This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Volta GDDR6

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Nvidia Volta GDDR6

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 months ago#1
Will be the first video cards to feature GDDR6.

Seems like we've been using GDDR5 for like 8+ years so it's a good time as any for a change.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/23554/nvidia-ramping-up-12nm-volta-production-vega-not-seen-as-a-threat-to-pascal

Well I guess it's not "guaranteed" to feature GDDR6 but there's a good chance.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
3 months ago#2
sad that AMD has such a lockdown on HBM2.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
3 months ago#3
Yeah, a memory manufacturer let slip (or not?) a month or two ago that a new high-end video card would be released in early 2018 featuring GDDR6 memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA stretches it out a little bit.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#4
HBM 2 is in low stock to anybody not named AMD and so far it doesn't really seem to be doing much for gaming, so yeah not shocking Nvidia is just jumping to GDDR6 instead of f***ing around with HBM
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

monkmith
3 months ago#5
yohabroha posted...
HBM 2 is in low stock to anybody not named AMD and so far it doesn't really seem to be doing much for gaming, so yeah not shocking Nvidia is just jumping to GDDR6 instead of f***ing around with HBM

HBM2 has shown fairly consistently that its the superior memory, especially for higher resolution gaming. its a shame nvidia isn't using it and i really hope its because AMD is hoarding it not because nvidia wants to spite anything AMD was involved in developing.

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#6
monkmith posted...
yohabroha posted...

HBM2 has shown fairly consistently that its the superior memory, especially for higher resolution gaming. its a shame nvidia isn't using it and i really hope its because AMD is hoarding it not because nvidia wants to spite anything AMD was involved in developing.

why are Nvidia cards cranking out the same performance in high resolutions if its such a superior memory? it's one thing if AMD just isn't using it to its full potential, but so far GDDR5 is keeping up against what is supposed to be the thing that makes GDDR5 obsolete.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

monkmith
3 months ago#7
yohabroha posted...
monkmith posted...
yohabroha posted...

why are Nvidia cards cranking out the same performance in high resolutions if its such a superior memory? it's one thing if AMD just isn't using it to its full potential, but so far GDDR5 is keeping up against what is supposed to be the thing that makes GDDR5 obsolete.

you answered your own question. look at comparisons between the fury x and the 980Ti, or hell even the 1080Ti. fury x outperforms the 980Ti at 4k and comes much closer to the 1080Ti.

AMD isn't making cards that can render as quickly as nvidia, but HBM2 lets the rendered images load and unload much faster then GDDR5/5x/6. rendering 4k comes much closer to GDDR5/5x/6 saturation point then it does to HBM2.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
3 months ago#8
monkmith posted...
rendering 4k comes much closer to GDDR5/5x/6 saturation point then it does to HBM2.

Which means it's way ahead of its time. GDDR is still obviously able to game very well at 4K and it'll be another generation or two before people can reasonably expect to push things further than 4K/60 FPS.

AMD jumped on HBM way too early. It's painfully obvious after observing Vega. If AMD could have secured primary rights to the technology and developed it while still utilizing GDDR, I feel that Vega would have looked much different and/or would have released much sooner. But I'm guessing that AMD didn't have the resources to do that or their engineers were shortsighted about HBM.
(message deleted)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Nvidia Volta GDDR6

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived