This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like every "great" game this year really isn't.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I feel like every "great" game this year really isn't.

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
3 months ago#61
Well, everyone has their own favs this year. We can't just force everyone to like the same game we like.
My personal favorites this year are:
Persona 5- Great everything else, but the story is weaker compared to the previous ones while the party characters are pretty cliched.
Nier Automata- Good Gameplay as expected from Platinum and good story that tackles mature themes.
Breath of the Wild- Open-World design is amazing but the dungeons, bosses and enemies had to suffer as a result.
Prey- Great game that reminds me of System Shock with some Dead Space in it.
Pyre- It's pretty good since Supergiant made it.

Really want to know the rest of your favs this year.
Loves RPGs from Atlus, FromSoftware, Obsidian, and CDProjektRed.

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 months ago#62
PlayerAnonymous posted...

It's really tough this fall because I want so much but not enough $ or even HDD space to go around lol

September:
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

October:
Forza Motorsport 7
Middle Earth Shadow of War
Evil Within 2
Destiny 2
Assassin's Creed Origins

November:
COD: WW2
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Out of these, I'm guaranteed getting Ys 8, MvC:I, and Assassin's Creed Origins. Beyond that, it depends on the $. I could probably fit 2 more and it would likely be Destiny 2 and SW:BF2. If I could, I'd just get all of them. I think they're worth it but realistically I don't have the time, $ or HDD space.

User Info: neroAngelo

neroAngelo
3 months ago#63
bubbub01 posted...
Nioh has great combat, and I agree with that the level design suck, BUT I felt like the enemy variety was really lacking. The same yokai over and over and over again.

I remember counting by memory a little while ago and getting ~30 enemy types not including bosses or elemental reskins. That's not too bad.

The issue is you're introduced to a majority of the enemy types in the 1st few areas of the game, so you aren't regularly seeing new ones. They also don't really have enemies assigned to particular levels, they are used everywhere. And they tend to use a few select enemies a lot more than others. I kind of put that in the bad level design category since the enemies they have aren't placed or used in levels as well as they could be.
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 6700k@4.5, 32GB DDR4, 1070 G1 8GB, 512GB 840 pro, 960 GB SanDisk Ultra II, HTC Vive

User Info: gamefaqwatcher

gamefaqwatcher
3 months ago#64
Hellblade must have had one hell of a campaign to give it the great status.
See you in WoD! Praise the sun! Diamond Dog is a Wolf! Currently playing: Dark Souls 1
Weebs refer to the mana series as Seiken Densetsu.

User Info: Hagan

Hagan
3 months ago#65
bubbub01 posted...
Hagan posted...
PUBG is probably the best multiple game this year, and its taking over steam charts and sales records.

JonWood007 posted...
Only really great game out this year so far IMO is PUBG.

I don't understand the love. I have like 50 hours and I'm burnt out. It was fun while it lasted. But then I have friends with hundreds of hours. Again, like every other game I talked about, it gets pretty repetitive. Especially after you win a couple times.

I honestly don't get it either. I have about 70+ hours played, but I could not tell you why it took off the way it did.

I do enjoy the game, but I can only play one or two matches before I get bored and go back to Overwatch.

bubbub01 posted...
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
Hagan posted...
I didn't play any of those Japanese games

Hagan posted...
I enjoyed BotW

<_<

Well I mean most people don't call Mario and Zelda Japanese games to be fair. Japanese is more like your Persona or Niers. The weirder more obtuse stuff.

This is exactly my take on it.
BNET = Mike#1931
Steam = mhagan1986

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
3 months ago#66
randomoaf posted...
PlayerAnonymous posted...

It's really tough this fall because I want so much but not enough $ or even HDD space to go around lol

September:
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

October:
Forza Motorsport 7
Middle Earth Shadow of War
Evil Within 2
Destiny 2
Assassin's Creed Origins

November:
COD: WW2
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Out of these, I'm guaranteed getting Ys 8, MvC:I, and Assassin's Creed Origins. Beyond that, it depends on the $. I could probably fit 2 more and it would likely be Destiny 2 and SW:BF2. If I could, I'd just get all of them. I think they're worth it but realistically I don't have the time, $ or HDD space.

In bold are the games I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year plus Cuphead, Wolfenstien 2, Mario Oddessy, and that Mario Rabids game.

I will probably not get Evil Within 2 on release. Probably wait for a sale.

I don't know why people are excited for AC Origins. Looks to me like every other game.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
3 months ago#67
bubbub01 posted...
BearShrooms posted...
You are buying the "next great thing" in a product line being developed for the mass public. Of course it's not going to be great. This is pretty close to when pepsi or mt dew come out with a new special flavor and super hype it up. Sure, every now and then one of them sticks. But a game creators job isn't to make great games, it's to sell games. They don't care if their game is actually great as long as it sells enough to make a good profit and is decent enough to keep the franchise/company going.

On top of all of this, even when the general public considers a game to be great you need to be wary because the general public is stupid and has poor taste (see: the fast food industry).

Not understanding why you are pushing marketing into this.

My argument was over people's tastes only. I'm too old (20 lol) to fall for marketing bs. If a game is gonna be bad 9 times out of 10 I can smell it (besides Mafia 3 rip me). What I was dissapointed in was because ACTUAL gamers who play more than just COD found these games to be exceptional, while I find them all meh.

And to your point about the fast-food industry, the main reason it's popular is because the food is good for the price you pay for it and the time you have to wait. It's not people being stupid, it's literally just so accessible that the industry is going to be huge. Not sure if you were referring to options that were more health conscious, because yeah it sucks that there's no place I can go to get a healthy meal that's not a salad that is made quickly.

I'm bringing up marketing because that's what people generally assume are going to be the "great" games. People rarely make these kinds of decisions on their own and rely on companies to tell them. It's a good thing that you at the ripe old age of 20 are immune to marketing, most adults aren't, regardless of age.

And thanks for making my point regarding the fast fgood industry. For the cost of two people eating meals at fast food restaurants I can make you both a steak dinner with all the fixings that will taste better than something you can get at 3/4's of the restaurants in america, and as far as taste goes... bleh, i guess if you "LIKE" paying that much for the equivalent of walmart frozen stuff, I just think that's poor taste. I can eat for a week, healthily, for the same price of one fast food combo, and it's quicker, sounds pretty stupid to me.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I feel like every "great" game this year really isn't.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived