This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam controller worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller worth it?

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
4 months ago#11
I got mine in one of the first shipments a couple years ago now. I used it heavy for like 3-6 months and then honestly grew bored with it and only use it for the very occasional thing here and there.

It's better now that user profiles are fairly commonplace, but I still find myself not liking the exact setup people upload, and still end up customizing a fair bit. So it's kinda of thrown on a backburner for a select few games that I'd already customized for it, and I generally just don't feel like messing with it for new games. :|

But at the same note, I don't like the left side of the controller at all, and generally speaking it's better suited for games that benefit from mixed input or mouse control. If the game doesn't allow simultaneous use of KB+M and a gamepad, I find it's meh to use--generally opting for either a 360 controller or just straight KB+M if it requires precision.

Things like GTA V were fantastic for it, for example. I played a few third-person shooters with mixed input and they were relatively good, Lost Planet 3, new Ghost Recon games and such played quite nicely with it. But otherwise it's just kind of a mixed bag to me.
PC (1/2017) http://i.imgur.com/0SVA6BP.png
HTC Vive. Embrace the VRevolution

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 months ago#12
betatech posted...
Games may have pre-made setups available, both official and fan versions.

And you'll still want to customize those. I've never found a profile that's exactly what I want, I always end up tweaking it. Especially the right touchpad and triggers. So many profiles just use a regular right joystick on the touchpad and double map the triggers.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: deadjohndoe

deadjohndoe
4 months ago#13
I like a lot of things about the Steam controller. The haptic feedback works phenomenally well, there is a lot of customization options, and you can use it on games that don't traditionally work well with controllers.

There were two things that made me stop using it. The big one is the ergonomics. I can't use it for even medium amounts of time without discomfort. The second is how troublesome it can be to get setup just right. It takes a lot of fiddling, and you have to do it for every single game to get things just right.

I really hope they come out with a version 2 at some point that fixes the ergonomics.

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
4 months ago#14
Worth it? Yes.
Required? No.

User Info: Paulo_Lopes

Paulo_Lopes
4 months ago#15
I really like mine but I enjoy customizing the hell out of it. There are flaws, sure: build quality is less than ideal in my mind, but the additional buttons, gyro and the API overall make it my preferred controller.

I would like to see a V2 with better buttons/triggers and a real dpad either replacing the left touchpad or replacing the analog stick (they had a prototype like this before the final design)

Still, even if you don't go with a steam controller, the dualshock is a great option since it also has a gyro that steam supports.
~~ The self-appointed Immortal Iron Fist of the C&GN Board. ~~

User Info: EpicKingdom_

EpicKingdom_
4 months ago#16
Not worth it.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#17
Paulo_Lopes posted...
I really like mine but I enjoy customizing the hell out of it. There are flaws, sure: build quality is less than ideal in my mind, but the additional buttons, gyro and the API overall make it my preferred controller.

I would like to see a V2 with better buttons/triggers and a real dpad either replacing the left touchpad or replacing the analog stick (they had a prototype like this before the final design)

Still, even if you don't go with a steam controller, the dualshock is a great option since it also has a gyro that steam supports.

The touch pad for navigation is trash though, but the gyro is indeed nice.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 months ago#18
I know a few people who have it. they say its good for some games but the 360 controller still works best over all.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#19
If you have a 360 controller then you won't really get that much from changing to a Steam one. Don't get me wrong, I've got both and I really like the Steam controller but I don't think it gives you that big of an advantage just by itself. It can really work well if you decide you love it and start tinkering with it even more, however, if you decide you don't, then it's not going to be that different.

So, I'd say that if you have the money for it and want to treat yourself, go for it but other than that, don't feel obliged to change over.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Paulo_Lopes

Paulo_Lopes
3 months ago#20
captsplatter_1 posted...
Paulo_Lopes posted...

The touch pad for navigation is trash though, but the gyro is indeed nice.

I actually got to a pad-as-navigation config that I really like now in the witcher 3 but the reality is that the analog stick itself is kinda bad on the steam controller and changing it is harder than in the dualshock. Plus, using that giant disk as a DPad feels worse for me. I've been switching between dualshock and steam controller all the time these past few weeks and I really wish there was a hybrid design of my favorite aspects of the Steam controller, the dualshock and the Xbox One controller.
~~ The self-appointed Immortal Iron Fist of the C&GN Board. ~~
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Steam controller worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived