This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam controller worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller worth it?

User Info: Neo1661

Neo1661
3 months ago#1
I'm using xbox 360 controller atm but thinking of getting steam controller. Do some games work better with steam controller? How well does Torchlight 2 play with it?
https://goo.gl/vRAucu
http://i.imgur.com/51jBWDy.png

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
3 months ago#2
Some genres are a lot better and some are worse. TL2 feels a lot more comfortable but at the cost of accuracy and some skill flexibility. Close to what it feels like playing Diablo 3 on the PC and on the consoles.

The face buttons aren't that great though, so games heavy on those are a little harder to recommend for, especially out of straight out of the box, but if you don't mind taking a look at profiles and/or remapping to your own liking, then it's a great alternative (not replacement).

User Info: HotshotJoe

HotshotJoe
3 months ago#3
Depends are you willing to take the time to customize controls for each game?
Or do you want to jump in and play asap?
That's why I'm streaming LoLz right now and why I have bought 9300 IP on two accounts so far. Because I don't play it. Makes perfect sense ~ Karmic Dragon

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
3 months ago#4
I love mine for any game that benefits from a mouse.

Stardew Valley and City Skylines are what I use it for mostly. I highly recommend it.
Now with 100% real fruit juice

User Info: betatech

betatech
3 months ago#5
Depends on the game, I find it useful for the odd game without gamepad support and as an alternative to the keyboard and mouse in desktop mode to navigate around windows.

HotshotJoe posted...
Depends are you willing to take the time to customize controls for each game?
Or do you want to jump in and play asap?

Games may have pre-made setups available, both official and fan versions.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
3 months ago#6
I lean to saying no. And yes I've owned it.

It's a great idea, it has excellent customization ability, but I think it needs a big physical design overhaul.

And really at the end of the day if it's a game where I would feel that the Steam controller would be beneficial to me because of how much stuff you can map to it, I'd rather just use an actual mouse/keyboard. A Roccat Sova may cost plenty more and have wires, but I think it's still a lot better to use than a controller.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
3 months ago#7
No. You'd be better suited with an Xbox One remote.
Rig: R5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz | MSI B350M Bazooka | EVGA GTX 1080 | 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Headset: Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro

User Info: SirisS_G_P

SirisS_G_P
3 months ago#8
Yea, it increases the skill ceiling for what a controller can achieve, Sometimes to the level where it is considered cheating if you're using a Steam Controller.
Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sirisS-G-P/

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 months ago#9
Neo1661 posted...
Do some games work better with steam controller?

Yes. Anything that's really mouse/pointer-centric will be much more responsive.

Neo1661 posted...
How well does Torchlight 2 play with it?

Being a "click, click, click, click" game, Torchlight 2 would benefit greatly from the Steam controller. Too bad I played it before the Steam controller was available... and have no interest in playing it again.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#10
The Steam controller is good, but most of the good comes from the fact that it's very configurable and works with games that normally require keyboard and mouse. If you're the kind of person who can't stand not having two analog sticks then you'll hate the steam controller (because it only has one).

I like my steam controller and I use it often, but I don't use it for everything and I've seen one or two games where having a standard Xbox 360 controller works better (just because the game in question was designed for two analog sticks and the haptic feedback doesn't quite make up for the loss of a 2nd stick).

If you want to get one, make sure you're willing to try out several control schemes or design your own. If you just want to grab a controller and play then you'll be better off with a standard Xbox controller.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived