This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the worst bosses in the Castlevania series? Broad spoiler warning.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the worst bosses in the Castlevania series? Broad spoiler warning.

User Info: Chaos_Missile

Chaos_Missile
3 months ago#11
Axtlar posted...
Probably Death and Dracula from Symphonia for being so disappointingly easy. Death was especially hyped up after taking your stuff away and then you just face him in some tomb and he dies without breaking a sweat.

To be fair though, nearly every boss in SotN barring Galamoth is easy.
What always confused me about Death though is his change of clothes...
Also, I found it weird that they thought his battle was so good that they had to reuse it again in CotM....

Supremo posted...
the only really difficult boss in the series that I remember giving me trouble is the Werewolf in Akumajou Dracula X68K for the Sharp X68K

And yes, I played and finished both Order of Ecclesia and Lords of Shadow.

Not sure why you put OoE and Lords of Shadows as testament to hard Castlevania games.
Now, if you used Haunted Castle and Dracula X, you might have better argument.

On topic, probably Albus.
Of all his fancy moves: Quadruple Igniz, the crystal, Optical and Vertical Shots, the elemental gylphs, bar none the HARDEST attack to dodge and the one attack that always stops me from getting my medal in Hard Mode.....is his basic shot.

Goddamn thing comes out of nowhere and comes out fast. And due to all the projectiles he uses in the first place, nearly impossible to tell when its coming.
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#12
Chaos_Missile posted...

Mostly true, although the first couple of bosses in 'Luck Mode' (that mode where you have a massive bonus to luck but your other stats are severely gimped) really make you work and those were actually some great battles. Having to whittle down Slogra and Gabon's health while they can kill you in 1-2 hits, and dealing with the 'berserk' survivor after you kill one of them makes for a pretty solid fight and you have to make effective use of your shield and back-dashing instead of just jumping in and slashing until they die as you normally would. Doppelganger is actually pretty deadly in that mode due to how fast some of his attacks are.

Of course, by the time you're a few bosses deep your huge luck stat will have started to pay off and you'll have some ridiculous gear plus you'll have leveled up a bit to make up for the crippled starting stats so then you're left with an even easier game than before you started the challenge. But you'll always have those first couple fights.

Chaos_Missile
3 months ago#13
ElDudorino posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...

Mostly true, although the first couple of bosses in 'Luck Mode' (that mode where you have a massive bonus to luck but your other stats are severely gimped) really make you work and those were actually some great battles. Having to whittle down Slogra and Gabon's health while they can kill you in 1-2 hits, and dealing with the 'berserk' survivor after you kill one of them makes for a pretty solid fight and you have to make effective use of your shield and back-dashing instead of just jumping in and slashing until they die as you normally would. Doppelganger is actually pretty deadly in that mode due to how fast some of his attacks are.

Of course, by the time you're a few bosses deep your huge luck stat will have started to pay off and you'll have some ridiculous gear plus you'll have leveled up a bit to make up for the crippled starting stats so then you're left with an even easier game than before you started the challenge. But you'll always have those first couple fights.

You know: I actually tried Luck Mode once in the PSP port.....it wasnt that much harder. And I think I was even doing more of a berserker(ie Attack! Attack! Attack!) playthrough then.
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#14
You didn't find the beginning harder? I mean, even the wargs in the hallways at the very beginning of the game can kill you in I think 2 hits. Slogra's spear attacks are one-hit kills if I recall and Gaibon's fireballs are two-hits kills unless you've leveled up beforehand. I wouldn't say it's one of the harder gaming experiences out there but it's definitely night and day compared to a normal playthrough.

Chaos_Missile
3 months ago#15
ElDudorino posted...
You didn't find the beginning harder? I mean, even the wargs in the hallways at the very beginning of the game can kill you in I think 2 hits. Slogra's spear attacks are one-hit kills if I recall and Gaibon's fireballs are two-hits kills unless you've leveled up beforehand. I wouldn't say it's one of the harder gaming experiences out there but it's definitely night and day compared to a normal playthrough.

Slightly harder yes, but not by much.

User Info: Hanlo_is_back

Hanlo_is_back
3 months ago#16
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
Hanlo_is_back posted...
Not really PC hardware related, but I'll play along. The final boss of the SNES version of Rondo of Blood is absolute garbage. I did end up beating him, but I felt no feeling of accomplishment afterwards. I felt like I had wasted my time. The bosses in some of the NES games are kinda lame. Castlevania 2 in particular phoned it in with the bosses

Why do people get upset when your discussing games with fellow PC enthusiasts on a PC board? Isn't there an actual PC Hardware Board for talking about hardware?

I'm not upset at all, I happily answered the question in fact.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
3 months ago#17
Citing Curse of Darkness, the worst thing about its bosses is steals that have you put yourself in danger, oftentimes for something stupid and or pointless (it's debatable whether it's worst to have to endanger yourself for something asinine like a literal plate of pasta (Napoletana) or something extremely important Purple Glitter). Minotaurus and Dullahan are cut from the same cloth, and in CRAZY Dullahan sticks out because there's no way to really get around eating that attack, which will take off three quarters of your health like nothing.

Nothing like being at the end of the boss rush only to get oneshot by the bullcrap rocket punch because the steal collision is so awkward.

Albus is weird because he's the last boss before you get your first extra cheesy tool. I note that on Hard Mode you can stall him for a bit at chunks at a time by jumping right over him to bait him into a straight up Ignis jump. You can get him to repeat this a few times, but he'll usually break out of it after like, the third one. It generally seems safer to be going in his direction and jumping over him to try to induce this.

Other than that, especially on Level 1 Hard, best I can say is do Monica's work up to the second one (Corset Dress gives more INT than Party Dress, and Wedding Dress is a STR dress), Laura's work up to the Diamond and Onyx, then strap in the following.

Diamond Pins or Onyx Pins (if you care about the medal, there is no distinction, and the likes of Stephanie aren't available yet)
Corset Dress (Party Dress is weaker and Wedding Dress is a STR dress)
Any boots (There are literally no INT boots)
Magician Ring (I don't think Onyx will beat it by the time you're at Albus)
Onyx Ring

Vol Umbra
Vol Umbra
Sapiens Fio

Vol Umbra is better than Acerbatus because it does more damage and hangs in place, which will get you more shots at him if you bait him into doing straight Ignis kicks or hit him when he tries Acerbatus instead of absorbing it. Just remember that on Hard Mode he'll turn around if you're behind him on Acerbatus.

Though really, I would say that it's boss medals that are the problem, not Albus. I made a topic about that already, basically slagging off any time a game tells you to do something without taking damage when that's not its standard MO (so, as I said in that topic, excluding the likes of Mister Meaty Man).

It's just like "Oh, your health bar and potions are now useless if you want that medal. Good luck chump."

User Info: Shah138

Shah138
3 months ago#18
For me I wasn't a fan of that one that could freeze time in Dawn of Sorrow, and I hated Galgamoth in Symphony. I had a tough time reading the first one, I absolutely hate touch damage for the second one.
Spectre of Dark Aether

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
3 months ago#19
Chaos_Missile posted...
Not sure why you put OoE and Lords of Shadows as testament to hard Castlevania games.

I mentioned the two games in the OP compared to X68K. Didn't think anyone would be idiot enough to think I was starting any kind of "argument".

Learn to read before assuming things that weren't said, so you don't look stupid next time.
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the worst bosses in the Castlevania series? Broad spoiler warning.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived