This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need suggestion from cord cutters

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need suggestion from cord cutters

User Info: qeoijlijw

qeoijlijw
1 month ago#11
technology and old geezers do not mix
Now watching: The Sun

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
1 month ago#12
youngfossil posted...
sfcalimari posted...
get Kodi with Covenant

Real talk. Kodi sucks. Half the time is being spent looking for a link that works. And there is a lot of maintenance the average user wouldnt know how to do.

And the quality is shyt

Get Sling. You can get a cheap package. It work on apple TV im pretty sure

Not for me. I use Kodi w/ Covenant, Real Debrid, I get 1080p streams instantly. No problem here.
Rig: R5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz | MSI B350M Bazooka | EVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Headset: Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 month ago#13
qeoijlijw posted...
technology and old geezers do not mix

I'm starting to learn this first hand.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#14
I use multiple.

directv now. The android app is pretty bad, but works fine on PC.
Amazon prime video since they actually have some movies that fit 21:9.
AnYme for anime stuff.

I haven't used kodi for a long time tbh.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
1 month ago#15
I bought my aunt a roku player. I set up Netflix and a bunch of other channels for her. ...it never gets turned on unless I'm there.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: nononoyesyesyes

nononoyesyesyes
4 weeks ago#16
i dont think its just about having something on in the background, its also about being shiftless.
most people possibly without realizing it like the fact that shows are programmed into time slots and maintain randomness.
its "hmm whats episode is on next" vs "hey imma choose to watch seasons 2-7 of cheers in succession" snore.

the randomness provides a certain remarkable feeling.
otherwise its kid in a candy store.
full of ideas, but overwhelmed and shiftless to make a choice.

i got on OTA at my ladies and have cable at my apt.
depending on the area, youd be surprised what stuff comes in.

old films/modern tvs sitcoms/new and old game shows/modern reality crap/true crime/pbs nature stuff etc etc etc...
i have a list of shows i can pull from per night.
i can i go from seinfeld to king of queens to american dad to king of the hill to family guy to cleveland show to tosh.o with me changing channels when necesarry to keep up.

look into OTA sites like these:
https://www.antennaweb.org
https://nocable.org/hd-antenna-coverage-map

definitely know whats in your area beforehand then cross reference with this for your area:
http://www.tv.com/listings/

i would not spend more than maybe $20 on an antenna.
my lady got some cheapo $10 one from amazon.
i feel that playlists speak to the younger gens much better whereas i prefer the randomness of preprogrammed time slots.

only problem i see TC is that with 3 tvs, they are more than likely going to need to 3 antennas and depending on which direction or pull from the house you can manage, they may not all be simpatico.

still, $10 isnt too bad to test the waters.
you could also try an outdoor antenna that youd mount and then cable all the tvs from there, but eh... it may prove more work for ya and squirrelling around your walls to pump cord through isnt for everyone.
i mean...the $10 job i stick it to a wall or window and call it a day.

i wouldnt do sling or satellite when the stuffs free anyway.
i mean... check that tv listings site i linked.
if you cant find 10 shows that look interesting thatd come in, i dont know.
cable has spoiled alot of people, but ive come to realize alot of its just bloat.
if its more that they just like something on, OTA has that and in HD no less.

good luck and godspeed

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
4 weeks ago#17
What I discovered when tryin to get my parents off cable and on some streaming is this:

it is worth the cost of cable to NOT have to try and get your parents off cable and on some streaming.

Also unless she has asked you to do this specifically, she is going to actively resist the change. Good luck. rq

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 weeks ago#18
nononoyesyesyes posted...
i would not spend more than maybe $20 on an antenna.
my lady got some cheapo $10 one from amazon.
i feel that playlists speak to the younger gens much better whereas i prefer the randomness of preprogrammed time slots.

only problem i see TC is that with 3 tvs, they are more than likely going to need to 3 antennas and depending on which direction or pull from the house you can manage, they may not all be simpatico.

still, $10 isnt too bad to test the waters.
you could also try an outdoor antenna that youd mount and then cable all the tvs from there, but eh... it may prove more work for ya and squirrelling around your walls to pump cord through isnt for everyone.
i mean...the $10 job i stick it to a wall or window and call it a day.

problem is those chepo antennas dont work for every area and they often have s*** range/poor channel selection/are open to interference. try a chepo (since they're cheap) then when it doesn't work by something like a releaf or a decent outdoor antenna and spend a day running wires for your house.

all told i spent maybe $100 to set up an antenna for all the tv's in my home, that's the cost of the antenna and the cost of a coax cable kit.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: MASKOAAA

MASKOAAA
4 weeks ago#19
I think getting her off Comcast cable and going to Direct TV as a new subscriber might be her best option....for one she'll get a deal being a new customer sorta like Comcast customers do but then they screw you in the price after.....

of course she's going to keep comcast for internet b/c they have the best around here.
D3 Armory Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/

User Info: Boge

Boge
4 weeks ago#20
MASKOAAA posted...
I think getting her off Comcast cable and going to Direct TV as a new subscriber might be her best option....for one she'll get a deal being a new customer sorta like Comcast customers do but then they screw you in the price after.....

of course she's going to keep comcast for internet b/c they have the best around here.

My friends have Comcast internet, and they bundle cheap cable with it for a period. When that is going to increase, my friends always tell them they're going to cancel unless they can keep the cheaper deal. Comcast agrees.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need suggestion from cord cutters

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived