This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC; any tips before I checkout my cart? (Build)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC; any tips before I checkout my cart? (Build)

User Info: kidbizkit

kidbizkit
2 months ago#1
Hi,

thanks in advance for the tips/help.

My budget is 2,000 Canadian. I have always been a console gamer and own X1, PS4 & Switch. Primarily, I am purchasing a computer to learn how to code as a hobby for now (maybe a career switch down the road). But since I have such a passion for video games I thought why not buy a PC that I can play games too!

As bad as I want to invest in the best (1080 TI + 1440p G-sync monitor) those upgrades will have to come in 2018 sometime, so I have picked parts that I think will allow that growth. For now I settled on a base GPU and cheap monitor. I am also interested in the Next Gen of VR (Oculus Rift 2 when it comes around).

Anywhere, below is what I have in my Amazon cart:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 270R
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
M/B: MSI Z270 GAMING M5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Storage: Western Digital 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM
Display: ASUS VE247H 24-Inch
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Corsair Gaming Harpoon RGB Mouse

Any call outs? PC part picker says there are no compatibility issues?
No credit is better than an UWE BOLL credit
Gamertag: Chapta5 Nintendo friend code: 0834-2253-6713

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#2
Slightly off-topic, next gen NVIDIA GPU Volta will arrive in 2018 so you probably won't need a 1080Ti anymore by then.

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
2 months ago#3
Current gen i5 are good as death for new builds, wait for coffee lake or go ryzen1600/B350mobo for good alternative.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

kidbizkit
2 months ago#4
Nice! and that should still be compatible with the hardware I purchase this year right?

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
2 months ago#5
kidbizkit posted...
Nice! and that should still be compatible with the hardware I purchase this year right?

Coffee lake is for the upcoming Z370 mobos, so current Z270 mobos will not support it.

However current Amd am4 platform will be supported until year 2020 or so.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

kidbizkit
2 months ago#6
Did some reading on the Ryzen, going with it now... (1600X and the X370 motherboard). Sounds like it's more future proof with the multiple cores. I can still use a NVIDIA card down the road right? I'd prefer to let the next iterations slug it out and decide. (Volta/Vega)

Oh and I switched out my cooler with one that doesn't require a mounting bracket to be ordered, and found Ram with less than 3200mhz. (Compatibility issues?)

Thanks!

kidbizkit
2 months ago#7
1 cooler should be enough right? My case says it can fit 3 fans... is that overkill?

User Info: King Pazuzu

King Pazuzu
2 months ago#8
Save some money and downgrade to a 256GB SSD. Use that money to get a 1060?
In a 6 person hot tub, there should be a maximum of 3 guys.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
2 months ago#9
kidbizkit posted...
Did some reading on the Ryzen, going with it now... (1600X and the X370 motherboard). Sounds like it's more future proof with the multiple cores. I can still use a NVIDIA card down the road right? I'd prefer to let the next iterations slug it out and decide. (Volta/Vega)

Not only does Ryzen have more cores, but the platform will support multiple processor generations, so you should have an upgrade path for awhile.

Yeah, you can still use an NVIDIA card. I would strongly recommend trying to get to a 1060, though. A 1050 is really just the bare minimum. It's not much better than gaming on your consoles. I would even cheap out on the mouse and keyboard and buy a volume license key for Windows 10 from Reddit (or somewhere) if it means getting a better GPU.

And Vega unfortunately won't compete with Volta. It just barely competes with Pascal. Unless NVIDIA decides - for some completely unforeseeable reason - to not release high-end cards with Volta like AMD did with Polaris, then Volta will be in a class of its own. Navi might be a different story, but with Vega having just come out, it's hard to say when Navi will appear.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#10
ajxh posted...
kidbizkit posted...

Not only does Ryzen have more cores, but the platform will support multiple processor generations, so you should have an upgrade path for awhile.

Yeah, you can still use an NVIDIA card. I would strongly recommend trying to get to a 1060, though. A 1050 is really just the bare minimum. It's not much better than gaming on your consoles. I would even cheap out on the mouse and keyboard and buy a volume license key for Windows 10 from Reddit (or somewhere) if it means getting a better GPU.

And Vega unfortunately won't compete with Volta. It just barely competes with Pascal. Unless NVIDIA decides - for some completely unforeseeable reason - to not release high-end cards with Volta like AMD did with Polaris, then Volta will be in a class of its own. Navi might be a different story, but with Vega having just come out, it's hard to say when Navi will appear.

Only thing I found I didn't like about Ryzen was no integrated graphics. Otherwise Ryzen seems to be a solid CPU, can't go wrong with it. AMD's GPU's on the other hand not sure, but choosing Ryzen for a CPU is just fine and is future proof. The new coffee lake intel processor has more cores but is not compatible with 200 or 100 series board and that pisses me off.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID: splatter_1 or Captain Splatter
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC; any tips before I checkout my cart? (Build)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived