This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like every "great" game this year really isn't.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I feel like every "great" game this year really isn't.

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
2 months ago#1
Sure I can dismiss Zelda (which I think is very good, but obviously not amazing) very easily because of Nintendo fanboys, but every other game on here people seem to love and I think they are all okay (not bad, but not that good)

Nier Automata
Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Hellbalde: Senua's Sacrafice

I'll disclose what I don't like about these games below:

Nier Automata

Oversexualized (lol yes really). The first playthrough is good but short, howeverthen you have to play through the game another time which is exactly the same except you play as boring 9S to get to the the third playthrough The side quests are very fetchy. The same areas are reused over and over. There are not many boss fights. The combat isn't that great. The story is overly thematic and the actual dialogue and actions presented doesn't fulfill what the game tries to make itself out to be by the end. Like the characters talk like their 12, and the game beats it's themes over the head constantly to you. Found this title okay for story, very boring and repetitive for gameplay. My favorite out of all the games I've listed. Score: 7/10

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
A glorified walking simulator with repetitive enemies and combat. Puzzles are boring and uninspired besides for one area. Combat is a snooze fest and interrupts gameplay. It lasts way to long in some areas too. games ending is okay, but weird. Nothing concrete really happens in the story besides her getting over the death of her lover. We can somewhat assume shes less insane, but the voices are still there at the end Game is one of the best looking ever and very atmospheric. The Ending boss fight is horrible. Like I spent 30 minutes fighting, until I realized I had to die Game was decent, not worth $30 and is too long imo (and yes it's only like 7 hours, but it drags). Score: 7/10 mainly because of atmosphere and uniqueness

Nioh

Better than Dark Souls my butt. This game has the same enemies over and over again, as well as reused, uninspired levels. The boss fights are cool for the most part, tho they are all super tanky and kill you in pretty much one hit. Loot is all RNG based which kind of sucks and defeats the purpose of exploration. This is probably the worst game I played out of all of them this year in my opinion. Score: 6/10

Horizon Zero Dawn

It just feels like an Ubisoft game, but made by Gurella. Don't really know what else to say about it, because I feel that sums it up perfectly. Score: 7/10

Closing Thoughts

As you can see my issue with all these games was repetition and lack of inspired gameplay. I don't like doing the same boring thing over again and again. I like variety, and none of these games have that.

What are your guy's thoughts on these games? The general consensus is that they're great, but I think they are all just okay.

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
2 months ago#2
Good for you.

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#3
So there is not one redeeming factor for each of the game you've mentioned?

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
2 months ago#4
CursedPanther posted...
So there is not one redeeming factor for each of the game you've mentioned?

I mean there's stuff I like in all sure. I don't think they are bad, but they do enough stuff I think is bad/dumb/lazy that I feel they aren't fantastic games.

User Info: ssringo

ssringo
2 months ago#5
bubbub01 posted...
What are your guy's thoughts on these games?

Sure, I'll chime in.

Nier:Automata - Not only my favorite game of the year by a long shot, it's also sitting as my favorite game ever (sorry Chrono Trigger). The combat isn't brilliant but doesn't need to be either. It's good enough and flashy enough to stay enjoyable between story parts. The story is interesting with nice reveals and some great retroactive storytelling. The English voice cast did a fantastic job with 9S being especially (and surprisingly) good. The soundtrack and use of music throughout the game is top notch. The final boss was incredible. Few games have stuck with me emotionally and mentally like N:A did.

Nioh - I think it's a really good first attempt at a the Dark Souls formula. Certainly better than other attempts (Lords of the Fallen). I do agree with the repetitive enemies but I think that making the game stage based magnifies the issue. The random loot is okay but definitely not as good as having set loot. The story is unsurprisingly forgettable.

Hellblade didn't look very fun to play so I didn't. Wasn't interested in Horizon. I've never liked Persona so I didn't bother with that one either. I haven't cared for Zelda since N64 and previews of BotW showed enough things I didn't like that I didn't buy a Switch for it (good call as nothing else on the system interests me). Tales of Berseria was a great game that's getting overlooked because it released so early in the year and right before the surge of hype releases.
Hi

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#6
I suppose I can relate that HZD has done nothing exceptionally ground breaking on its own. But what really worth mentioning about it is Guerilla manages to combine the many formulas that have worked in other action titles into one and not end up being one giant mess, which I would say Ubisoft has serious troubles with for its titles from time to time.

Haven't played NA myself and have only watched some gameplay footage, yet I've seen the term 'oversexualized' being applied to it more than once. Honestly, apart from the silly fan service DLC costumes you don't have to bother with at all, is there anything else sexualized about it? The default black dress that most people seem to stick to is as non-revealing as a dress can be if you ask me.

User Info: rx54

rx54
2 months ago#7
Prey is better than all of them is what I think
Doesn't seem like you play anything but 3rd person combat games
Click here for a dopamine release ---> https://youtu.be/It4WxQ6dnn0

User Info: ChaseFAQs

ChaseFAQs
2 months ago#8
rx54 posted...
Prey is better than all of them is what I think
Doesn't seem like you play anything but 3rd person combat games

This. Play Prey.

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
2 months ago#9
PUBG
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
2 months ago#10
Tekken 7
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I feel like every "great" game this year really isn't.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived