This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just curious, what would be the next logical upgrade for my PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just curious, what would be the next logical upgrade for my PC?

User Info: Blackstar110

Blackstar110
4 months ago#1
It's running fine at the moment, just always curious.

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
GTX 970
SSD
250 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
1440p monitor

The monitor has freesync, which I'm obviously not using with a GTX 970, so maybe some swap to a Radeon card? Idk.
-Shred

User Info: Cryptarch

Cryptarch
4 months ago#2
Nothing really. Maybe the video card and perhaps you can upgrade to a 2TB HDD.

Blackstar110
4 months ago#3
Cryptarch posted...
Nothing really. Maybe the video card and perhaps you can upgrade to a 2TB HDD.

Cool, I just like checking every couple years to see if I've missed some cool tech stuff.
-Shred

User Info: MASKOAAA

MASKOAAA
4 months ago#4
In this currest rig I wouldn't upgrade anthing I'm running a very similiar rig

i5 2500k
gtx 970
8gig ram
250ssd
3tb hdd

My next upgrade is going to be a new cpu/gpu/mobo and a bigger SSD but not for another 2 years at least theres really no where to go for us unless you want a new cpu/gpu/mobo
D3 Armory Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/

Blackstar110
4 months ago#5
Gotcha. Is it worth making a move to an RX 480 or 580 just to utilize freesync on my monitor or is that too minimal? I suppose I could try to re-sell my 970 to recoup some value too, but I guess it's a matter of whether it's worth the hassle.
-Shred

User Info: MASKOAAA

MASKOAAA
4 months ago#6
I wouldn't bother I have a freesync monitor to just b/c I wanted to try Samsung's VA panels for the better black levels which suits my wants very nicely. Its fun to upgrade I know but sometimes you have to hold back otherwise you have a pile of parts in your room lol.
D3 Armory Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/

User Info: Boge

Boge
4 months ago#7
Blackstar110 posted...
Gotcha. Is it worth making a move to an RX 480 or 580 just to utilize freesync on my monitor or is that too minimal? I suppose I could try to re-sell my 970 to recoup some value too, but I guess it's a matter of whether it's worth the hassle.

I have a 970 myself and would like to get on the Freesync/Gsync bandwagon. I don't want to pay the $200-$300 greed premium to Nvidia though. Unless you could sidegrade for maybe $50 tops, I wouldn't do it. I'd consider an upgrade to a Vega card if you feel the need for an upgrade. Otherwise ride it out for another year and see what happens then.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?

Blackstar110
4 months ago#8
Eh, Vegas are like $500, right? That seems probably unnecessary at this juncture, doesn't it? My 970 seems to be doing okay though I haven't pushed it too hard in a while.
-Shred

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
4 months ago#9
Don't worry about Vega pricing for now. Availability is an issue for the time being.

As far as your system, the next upgrade would be the processor+mobo+ram combination, but you can hold off on upgrades for some time.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

Blackstar110
4 months ago#10
Cool, as long as the 970 hangs tight I'm not really looking to do processor/mobo soon since I did that somewhat recently. Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for bargain prices for AMD sidegrades to take advantage of the freesync monitor, but otherwise in no hurry.
-Shred
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just curious, what would be the next logical upgrade for my PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived