw is like 100+ more than the 1070/1080. Guess efficiency wasn't there strong suit with this one...

The problem is that they aren't stepping back up. It's significantly weaker than the strongest offering that Nvidia offers despite having an enthusiast price. They really needed to show that they can create a card that is more powerful than anything Nvidia has, even if it's just for a few months. The relative performance of the Fury X to the 980ti was better than the Vega 64 is to the 1080ti.

The TDP is so high because the die size is so high compared to the 1080. It's 484mm which is right up there with the 1080ti. Once again, AMD didn't learn their lesson and they made a huge chip which needs a higher voltage. Higher voltage means higher TDP.

Also, the large size of the die also means higher manufacturing costs. Just seems like too little to late. I mean, why would you be competing with a year old card when you're trying to prove that your enthusiast cards are the best on the market? People who are dropping $500-600 for a GPU want the best they can get. Those people aren't likely to just settle for second best. They're much more likely to just save up an extra $100 and get the best. Unsurprisingly, this logic has proven true for Nvidia year after year.

totally this, people who are dropping 500-600, they want everything best, including tdp. vega is just disaster all over. vega need price cut to get attention from different crowd who settle forr second best at much lower price

This. Vega isn't a bust for me tech-wise; it's a bust price-wise. That being said, it's nice to know they're able to make decent GPU's. I really want more competition in the market.

Heard 56s are alright.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter

User Info: kindofagrump

kindofagrump
2 months ago#55
is the tl;dr of this whole thing:

Vega 56, a little better than a 1070, but way more power hungry, about the same cost as a 1070

Vega 64, on par with the 1080, but way more power hungry, about the same cost as a 1080
?

If so, why in the hell would anyone get a 64 over a 1080?

56 seems like a pretty good deal, so long as ya don't give a s*** about effeciency

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#56
BearShrooms posted...
ThePandaForest posted...
Love how you have to compare a $700 nvidia card to a $500 AMD card to pretend that you have an argument

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that if you have $500 to drop on ONLY your GPU then you should probably just drop the extra $200 and if you honestly can't afford to spend the extra $200 then you probably shouldn't be buying a $500 dollar GPU.

I highly doubt the 'consensus' is a bizarre argument that could be used circularly infinitely.

For most people those high end cards are a decent chunk of an entire month's wages. $200 is not pocket change, and acting as if someone isn't wealthy or upper middle class they should never save up for something is ludicrous.

Either way I can't wait for this 'mining virtual goods" craze to end. It's annoying. I put off getting an upgrade and passing down an older machine to my nephew earlier in the year and the bitcoin nonsense messing up prices caught me off guard.

User Info: celebar

celebar
1 month ago#57
lol amd
thank you for reading my post
regards, celebar

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
1 month ago#58
Voxwik posted...
BearShrooms posted...
ThePandaForest posted...
Love how you have to compare a $700 nvidia card to a $500 AMD card to pretend that you have an argument

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that if you have $500 to drop on ONLY your GPU then you should probably just drop the extra $200 and if you honestly can't afford to spend the extra $200 then you probably shouldn't be buying a $500 dollar GPU.

I highly doubt the 'consensus' is a bizarre argument that could be used circularly infinitely.

For most people those high end cards are a decent chunk of an entire month's wages. $200 is not pocket change, and acting as if someone isn't wealthy or upper middle class they should never save up for something is ludicrous.

Either way I can't wait for this 'mining virtual goods" craze to end. It's annoying. I put off getting an upgrade and passing down an older machine to my nephew earlier in the year and the bitcoin nonsense messing up prices caught me off guard.

Right, so lets say you put away $100 a month and you've saved 5 months to buy this card. Wouldn't it be smarter to just wait 8 more weeks and buy the significantly better card? And if for whatever reason you suddenly are incapable of saving that extra money then you have no disposable income growth which says to me that you likely shouldn't be spending $500 on just a gpu.

Sure, at some point it just keeps going up and up, well if you've saved this much or put away this much. But that kind of goes back to my point about affording these cards. These are enthusiast cards for people with money to blow. If you've got $500 to blow on a card then you likely have $700 to blow on a card or can get it relatively easily. If you can't, then you shouldn't be spending as much on only a card as you could spend to buy an entire rig (outside of the mining price hikes).

There just isn't a scenario where spending $500 is an option and spending $700 isn't an option where spending $500 on a gpu isn't a bad financial choice.

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
1 month ago#59
man_unt_fan129 posted...
blly155 posted...
a V64 is similar in performance to a 1080. in fact a 1070 out performs it in some situations. for example a 1070 runs GTA V better than a V64.

cheapest V64 i can find is £580 and 1080 is £490.

i don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy a V64 over a 1080 when a 1080 is:

A. cheaper
B. runs cooler
C. has a lower TDP

to be fair V64's are reference cards so we will see aftermarket cards with better coolers but still AMD are terrible for running hot.

Also have to take into account Vega 64 and 56 have lower overclocking headroom compared to 1080 and 1070. There is absolutely no reason to choose a RX Vega over 1080 and 1070 unless you need a furnace in your room. Not to mention Vega 64 is $599, for $100 more you can get a card that is 40% faster, 1080ti.

totally this, if i have to pick gpu to use now, i will pick gtx 1080 and not vega epic fail

User Info: anonymous02135

anonymous02135
1 month ago#60
wolves_arsenal posted...
anonymous02135 posted...
RyanEsau posted...

this, vega is epic fail both in tech and price. i wonder what kind of competition in market can there be when you introduce epic fail aka ZERO competition?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So VEGA is another bust eh?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived