This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Clans in online (FPS) gaming. Do they still exist as they did 10+ years ago?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Clans in online (FPS) gaming. Do they still exist as they did 10+ years ago?

User Info: X Slayer007 X

X Slayer007 X
3 months ago#1
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it's been on my mind for years.

Do clans still exist? I'm talking in the context of how things were when I started playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault over 15 years ago and progressed to the original Call of Duty, its expansion United Offensive, COD2, and lastly, COD4 Modern Warfare.

Back then there were dedicated servers that regular people would lease and usually these people would do it on behalf of their clan. The administrator could make whatever rules they wanted, switch the map rotation, and even add mods that were free for everyone....all you needed was to download something -usually from their website.

These clans had actual websites that were usually just a few pages, but everyone would use the forums. They were in that specific format (something to do with php Nuke? But I don't know...). The forums were fairly generic - general discussions, private forums for clan members only, recruitment application forums, and a few more miscellaneous ones. Nearly every clan had a forum like this.

Then each clan usually had some TeamSpeak or Ventrillo server where members could talk to each other without typing. This was mainly used to communicate during matches! Matches were usually hosted by TeamWarfareLeague, CAL (I don't even remember what this stood for) and you'd climb up the ladder. Some clans were very competitive and elite and you got to remember some of the players from those clans. Others took themselves too seriously with their strange and arbitrary rules.

Needless to say, it was pretty easy to form tight-knit communities. When xfire came out a little later, it was even easier to befriend others and make more rivals. You could easily follow people into servers. It was such a robust system compared to the clunky xboxlive interface these days.

====

Now, or in the past few years, none of this seems to exist anymore. There are no clans except maybe 1 or 2 random friends that play together with the same clan tag in matchmaking servers. Doesn't really count and you'll never see them again or anyone else from that game. No clan specific websites..Does anyone use teamspeak or ventrillo anymore? Are there leagues and ladders for competition still? I think some people play professionally, but I speak of a time when things were more casual and you didn't have to be pro level! Consoles certainly don't have that same interface as a flexible PC, but then again, I haven't played PC games in forever. Call of Duty 4 was probably the last hurrah for me. I played MW2 and BO2 but otherwise all the COD's after 4 didn't have that same impact on me. I'm sure some communities still exist and if you try hard enough, you can make them happen or be part of one, but if all those things I just mentioned don't really exist anymore, it seems too difficult anyway..

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have a similar experience to me?
{aB} RIP Lyrics Topic (6/12/2003 - 1/31/2007)
Hello Vinnie. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check! *stab* The pen is truly mightier than the sword!

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
3 months ago#2
I haven't played Call of Duty games in awhile but I was playing Killing Floor 1 quite a lot for the past few weeks and even for as old as game as that is, it still has clans, servers, bots, and mods etc. active all the time. There also seemed to be some clans or groups of players on Zombie Army Trilogy. I'm more of a co-op game player though, not a MP player. I'm sure popular MP games like PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds have a few of them at least, and Destiny 2 is pretty much guaranteed to have them.

Mind you I personally haven't been part of a clan since Diablo 2. If you wanted to make one, we could do that if you wanted :P
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Jar_Jar

Jar_Jar
3 months ago#3
They still exist in some old games. Day of Defeat Source, for example, still has some active clans in a few servers.

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
3 months ago#4
Clans evolved into real teams, this ain't 1999 anymore yo

X Slayer007 X
3 months ago#5
Why is it still something that only exists in older games? Is it because of the reasons I mentioned above? Could it be that the player demographics are much different? If that is the case, I'd have trouble determining what changed...back when clans were more popular, there were people of all ages and skills...40 year old dads to 13 year olds, random girls of all ages...and then a lot of people in between. People back then still talked crap and could be aggressive, but generally people were a bit nicer. A lot of the people I played with were nerds like me and nerds tend to be nicer anyway haha.

I'd love to go back to the old days of when clans were a bigger thing, but no time anymore :O Still, sure is fun getting nostalgic about it.
Hello Vinnie. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check! *stab* The pen is truly mightier than the sword!

User Info: Jar_Jar

Jar_Jar
3 months ago#6
X Slayer007 X posted...
Why is it still something that only exists in older games? Is it because of the reasons I mentioned above? Could it be that the player demographics are much different? If that is the case, I'd have trouble determining what changed...back when clans were more popular, there were people of all ages and skills...40 year old dads to 13 year olds, random girls of all ages...and then a lot of people in between. People back then still talked crap and could be aggressive, but generally people were a bit nicer. A lot of the people I played with were nerds like me and nerds tend to be nicer anyway haha.

I'd love to go back to the old days of when clans were a bigger thing, but no time anymore :O Still, sure is fun getting nostalgic about it.

I think it's because, in most newer multiplayer games, you don't play on servers owned by clans like in the old days. Instead, you do matchmaking and such and play with new people every time. In the old days, and in old games still being played, you play with the same people some of the time if you stick to certain servers. That isn't possible in newer games with matchmaking.

X Slayer007 X
3 months ago#7
Jar_Jar posted...
X Slayer007 X posted...

I think it's because, in most newer multiplayer games, you don't play on servers owned by clans like in the old days. Instead, you do matchmaking and such and play with new people every time. In the old days, and in old games still being played, you play with the same people some of the time if you stick to certain servers. That isn't possible in newer games with matchmaking.

Yeah that's probably the root cause. I guess they wanted to optimize how people find games, but to me I was perfectly fine with going to servers that I was familiar with because of the other regulars that also frequented there, the map rotation, and/or the general vibe. But I may be in the minority!

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#8
Losing clans is one of the reasons i stopped multiplayer gaming.
It was really fun getting together with your clan, knowing everyone's skills, and organizing clan matches.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
3 months ago#9
Not really.

Most games have automated/built in systems that supersede all the thing that clans back in the day had to do/were built around.

You can basically be in a clan/guild nowadays without really having to interact with your mates.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

X Slayer007 X
3 months ago#10
SinisterSlay posted...
Losing clans is one of the reasons i stopped multiplayer gaming.
It was really fun getting together with your clan, knowing everyone's skills, and organizing clan matches.

Yeah that's probably why I stopped too, subconsciously. Once MW2 came out, it just wasn't the same and it took me a while to figure out what was missing. To be fair, I was able to play a few rounds with some friends from old clans, but they never played much. And now I have no idea where they are these days! Black ops 2 was the end of the end though haha..

Before my son was born, I did play a lot of Battlefield One on the xbox - that was great though and strangely the absence of clans wasn't really weighing on my mind.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Clans in online (FPS) gaming. Do they still exist as they did 10+ years ago?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived