This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Clans in online (FPS) gaming. Do they still exist as they did 10+ years ago?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Clans in online (FPS) gaming. Do they still exist as they did 10+ years ago?

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
3 months ago#11
Lack of dedicated servers was the downfall of the clan.
Now with 100% real fruit juice

User Info: Dualistic

Dualistic
3 months ago#12
I remember being a kid when I first started playing quake2. Clans back then seemed like the coolest thing when I heard about them.

Being considered good enough to add the tag to your name. Or maybe you just had some promising potential or were an up and coming player. It was fun.

Most of the clans had their favorite servers to hang out on or even their own private servers. I miss those days.

User Info: JhayCee

JhayCee
3 months ago#13
I remember the old version of Warframe where they had this player-conflict event called Solar Rails. A clan may take hold of a sector and other clans can contest it. When a clan raises the tax to ridiculous amount for that sector, other clans will cooperate and try to throw them off. Needless to say, the whole system made clans more engaging as it feels like you're part of an intergalactic politics where your clan matters.
We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama on PC vs Console

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
3 months ago#14
Plenty of clans in Planetside 2 since the game lends itself to it, but then again not sure that counts or not.

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
3 months ago#15
10+ years ago clans were organised on foruums and represented in game by tags in your name.

These days they are built into the games.

User Info: Dash064

Dash064
3 months ago#16
Don't forget the xat chats we used :) good times

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
3 months ago#17
lol

'member xfire? everyone and their dog used that s*** before Steam got big :p

User Info: iimthomas

iimthomas
3 months ago#18
You know what I miss?

mIRC

User Info: X Slayer007 X

X Slayer007 X
3 months ago#19
Dualistic posted...
I remember being a kid when I first started playing quake2. Clans back then seemed like the coolest thing when I heard about them.

Being considered good enough to add the tag to your name. Or maybe you just had some promising potential or were an up and coming player. It was fun.

Most of the clans had their favorite servers to hang out on or even their own private servers. I miss those days.

Hell yeah - while I never played quake, the same applies to the games I did play. I remember coming home from school and seeing my usuals on my usual servers. I remember joining my first clan and being accepted during a tryout...felt nice!

DXMG posted...
lol

'member xfire? everyone and their dog used that s*** before Steam got big :p

xfire was the s***. It was THE way to stay in touch with people even if you no longer played the game you knew them from. So sad that the site and I assume program are no longer up.

iimthomas posted...
You know what I miss?

mIRC

Was this that chat system? I remember having to use this to join pick up games with randoms. Felt like a match but you were matched with randoms. A good way to practice your competitive side.
{aB} RIP Lyrics Topic (6/12/2003 - 1/31/2007)
Hello Vinnie. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check! *stab* The pen is truly mightier than the sword!

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
3 months ago#20
X Slayer007 X posted...
Was this that chat system? I remember having to use this to join pick up games with randoms. Felt like a match but you were matched with randoms. A good way to practice your competitive side.

IRC what the chat system, mIRC was one of the more popular clients for using it.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Clans in online (FPS) gaming. Do they still exist as they did 10+ years ago?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived